TR4A replacement seats

Newbie alert, please be patient. As a new, and proud, owner of a TR4A I'm currently absorbing everything TR. I've looked back and seen numerous posts, and read, that MX5 seats are the way to go to replace the ones in a TR4A. I have some reservations because buying secondhand online (eBay etc) I wouldn't be able to see their condition, living in the northwest of Scotland, when all available ones are way down south. I looked at new replacement and found that a Sparco R100 might fit. An added benefit is that it's a recliner. I'm think that when I come to get a tonneau I can buy one without humps, leaving only the roll cage to contend with. I'm 6 feet, slim ish, (hope this is allowed ). My question is has anyone else fitted this seat or anything similar?

Les

Hello Les

Welcome to the forum. For info I removed my non adjustable 4A seats without headrests for TR6 seats that are adjustable and do have headrests (although a bit too low for me). When fitting these I had to extend the back of the runners so that the locking lever held the seat down. The TR4A seats do not have a locking lever at the back. Rebuilding the TR6 seats was a bit of a challenge though especially the friction mechanism that holds the headrests in place. This part seemed to be unavailable so ended up modifying some rubber threaded rawlplugs that seem to work.

I had the 4A seats for years and got used to them. Only reason I fitted the TR6 seats was a 'bargain' purchase of a dilapidated pair of seats at Malvern a few years back. When I say 'bargain' - only because I was able to refurbish them myself.

Suggest you meet up with other TR owners and try their seats before changing what is after all the original seats.

Keith

Les = again welcome to the forum.

MX5 seats are a popular modification as It sounds like you have noted - most people find them a lot more comfortable than the original seats.

Paul Bishop is well known for converting MX5 seats to TR spec, and will supply the whole lot including the seats and mountings for a very reasonable cost, in my opinion. The only problem you will face is that he won't post seats - they have to be collected from his workshop near Winchester  - what colour do you want the seats as he replicates most, but not all, of the TR interior colours.

Have attached some photos of black with white piping and red with white piping for info

PM ( personal message) me if you would like more info

Cheers Rich 

IMG_0002 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0003 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0004 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0006 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

Many thanks for all of the replies, sorry I'm late coming back, got dragged out on unexpected domestic duties. The Paul Bishop seats look great however I don't want leather and collecting from 635 miles away isn't that handy. Most TR's just pass through here, and not that often, again not easy to find one to sit in, which would be ideal. Hopefully find another one in the North of Scotland. I think I've gotten used to an excellent seat in my V40. Sitting in the TR there doesn't seem to be a lot of back support. Also I would like to recline a bit and get away from the steering wheel as much as practical. The Sparco R100 would also suit the full harness I think. 

22 hours ago, Les Millington said:

Many thanks for all of the replies, sorry I'm late coming back, got dragged out on unexpected domestic duties. The Paul Bishop seats look great however I don't want leather and collecting from 635 miles away isn't that handy. Most TR's just pass through here, and not that often, again not easy to find one to sit in, which would be ideal. Hopefully find another one in the North of Scotland. I think I've gotten used to an excellent seat in my V40. Sitting in the TR there doesn't seem to be a lot of back support. Also I would like to recline a bit and get away from the steering wheel as much as practical. The Sparco R100 would also suit the full harness I think. 

Les - I know of a pair in Banchory and I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind showing you his seats if that's anywhere near. Pauls seats are leather fronts but not the backs - if you asked him, he might be prepared to do them all in non leather.

The MX5 seats don't tip up like the TR ones, but the backs do pivot forwards to get access behind them, and hence they recline ( space permitting) as well

Cheers Rich

3 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Les - I know of a pair in Banchory and I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind showing you his seats if that's anywhere near. Pauls seats are leather fronts but not the backs - if you asked him, he might be prepared to do them all in non leather.

The MX5 seats don't tip up like the TR ones, but the backs do pivot forwards to get access behind them, and hence they recline ( space permitting) as well

Cheers Rich

it's about 212 miles away from Skye so we're getting closer! We do get some groups of TR's travelling to the island so I'll look out for them, there's no rush I've got to get the car to stop properly first.

Hi Les, I got a good pair of MX5 seats from www.autolinkmx5.com, they are a bit closer (Castle Douglas) and pretty reasonable

Regards

David

If you are not adverse to originality, then MX5 seats are a good replacement.

They are more comfortable and have the added safety of a head rest/high back.

The early ones have a separate headrest, whereas the later models are one piece and are more readily available/cheaper.

12 hours ago, brenda said:

Evening Les, there’s 12 TRs coming up to Skye for a holiday in September, we’ll keep an eye open for a Tr other than  our group driving around.

Mike Redrose group 

The way this summer's going September feels like only a few weeks to go. Will there be any notice of exactly when they're here on any media?

They’re a bit rare, but the MX5 Limited Edition cars came with leather seats. Back when I bought my TR4A, I was lucky to find a pair from a ‘96 LE (separate headrests). I was doubly lucky in they were the same tan color I was changing my interior to.

