Fitting Replacement Speedo Cable

Help please!

Speedo has stopped working, remaining permanently on "0" Have had the car for 28 years without changing cable, so thought this may be the problem and purchased replacement (existing speedo reconditioned and re-set for different tyres a few years ago). Have fitted new cable at speedo end and assumed I would be able to fit gearbox end from underneath, however unable to find where it goes in (have overdrive). The drawing in my Haynes Manual suggests I should be able to fit from underneath - am I wrong? Do I have to gain access from inside instead? Don't have a pit - only ramps so access underneath a bit limited. 

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Is the cable most likely to be the problem, I wonder also?

Thanks in anticipation!

Chris Porter

It could be the speedo cable has not quite fitted into the square hole at either end so perhapss try again from the dashboard end and wiggle it a bit to get it to fit properly.

My pic shows where it goes but it is a non-overdrive version but thought it was in a similar place.

Speedo.jpg

As yours is an overdrive gearbox the speedo drive is on the other side from where Richard shows it.  Access is very difficult from below as the exhaust pipe and gearbox mount etc are in the way.  

There is a right-angle drive which the speedo cable should be attached to and which in turn is fitted to the gearbox. It is possible your problem is a failure of that drive - not an uncommon occurrence.  If it has failed, the cheap replacements from the usual suppliers have a bad reputation.  Good quality ones are rather more expensive. This photo is from an earlier thread on the subject:

P1010722.JPG

Thanks Richard and Rob - very helpful, especially pictures. I can see now that with the overdrive the speedo cable goes in immediately above the exhaust pipe so no way of reaching it from underneath. In view of what you say about right angle drive, I might now replace that as well. Will post how I get on.

Thanks again.

Chris

13 minutes ago, Chris.Porter said:

Thanks Richard and Rob - very helpful, especially pictures. I can see now that with the overdrive the speedo cable goes in immediately above the exhaust pipe so no way of reaching it from underneath. In view of what you say about right angle drive, I might now replace that as well. Will post how I get on.

Thanks again.

Chris

It’s easy to replace from the underneath, how did you remove the old one? Or did you just remove the inner