Just wondering if anyone has come across my problem of the upper inner steering column being off centre,this seems to be causing the horn to sound intermittently when l lock the wheel, any thoughts anyone

cheers lan

Hi Ian,

it would be difficult for the inner column to be off centre unless it was bent after the upper bush or the bush was seriously eccentric. But these would not affect just the end of turn.

What makes you think it is off centre ?

There may be other reasons for the horn sounding.

Roger

Hi Roger, have checked the upper and lower bushes and they look solid but as you see from the photo that it looks off centre will now check the slip ring insulator to make sure that its correct.

Cheers lan

20210701_165414.jpg

Hello Ian

In my experience problems with horns sounding when they shouldn't is because the steering wheel boss is too close to the column. Back it off a fraction by the  top clamp on the column where it enters the engine bay. This can only be done if the central part of the inner column can slide up and down inside its sleeve. I have wrestled for many a day trying to release the central part from the tube of the inner column. Plenty of penetrating oil and patience (and a bit of hammering) eventually prevailed. I could only do this by removing the top part of the column by releasing the top splined connector in the engine bay and removing the top adjusting clamp and pulling the inner column out of the outer. Attach the steering wheel temporarily so you have something to pull with. If you do decide to change the bushes (top and bottom) then I recommend the uprated ones rather than what are described as 'standard'. I did once have to scrap one top column (the original one) because it had worn the metal where the top bush is located. Why that had happened I don't know since the bush should have been the bit to wear rather than the inner column. There should be little or no sideways play at the top. If you can move the steering wheel sideways or top to bottom and there is play then the bushes need replacing.

The only other issue I had once was where the wire attached to the slip ring became detached and the horn sounded when I braked. The wire was earthing somewhere. This was cured by re-soldering it back in place.

Good luck

Keith

On my 6 resto both the inner and outer columns were bent, either from a shunt or from pulling on the wheel to get out.

I couldn't get them both perfectly straight and had to file off part of the boss that fits into the collar of the outer column to stop them touching when turning the wheel.

All seems fine, although I haven't fitted the horn 'pencil'.

48 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

Hello Ian

In my experience problems with horns sounding when they shouldn't is because the steering wheel boss is too close to the column. Back it off a fraction by the  top clamp on the column where it enters the engine bay. This can only be done if the central part of the inner column can slide up and down inside its sleeve. I have wrestled for many a day trying to release the central part from the tube of the inner column. Plenty of penetrating oil and patience (and a bit of hammering) eventually prevailed. I could only do this by removing the top part of the column by releasing the top splined connector in the engine bay and removing the top adjusting clamp and pulling the inner column out of the outer. Attach the steering wheel temporarily so you have something to pull with. If you do decide to change the bushes (top and bottom) then I recommend the uprated ones rather than what are described as 'standard'. I did once have to scrap one top column (the original one) because it had worn the metal where the top bush is located. Why that had happened I don't know since the bush should have been the bit to wear rather than the inner column. There should be little or no sideways play at the top. If you can move the steering wheel sideways or top to bottom and there is play then the bushes need replacing.

The only other issue I had once was where the wire attached to the slip ring became detached and the horn sounded when I braked. The wire was earthing somewhere. This was cured by re-soldering it back in place.

Good luck

Keith

Thanks keith I'll check that out

46 minutes ago, jpmf said:

On my 6 resto both the inner and outer columns were bent, either from a shunt or from pulling on the wheel to get out.

I couldn't get them both perfectly straight and had to file off part of the boss that fits into the collar of the outer column to stop them touching when turning the wheel.

All seems fine, although I haven't fitted the horn 'pencil'.

Thanks looks like it's a strip down again