Jim

5A4AEA6E-DDD8-48C9-8834-0CD204C9CDA1.jpeg

B4534F33-5146-40F1-9E64-CAA7F1E27994.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I have a pair of MX5 seats with detachable head rests and runners for sale
So does any one want a pair of dark/black  fabric covered seats with detachable head rests and seat runners.?  
Detachable headrests means you can get the tonneau on without having pockets sewn into it.  

Same style as those photographed in this thread.

They are in excellent order with no foam damage that so often happens to the seat corners.  These could go straight in a dark colour trim car as the covers are not tatty.

The seats can be collected from Pinner with the runners and head rests for the price  I paid.  £ 65.00. The Pair.

Please PM if interested before I ebay them.

I will photo if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Peter W

77A77F20-B598-42C5-9000-24C51556265F.jpeg

7DE8CAD1-DB4F-41D5-92C1-C3360B1159D0.jpeg

E6656B81-6B9A-4BF6-9865-D911D609FBCE.jpeg

378DB689-AF2B-4CFF-9505-1D085499961C.jpeg

64F6C9FB-9962-4CBE-8287-9261ECC6E4EA.jpeg

63D24A7D-CB16-4B18-AD0C-6CC147C74FB3.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

It was the early Mk 1 MX5 seats that were one piece and the later ones had the seperate headrests.. Some of the early ones  (like mine) had speakers in the headrests which makes it a bit easier to hear over all the other noises. It also means that you do not have to cut holes in the doors or kick panels. I re-trimmed mine in leather with a kit from the Car Trimmers in the UK. Don’t think they are around any more but there are others on the internet. Easy to do with a pair of hog ring pliers.

23 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I have a pair of MX5 seats with detachable head rests and runners for sale
So does any one want a pair of dark/black  fabric covered seats with detachable head rests and seat runners.?  
Detachable headrests means you can get the tonneau on without having pockets sewn into it.  

Same style as those photographed in this thread.

They are in excellent order with no foam damage that so often happens to the seat corners.  These could go straight in a dark colour trim car as the covers are not tatty.

The seats can be collected from Pinner with the runners and head rests for the price  I paid.  £ 65.00. The Pair.

Please PM if interested before I ebay them.

I will photo if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Peter W

77A77F20-B598-42C5-9000-24C51556265F.jpeg

7DE8CAD1-DB4F-41D5-92C1-C3360B1159D0.jpeg

E6656B81-6B9A-4BF6-9865-D911D609FBCE.jpeg

378DB689-AF2B-4CFF-9505-1D085499961C.jpeg

64F6C9FB-9962-4CBE-8287-9261ECC6E4EA.jpeg

63D24A7D-CB16-4B18-AD0C-6CC147C74FB3.jpeg

Seats now spoken for.   To go in……an Eunos.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I knew I'd contributed to forum posts on this in the past so here's a few links as a starting point.  One discusses how to search for other posts on the subject.

REPLACEMENT SEATS - TR4/4A Forum  post 1

low level seats TR4a - TR4/4A Forum  Post 2

MX5 seats - Alec's Inn - Post 3

I'm tall and have had MX5 seats in mine  for a few years, the ones with the separate headrest.  That's largely for my partner as she wanted recliners.  They're definitely higher than standard 4A seats even when mounted as low as they can go.  I finally had them re-trimmed in the correct midnight blue for my car earlier this year at great cost and they look fabulous.  But, I also took off the sun visors to give me that small bit of extra sight line at the windscreen header rail as I was otherwise stooping to see out.

For perhaps the ultimate go for Ridgard seats but the current range on the web page does not seem to show the recliners that they used to make

Usually come to Skye at least once a year, though not so often in the TR.

Paul

Crossing the bridge to Skye

4 hours ago, PaulAnderson said:

I knew I'd contributed to forum posts on this in the past so here's a few links as a starting point.  One discusses how to search for other posts on the subject.

REPLACEMENT SEATS - TR4/4A Forum  post 1

low level seats TR4a - TR4/4A Forum  Post 2

MX5 seats - Alec's Inn - Post 3

I'm tall and have had MX5 seats in mine  for a few years, the ones with the separate headrest.  That's largely for my partner as she wanted recliners.  They're definitely higher than standard 4A seats even when mounted as low as they can go.  I finally had them re-trimmed in the correct midnight blue for my car earlier this year at great cost and they look fabulous.  But, I also took off the sun visors to give me that small bit of extra sight line at the windscreen header rail as I was otherwise stooping to see out.

For perhaps the ultimate go for Ridgard seats but the current range on the web page does not seem to show the recliners that they used to make

Usually come to Skye at least once a year, though not so often in the TR.

Paul

Crossing the bridge to Skye

Thanks for the sub links Paul, I'm having the same discussion in my head and have been trying to picked various post headings this will be very useful

David

I installed seats from a '73 TR6. They recline, etc. have headrests, and bolt right in. No height issues. The headrest has to be adjusted to the maximum to really provide any protection. Seat covers same from John Skinner.

Please wait while image is uploading...

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3196.JPG