Ventilation of TR2…

The TR2 has the particularity of not being able to accommodate an additional fan in front, due to its radiator grille located three or four centimeters in front of the radiator, which is insufficient, the fans easily exceeding five centimeters of thickness… :(

The only possibility, then, is to install a fan in the rear. But if there is enough space above the propeller, it is insufficient for its height… <_<

There are only a few solutions left: either remove the propeller, or avoid slowdowns in hot weather, or resolve to slam your head gasket… :unsure:

The first solution does not suit me in principle, the second, practiced empirically, is not realistic in the south of France. As for the third one, we will easily understand that it does not have my favors either… :huh:

There remains a fourth solution: install a fan above the threatening metal propeller. I looked, in vain, for a small fan likely to fit into the twenty centimeters available between the propeller and the top of the radiator… and I found a 144 mm suction fans with an indicated flow rate of 530m3 / h !  Mounted in parallel, the flow would therefore be 1060 m3 / h, or about two thirds of the flow of a 305 mm suction fan that I could have mounted by removing the propeller… :rolleyes:

Not so bad, right ? Certainly, it should be considered that the cooling would only take place on the upper part of the radiator, but, by definition, water circulates throughout the radiator, so… :rolleyes:

These points validated and my order received, it is advisable to tackle the manufacture of a fairly solid support, rigid and positioned so that these newcomers have no contact with the propeller which would then do just a mouthful, full of plastic crumbs !

This is where my friend Jean-Louis comes in, for whom this kind of head juice is his favorite pastime… :D

Initially starting on an aluminum plate, he quickly directed me towards aluminum angles combining lightness, strength and above all rigidity… :)

A stair nosing :o

63B80B24-4E27-4CA4-82EE-4135635D3BFF.thumb.jpeg.63bb7915fff5b92f7bb185b5bfbe21a5.jpeg

Twin fans:

We can, all the same, come to tinker by being irreproachable clothing ! :D

B6FE28A1-E2D9-4741-9AD8-EC71863BBC2B.thumb.jpeg.c5f768a65e394b42bb4191f28b1361b4.jpeg

Corpus delicti:

We will notice in the upper left corner, the radiator mounting bracket on which we will bolt our beautiful support…:ph34r:

8028501A-1851-4CA0-9341-81D3E3A3510F.thumb.jpeg.40ef81cc8ce66bf6b32909a9c28670e7.jpeg

Onward to manufacture !The brackets intended to bolt our part to the upper fixings of the radiator ...

460C64AD-72D7-4CA5-B7D2-EC3D98C4C8B2.thumb.jpeg.27f583b631478fd4e301c1006d60150d.jpeg

………

Edited by Teher

Nice piece, right ? :wub:

D737B0AF-0D78-4E06-AC8A-5ADADA27488E.thumb.jpeg.62e8650642b410484425210078bd58ea.jpeg

Looks like she comes out of the merchant… :D

6A351552-7B18-4CA0-ABAA-AF462BFEC39E.thumb.jpeg.3f77d4123a2ef37e95bbbf2b8bbcd2ef.jpeg

The piece is superb, no ? 

Must say that in the demanding genre, Jean-Louis arises there! He adopted Ettore Bugatti’s adage: "Beauty is efficient"… :)

7D27EDC8-7E94-4EEA-8C62-51551050CBC3.thumb.jpeg.ad6c54aa33c5bb565af5352650042722.jpeg

But… Hell and damnation !!! :blink:

The part is slightly too low and there is barely the thickness of a finger between the top of the propeller and the bottom of the additional fan… ;)

The fault with these fixing brackets intended to bolt on the upper support of the radiator and which lower our set of the one to two centimeters which we miss at the bottom ! :unsure:

4279C740-2F9A-4A88-8B0A-50AD5F28D131.thumb.jpeg.9d355bcf1271e45024445eb9efb1d88f.jpeg

The part itself is however perfectly validated, only the bindings being in question… 

It remains to design new ones, the difficulty being the angle of almost 50 ° between the support and the legs ... But Jean-Louis is not a man to let himself down, the solution is arriving yet… ;)

