Storing hood and sidescreens in boot.

I still have not worked out the best way to carry the hood and sidescreens around in the boot.

I have been putting the hood folded flat on the bottom  first, just fits nicely between the wheel arches. I have then been placing the first sidescreen flat down on the hood with the legs tucked under the rear lip of the boot, outside face down on the hood. I then place the second sidescreen outside face down on top of the first one, but no matter how I try I cannot avoid one of the legs of the bottom one pressing into the  outside of the top one and leaving an impression in the vinyl and I am worried it might tear it eventually.

What have you guys arrived at as being the best way?

Ralph

Horrid things.   Best stored in the garage or on the car.

If you have early flappy bottom sidescreens they will stand behind the seats.  Not so rigid later type ones.
I place the soft top on the legless midget shelf behind the seats and tease the sidescreens into the boot as you describe.  Placing cloth under the offending leg.

Go to aeroscreens and then there is no point in transporting the things.

Peter W

I place sidescreens outside down, legs pointing rearwards 1 on top of the other, adjusting sideways to get the flatest fit, then place hood on top.

Bob

I have my hood in a custom made soft bag in the boot. The sidescreens are usually left hanging upon the garage wall, but if going away for a few days, then the sidescreens in first, at the bottom with insides towards each other, legs tucked under the rear valance also in a soft bag. 

james

Having just spent a couple of weeks re-covering my side screens and making new windows I want them to last, so I’m going to make a couple of “Bags” to slip over the transparent parts. I discovered that Dunelm sell fleece “Throws” (Silly name) for £6.00 . I recon one will be enough to cut up to make 2 bags. I’ll probably get another one to make a bag for the hood.

The fleece is not that thick, but it is soft, and should offer some protection from scratches.

I also made the fabric bottom part of the sidescreen so that it folds up and I can slip the legs each side of the transmission tunnel, and the top is low enough to get the tonneau on.

Charlie.

21 hours ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Only have the tonneau cover in the boot. Nothing else.

+1….That’s been my modus-operandi for my 40+ years of side screen driving……..

However, fair to say I have progressively become more and more of a fair weather driver over the yeB)ars 

On 7/3/2021 at 7:00 PM, Lebro said:

I place sidescreens outside down, legs pointing rearwards 1 on top of the other, adjusting sideways to get the flatest fit, then place hood on top.

Bob

Same. With old towels between them for protection.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:00 AM, Lebro said:

Bob

Same as Bob but with a foam kneeler mat between the screens. This separates them and is useful for emergency, roadside activity(kneeling and praying the fix will work!). I keep the hood in an old plastic suit carrier with old towels either side of the screen (these are useful too!).

Miles

I have gone down a different route. I leave my soft top attached at the back and roll it up and secure it with a couple of straps around the hood and hood bows. Saves time getting it on when wet weather comes. Also doesn't crease the windows. I don't use a tonneau but easy enough to unclip at back to put one on. Works for me.

Brian

On 7/3/2021 at 10:00 AM, Lebro said:

Bob

As Above with cloth between screens. cheers, Bill.

20 hours ago, brian-nz said:

I have gone down a different route. I leave my soft top attached at the back and roll it up and secure it with a couple of straps around the hood and hood bows. Saves time getting it on when wet weather comes. Also doesn't crease the windows. I don't use a tonneau but easy enough to unclip at back to put one on. Works for me.

Brian

I actually did that myself on Sunday when the weather was sunny one minute and raining the next. I unclipped it around the corners and folded it back on to the bootlid. I put the bows fully down though where they normally live when not in use. I then folded the corner windows in, keeping them flat, then folded the hood twice and over the bows in to the car where it nicely hung down the front of the tank. Looked very neat,  with just a bit if the bows showing at each side.

Then the heavens opened, so I didn`t take the car out anyway, but I was quite happy with the hood on that way and may well leave it like that for normal running around and leave the bow cover at home, also one less thing in the boot.