11 hours ago, Eddie Trickett said:

I have converted to RHD so do I need TR5 rhd wiper arms?

Thanks Eddie 

Yes so you have the correct crank on the passenger side, 4/4a/5 are all the same.

Stuart.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:20 PM, Eddie Trickett said:

Thanks Stuart,

Got one  , and blades from Moss today  other to follow.

I am surprised that they are not as large or robust as TR6 wipers and the blades are smaller.

Eddie 

Yes theyre essentially a carry over from TR4/4a

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Something tells me that the LHD wiper arms for this car series…TR5 & 250 were available in both polished and Matt finish.   Which was correct for original 250?

Peter W

51 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Something tells me that the LHD wiper arms for this car series…TR5 & 250 were available in both polished and Matt finish.   Which was correct for original 250?

Peter W

Polished.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally tried the wipers today after adjusting the park position. Trouble is they don't clear the screen in front of the driver. Is this because they are LH wipers or because the sweep is insufficient.  They only seem to sweep around 90 degrees  which doesn't  seem enough. I am wondering  if I have a mix of bits which are incompatible.  The wiper motor has 120 degree gear and the wheelboxes are original. From memory I  bought a TR6 rack.

Any thoughts anyone.

Thanks Eddie 

Hi Eddie,

when you say they do not clear the screen in front of the driver -

do you mean that they sweep but not remove water - this may be  that the rubber blade is set in a curved position - Use silicone blades.

Or is the blade not sweeping far enough - adjust the park position to get the driver position swept.

Are you using the TR4A  wheel boxes. These are bigger in diameter than the TR6 and should sweep the full screen.

Roger

Hi Roger,

It is the sweep that doesn't  look enough., I  haven’t tried it in the rain, just trying to get the car ready for its MOT. It might even be less than 90 degrees so the park position would be nowhere near the bottom of the screen.. I have checked the wheelbox for play and there doesn't seem to be enough to cause this problem.

The wheelboxes and tubing came with the car and are probably TR250, which I think are the same as the TR4. As I said I think the rack is TR6 but I  can't see how that could make much difference.

Eddie 

Hi Eddie,

If you have left hand wipers then they need to park on the lefthand side - not good.

Even with a decent sweep the LH arms will not clear the RH side of the screen.

You need to fit RHD arms   131105 & 131106 (Moss numbers)

With these you can get the arms to park at the bottom of the screen on the drivers side by adjusting the top cap on the wiper motor or removing the arms and fitting where you want them.

Are you sure the wiper motor drive gear is 120 and that the wheel boxes are from a TR4A and/or TR5 (P/No 37H6316). 

I believe that the TR6 wheelboxes have a smaller  and so may sweep further.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have double checked and the wiper sweep is around 90 degrees. Also found similar problem in TR4 forum  in 2011. Looks like I might have to change the wheelboxes.

The suggestion was to change to TR6 wheelboxes  which are a better design and make. I am sure you are right and I will have to use rhd wiper arms, which is a pity because the new ones are very flimsy compared to the original lhd arms.

Thanks Eddie 

Hi Eddie,

I'm sure that the Workshop manual gives a dimension for the rack projection. This will confirm that the motor gear wheel is 120' or not.

The TR6 wheelboxes are a smaller diameter than the TR4/4A/5 and so will give a bigger arc (possibly too much)(and reduced torque - not good)

With the correct motor gear wheel and the TR4/4A/6 wheel boxes it must be correct.

Replace the wiper arms with RHD types and use silcone blades - the arms will be stiff enough - honest

With LHD arms you will not be able to see fully and could possibly be an MOT failure

Roger

Roger

I have got rh arms and new blades, the sweep it totally inadequate, less than 90 degrees.

Bought 2 new Lucas wiper boxes from Tatton Park yesterday, part numbers 72744A and 72850A ,but they seem to be identical, both with 22 teeth. Took a chance at £10 each, hopefully they will sort the problem.

Eddie 

Hi Eddie,

those numbers are not recognised by the Moss catalogue 

If you are positive that the motor gear wheel is 120 degree and that the rack can only be correct then the spotlight must point to the wheelboxes.

The TR4/4A wheel box has a bigger diameter wheel than the TR6 wheelbox

The TR6 wheel box would make the blades go over the window edge.

Your reduced sweep means you either need a smaller gear wheel in the wheelbox OR  you have completely the wrong boxes fitted.

Have you taken the wheelboxes out to see what you have got - something is seriously wrong.

Roger

Peter,

It is squarish,  2 speed, number 75568B on the plate.

I think I  have resolved the problem. I have taken out the wheelboxes. They are completely wrong,  34 or more teeth,  not easy to count. They came with the car which was an abandoned project so I assumed they were original.

That would account for the reduced sweep. 

The motor definitely has 120 degrees marked on the gear and the new wheelboxes, which are old stock Lucas,  have 22 teeth and the part numbers, which are original  Lucas numbers , appear to correspond to the Moss number Roger quoted so I am confident that all will be OK when I put it all back together.

A bit of a fiddley and uncomfortable job though.

Eddie