The continuation to the next episode… :)

• Teher changed the title to Ventilation of TR2…

I run my 3a here in sw France with temperatures of 40C with standard radiator and cooling system but with a standard triumph  tropical  fan and I have never had a problem of overheating even in a traffic jam.

cheers 

Alan

13 hours ago, Kiwifrog said:

I run my 3a here in sw France with temperatures of 40C with standard radiator and cooling system but with a standard triumph  tropical  fan and I have never had a problem of overheating even in a traffic jam.

cheers 

Alan

I drive a stock TR2 with tropical six bladed mechanical fan without issue in Sydney's summer heat. I also have my daily driver TR2 with an electric fan behind the radiator instead of the mechanical fan.

Both have standard radiators, water pumps etc.

No issues with either car until the temperature gets over 40 deg C when I just have to keep an eye on them in very heavy traffic. I live 5km west of the city so am in heavy traffic reasonable regularly.

I don't understand TRs having cooling problems way up north in the UK and Europe.

They have always been hard to find, mine was from a forum friend.

I imagine your fan installation will work quite well. As long as the cooling system is clean it doesn’t need much more than a little extra air to keep the car cool even in quite warm climates.

cheers

Alan 

13 hours ago, Teher said:

Unfortunately, the tropical fan is unavailable… :(

It is the same as the Triumph 2000 fan. A six bladed metal fan not the later plastic ones

18 hours ago, Teher said:

Unfortunately, the tropical fan is unavailable… :(

You mean one of these ?;) Though mine has 7 blades, must be for the Sahara. Came off a Californian import.

20210705_064400.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
23 hours ago, Teher said:

Beautiful piece!

Enough to cross Death Valley in the middle of summer!

B)

Actually not sure what it is off. Someone had already taken the engine out of my TR3 when I got it, and this was in the boot along with various other bits and bobs. I assumed it was from the car, but it might not have been. Could it be from a Grey Fergie tractor I wonder.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's it !

The fans are operational !

I spent the afternoon at JL's house, where, as a zealous assistant, I accompanied, with an interested eye, the electrical installation of the two fans...

They are mounted in parallel, with earth connection on the upper radiator retaining cross member and "disappearance" of the wiring in the seamer….

Which then disappears under the main wiring to cross with it the firewall ...

To reach the control panel ...

Which contains at the bottom and in order, the control of the fans, that of long-range and that of the anti-fog and at the top the USB socket to power my phone, because you can taste antiques immoderately, rolling or not and fit perfectly into its time !

The most attentive readers will have noticed the small switch intended to avoid short circuits because, dixit JL (I can not hear anything there and hear continuing to hear nothing) with a + to the ground, it burns very easily its USB cable and at the price where the Cupertino company sells its accessories, it is stupid

On the return trip, despite the mild temperatures and a noticeable absence of traffic jams, at the end of the afternoon, I did my best to heat the car and be able to trigger the fans in order to check the extent of their performance.

Assembly validated !

It works and damn well since the temperature drops quickly to the level of the mano !

Well, in the evening JL was already thinking of improvements to the system but the best being the enemy of the good ...

BEB25803-58CF-4B8B-8737-4EEE693E2F57.jpeg

Edited by Teher

Nice conclusion Teher.  
The fact it does what you hoped is so pleasing.

I too have seen the outcome of + ve earth cars electrical circuits and modern usb peripherals   Made a nasty mess of my friend’s sat-nav in his Daimler Dart.   Converting the car to - ve earth solved all the heartache and worries of wiring fires when the usb items were plugged in.

Cheers

Peter W

A warming of the planet took place in the Middle Ages and in the 17th century it was very cold ...
In Toulouse, it's hot in summer and cold in winter ...
My TR2 got hot, in summer, in traffic jams and not in winter ...
Now I can face traffic jams without fear! :D
As for the earth +, I want to keep the car as much of its original features as possible and it is to avoid inconvenience as much as possible that a switch has been fitted. ;)

Edited by Teher