fellow owners, a question, if you  purchased a tr3 restoration imported by another owner from the united states before the nova certificates where introduced (2013) will there be a future problem registering the vehicle with the DVLA. when all you have for proof of ownership is just a hand written receipt and no official looking documents like a v5 to support ownership. has anyone encountered problems with this type of registration. 

9 minutes ago, R.M. said:

fellow owners, a question, if you  purchased a tr3 restoration imported by another owner from the united states before the nova certificates where introduced (2013) will there be a future problem registering the vehicle with the DVLA. when all you have for proof of ownership is just a hand written receipt and no official looking documents like a v5 to support ownership. has anyone encountered problems with this type of registration. 

There should still have been an import doc, cant remember the number offhand but you certainly got one on import to show tax paid.

Stuart.

You will need to convert the pre nova import paperwork into a NOVA this can be easily done bu contacting HMRC Dublin offices ,if you do not have the old paperwork it can still be done using the Ts vin number , you will not be able to register via the V5/55 scheme without doing this the DVLA stopped accepting the old C&E certificates at the start of this year . 
any problems mail me on 

v765@tr-register.co.uk

graham

42 minutes ago, tr graham said:

You will need to convert the pre nova import paperwork into a NOVA this can be easily done bu contacting HMRC Dublin offices ,if you do not have the old paperwork it can still be done using the Ts vin number , you will not be able to register via the V5/55 scheme without doing this the DVLA stopped accepting the old C&E certificates at the start of this year . 
any problems mail me on 

v765@tr-register.co.uk

graham

interesting, and if you have no official import documentation at all, possibly lost or kept by the previous owner, would that be a stumbling block to registration?

13 hours ago, R.M. said:

interesting, and if you have no official import documentation at all, possibly lost or kept by the previous owner, would that be a stumbling block to registration?

They have toughened up in recent years, but Graham reckons you can get the Nova by using the Vin No of the car, so that would be my first step, and would give you the first piece of official paperwork.

A build certificate from Heritage or the Standard Motor Club would give you the second piece of paper.

You have a receipt from the previous owner, admittedly hand written, but it is there. Can you not go back to them and ask for something more "official" looking?.

When you come to do the registration you could get an MOT using the vin no. Not strictly necessary, but gives you proof that the car exists in a roadworthy state.

Do the application through the club, well worth the fee, and adds credence to the application.

Out of interest, how far away from finishing the car are you?  Rules change all the time and may be different by the time you get it restored if some way in the future, but I would still try to get the paper trail as soon as possible to keep with the car.

Ralph.

11 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

They have toughened up in recent years, but Graham reckons you can get the Nova by using the Vin No of the car, so that would be my first step, and would give you the first piece of official paperwork.

A build certificate from Heritage or the Standard Motor Club would give you the second piece of paper.

You have a receipt from the previous owner, admittedly hand written, but it is there. Can you not go back to them and ask for something more "official" looking?.

When you come to do the registration you could get an MOT using the vin no. Not strictly necessary, but gives you proof that the car exists in a roadworthy state.

Do the application through the club, well worth the fee, and adds credence to the application.

Out of interest, how far away from finishing the car are you?  Rules change all the time and may be different by the time you get it restored if some way in the future, but I would still try to get the paper trail as soon as possible to keep with the car.

Ralph.

sorry for a delay in replying. to your last question, i purchased the tr3a in 2005, it is a all steel body post TS60000, it was an import as mentioned and was apart from a few bits and pieces complete and in very good condition, the previous owner having used parts to finish off a tr3 that he subsequently sold, he purchased the car from another who was i do believe the importer, i had no nova type certificate when purchased but did get a hand written bill of sale as i do believe nova's certificates did not exist then, included in the sale was a brown logbook for a UK registered car and set of number plates including the EB and body identity discs for a latter tr3a around the TS70000 mark, though this is not currently registered with the DVLA so no V5, i assumed the seller was going to transfer the UK identity to the US import as some conversion work was carried out to change from LHD to RHD and indeed included in the sale was a RHD steering rack and RHD dashboard, personally i am more than happy to keep the car as it came from the factory in a LHD US speck so may well change the attempts to convert it  i am restoring the tr3 during winter time as this is all the time i have as summers are always full workwise so i cannot say i have a deadline to restore it. i am not sure what the original import documents look like and would like to think there may be a department at the DVLA that would have a copy of the originals so i can get a copy but looking at the DVLA site i think that may be wishful thinking on my part.

It certainly seems that the PO intended to use the UK logbook and put that ID on the car.  Does the Logbook tally with the identity plates you were given? The fact that it is not on the DVLA database is good in some ways as it means that identity is not on another car.

Someone may correct me on this, but at the back of my mind I have an idea that it was possible to bring cars in without paying import duties if they were listed as being used spare parts. If this was the case with yours then maybe there are no import papers. That means that when you come to register the car you may be liable for duties and VAT at the current rate, which would be a sizeable chunk of money as they would base it on the value of the finished car.

Many years ago I registered several Lambrettas imported from Italy, maybe different then as we were all together in the EU, but all it was necessary to do was obtain a dating letter from the relevant club and apply for registration and were given an age related number. Indeed that was still the case until fairly recently under the DVLA "Reconstructed Classic" scheme, and get an age related number. Unfortunately at the same time as MOT exemption was granted for "Historic" vehicles, the DVLA tightened up on what constitutes a Historic vehicle, and reconstructed classics are not recognised as being historic simply because they have no history, and are therefore NOT exempt from MOT and Car tax, and because exact date of manufacture cannot be determined are given Q registrations.

Ralph

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

It certainly seems that the PO intended to use the UK logbook and put that ID on the car.  Does the Logbook tally with the identity plates you were given? The fact that it is not on the DVLA database is good in some ways as it means that identity is not on another car.

Someone may correct me on this, but at the back of my mind I have an idea that it was possible to bring cars in without paying import duties if they were listed as being used spare parts. If this was the case with yours then maybe there are no import papers. That means that when you come to register the car you may be liable for duties and VAT at the current rate, which would be a sizeable chunk of money as they would base it on the value of the finished car.

Many years ago I registered several Lambrettas imported from Italy, maybe different then as we were all together in the EU, but all it was necessary to do was obtain a dating letter from the relevant club and apply for registration and were given an age related number. Indeed that was still the case until fairly recently under the DVLA "Reconstructed Classic" scheme, and get an age related number. Unfortunately at the same time as MOT exemption was granted for "Historic" vehicles, the DVLA tightened up on what constitutes a Historic vehicle, and reconstructed classics are not recognised as being historic simply because they have no history, and are therefore NOT exempt from MOT and Car tax, and because exact date of manufacture cannot be determined are given Q registrations.

Ralph

with regard to the body numbers i received a standard motor club build certificate in 2019 from a Mr. Ellis and a Mr. Groom confirming the vin number and body number from the production records so safe to say that car is genuine one and from what the seller said at the time the body shell was too far gone but the identity was at least saved, i don't mind making a new shell from the many unnamed parts out there but taking a perfectly good US car (i do have a heritage certificate with this car) with a complete identity is wrong in my view.

Edited by R.M.

Ah, I didn`t realize you had a heritage certificate with the car, in which case you have the Vin no, so worth applying to HMRC to check if they have it on record as Graham suggested.

Puzzles me why the PO passed on a spurious logbook if your car already had its identity, unless he thought there may be a problem.

Ralph

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ah, I didn`t realize you had a heritage certificate with the car, in which case you have the Vin no, so worth applying to HMRC to check if they have it on record as Graham suggested.

Puzzles me why the PO passed on a spurious logbook if your car already had its identity, unless he thought there may be a problem.

Ralph

yes he may well have, but it came with the car, and was a package, so who am i to complain. i think it all comes down to having a complete car on the road so to speak before you can apply for a registration, at least you have something tangible rather than parts on the floor.