TR4A replacement seats

On 11/27/2021 at 9:50 AM, PaulAnderson said:

For perhaps the ultimate go for Ridgard seats but the current range on the web page does not seem to show the recliners that they used to make

I just bought a pair of Ridgard seats earlier this year (not for my TR4), at that point the company had only just re-started production and were only making one or two models and I see their website now doesn't have any of the old recliner models. However they did say they were planning to expand the range again so it may be worth checking with them on that. 

(In my TR4 I have Moss seats that came with the car. They suit me very well, they are more supportive laterally than they look.)

Nigel

1 hour ago, Jase said:

I find my original TR4A seats very comfortable, must be something wrong with me :) 

Nothing wrong with you - you must simply be a perfect match to your seats :) 

....... Andy 

Seat changes are hardly an irrevocably destructive swap to make and if you are using the car comfort is an issue.

I fid the 4A seats and the early 6 seats very comfortable but the other half's back struggles if a passenger for over an hour.  Swap to MX5 seats resolved that.

The Mk1 & Mk2 MX5 seats fit and there a few variations. You just need the adaptor brackets from the likes of TR Bitz.

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

You just need the adaptor brackets from the likes of TR Bitz.

Or make your own from the drawings on the Technicalities CD.

Stuart.

On 11/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, stillp said:

Great, there's two of us then!

Pete

+ 2 more nothing at all wrong with TR4A original seats, for approx 300,000 miles and counting

Had Ridguard seats for years with four point harnesses and roll cage. Bob Ridgaurd even made the passenger seat wider due to my better half breaking her hip. Lovely seats

and very comfortable. Wind forward  a few years and when strapped in I could not reach the glove box and found (both of us) a tad struggle to get in and out. Took the roll cage out  and fitted Mazda seats of which have done 1000s of miles in them. I love my Mazda seats, recline, head rest's, easily transverse front and back.

Just love them.

Regards Harry

8 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Had Ridguard seats for years with four point harnesses and roll cage. Bob Ridgaurd even made the passenger seat wider due to my better half breaking her hip. Lovely seats

and very comfortable. Wind forward  a few years and when strapped in I could not reach the glove box and found (both of us) a tad struggle to get in and out. Took the roll cage out  and fitted Mazda seats of which have done 1000s of miles in them. I love my Mazda seats, recline, head rest's, easily transverse front and back.

Just love them.

Regards Harry

Have done a couple of thousand (rally) miles now in my Ridgards bought at the beginning of this year. They give excellent support they are however quite a 'motorsport' shape with a very pronounced back-slant to the seat cushion. Also I should have ordered them with lumbar support which I will get retro-fitted when I get round to it. They are probably less likely to suit people for multi-purpose use than a more conventional seat will, I suspect. And I'm not sure how well they would work with inertia reel belts (I have harnesses and my seats were made with the appropriate harness slots).

Nigel