Spray on rust for original patina on rebuilt cars ?

https://www.dunelm.com/product/rust-oleum-aged-iron-textured-spray-paint-1000147559?defaultSkuId=30648895

Overview

Designed to provide a rich textured and multi-coloured finish, this premium spray paint from Rust-Oleum can be used on a range of metal and wood surfaces to replicate the look of traditional aged iron. Providing excellent coverage and with lasting colour retention, this spray paint can be used for interior and exterior projects for versatility.

My TRs previous owner was a big believer in it and has used it extensively on the bodywork….I’m repairing as I go !

Mick Richards

Decades ago at a car show, there was a booth for a business where you could have semi-permanent "mud" appied to the sides of your four wheel drive truck to make it look like you've been off road.

Ed

Edited by ed_h
spelling
3 hours ago, Deggers said:

One coat too many.  ^_^

TRrusA1.thumb.jpg.8a2e7dbaf1ff505a55abcd8a39b8e869.jpg

Deggers

What a brilliant shot! :)

Couldn't it be saved? Replacing rusty body parts is doable. Seems a real pity. Cars in even worse condition have been saved, haven't they?

10 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Replacing rusty body parts is doable.

Unfortunately, I think you'd end up replacing one of everything David. 

The car is well known in the area, and there are forum members who know a lot more about its history. But as far as I'm aware, the proprietor died about 15 years ago. The garage and cars now belong to his son, who I believe has been unwilling to sell. 

Deggers

I think Deggers is about right. I pass that place regularly and sometimes stop for a nose. It looks like the axle, gearbox and engine are the only parts which might survive. 
The owner doesn’t want to part with anything from that site. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 2:08 PM, Drewmotty said:

I think Deggers is about right. I pass that place regularly and sometimes stop for a nose. It looks like the axle, gearbox and engine are the only parts which might survive. 
The owner doesn’t want to part with anything from that site. 

Isn't it still a pity, though?

Reminds me of all the "barn finds" stored for yonks. Cars are for driving. I always find car museums depressing.

Long-term storage: on the one hand, allows the passage of time and moisture to slowly destroy a vehicle. On the other, possibly preserves it from the crusher.

The car is in a village called Chapmans Well. We visited the chap who owned the place about 15 years ago. The TR is not the only treasure.. In the garage behind were many more TRs in various states of decay alongside a couple  of Dino Ferraris and some Jags.  He took us to a large barn behind which was stuffed with more Triumphs including some spits, heralds and GT6s. I had a spit at the time and he had. Spit chassis on its side. I asked him about it and it was bought NOS from Triumphs back in the day. Never used! Amazing place that seems to be being left to decay. We look in on it each time we pass and marvel at the lost opportunities. Will be passing on Tuesday, may take some shots if anyone is interested?

Cheers 

Tim

50 minutes ago, Tim D. said:

The car is in a village called Chapmans Well. We visited the chap who owned the place about 15 years ago. The TR is not the only treasure.. In the garage behind were many more TRs in various states of decay alongside a couple  of Dino Ferraris and some Jags.  He took us to a large barn behind which was stuffed with more Triumphs including some spits, heralds and GT6s. I had a spit at the time and he had. Spit chassis on its side. I asked him about it and it was bought NOS from Triumphs back in the day. Never used! Amazing place that seems to be being left to decay. We look in on it each time we pass and marvel at the lost opportunities. Will be passing on Tuesday, may take some shots if anyone is interested?

Cheers 

Tim

If your down this way come and say hello.

Stuart.

6 hours ago, stuart said:

If your down this way come and say hello.

Stuart.

Stuart, often thought about popping in. Spend all out holidays in Cornwall usually between falmouth or Fowey sometimes with the triumphs.  In Bude at the mo with busy schedule, but next time I'll pop over. 

Cheers

Tim

14 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Stuart, often thought about popping in. Spend all out holidays in Cornwall usually between falmouth or Fowey sometimes with the triumphs.  In Bude at the mo with busy schedule, but next time I'll pop over. 

Cheers

Tim

Your always welcome if your about.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, PaulAnderson said:

Have just looked at Chapmans Well on Google Earth, StreetView and there’s several old cars outside of a building so I assume that’s the place.

Paul

Yep

I don’t want to sound like a killjoy, but I think the least said about the place, and the minimum number of photos on the internet are best.

It’s fine for enthusiasts, but it also encourages people with less “Honorable intentions” to find the place..

Charlie.

Kinda agree but it's known on the Internet and has been for more than 20 years. 

I often see people taking photos when I drive past. Just one of those enigmas. 

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, Tim D. said:

Kinda agree but it's known on the Internet and has been for more than 20 years. I often see people taking photos when I drive past.

Well, in that case, show us the other cars :ph34r: