Can any body tell me the exact overall length of a TR crank + flywheel. I believe the long nose and the short nose with flywheel are identical.

11 hours ago, Peter Douglas Winn said:

I believe the long nose and the short nose with flywheel are identical.

Yes, they have to, since all clutches with gearboxes are interchangeable with respect to crank and flywheel.

Yes but what is the length. My one with flywheel is now in the car and I forgot to measure it before installing it.

I think the nose of the crankshaft can vary a bit in length from crank to crank...the nose being that round section upon which the damper fits.

...not much, but enough to effect how deep it fits into the pocket of a 'fan eliminator washer'.

Peter,

The original "short nose" crank from my TR6, CP54529-O is 26" long, give or take a few thousand's of an inch. I knew that keeping it under the bench would come in useful one of these days.

I still have memories of the engine rebuilder cursing me for wanting to install the NOS cross drilled crank that I had when rebuilding the engine many moons ago as he really struggled to get all of the wax out of the various drillings!

Derek

Crank 1.jpg

Crank 2.jpg

Thanks, fantstic information.it is just what I needed. A Garage is trying to tell me I can use a short nose crank with a long nose Flywheel. He won't believe me that it is not correct. I read somewherre the Triumph decided for some reason to beef up the Flywheel, hence the change in length.

• 2 weeks later...