4A front upper valence

Hello Troops - I’ve been to visit Betty ‘in hospital’ today. What a ‘rotten’ life she had before we got her. Every week reveals some more ‘gbh’.   Poor ‘old girl’.
On the bright side her repaired wheel arches look great

I will be so glad to get her back, she’s been gone too long.

Anyway, more bodged repair work has been discovered to the front valance/inner wing.  My engineer is going to repair both but we can’t find a photo that shows what these parts look like where they join and they don’t line up either.  Hope this photo shows the area we need a photo of so he can effectively repair both panels.

Many Thanks as always

Christine

571EDDC1-FCF6-4E1B-929C-DA8532B7F177.jpeg

B0B934DF-8324-4347-9704-018E18F44E5E.jpeg

Good Evening Pete - your photos are just perfect, very clear and detailed.   My engineer can now form the missing extensions to the valance and inner wing before moving on to the LH wheel arch and sill area…

Many Thanks

Christine

Hi Christine,

Can I suggest that you purchase the two Filler panels - 850457 & 850458, shown on page 180 as item 70 in the Moss Catalogue.

These infill the gap between the wing and upper valance and will give to a better chance of achieving the correct contours.

Regards, Richard

As above "Richard's" suggestion on obtaining the filler panels. Assuming your ones are beyond repair. If they are OK, get back to us for additional/different advice.

These are a complex shape and need to be welded to the front wings at a precise position to match the front valance contour. You may have to add metal to the valance to achieve the perfect contour.

The front wings need to be temporarily fitted on the car at the correct position in relation to the door/wing gaps BEFORE the filler panels are welded to the wings, as any variation in the wings position [forward or back] will effect the face of the filler panel to the valance.

You should also fit the bonnet to ensure the front inner wings are in correct alignment with the bonnet BEFORE any final welding. [The inner wings will have some slight movement].

Later on you may consider strengthening the valance to the inner wings as my attached pic. My hand fabricated modification makes a considerable difference to the rigidity of the front panels.

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

12 hours ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi Christine,

Can I suggest that you purchase the two Filler panels - 850457 & 850458, shown on page 180 as item 70 in the Moss Catalogue.

These infill the gap between the wing and upper valance and will give to a better chance of achieving the correct contours.

Regards, Richard

Unfortunately the current crop of those infill panels arent very good and are the wrong shape and need work to get them to fit. Comparison pictures below, the one in primer is original and needed a bit of lead repair which is there ready for filing

Stuart.

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00039.JPG

Edited by stuart

Hi,

The gap between the upper front (headlight) panel and the extreme end of the inner wing, where the rain channel ends, is critical in determining the fit of the bonnet, too wide here when the outer wings are fitted and the shut line looks awful, too narrow and the bonnet will just not fit, have the bonnet temporarily in place before any final welding takes place.

Cheers Rob  

Thanks Richard for input and Stuart for the really useful photos - following everyone’s advice  I think my engineer is going to make the infills, as one offs.

Thanks Malbaby for your photos of your inspired idea, will show my engineer.

and Rob/Malbaby for warnings regarding refitting these panels.

PS - Stuart - I used to drive our 3A from Newquay to Truro every day to work at Stratton & Holborow,Lemon Villas back in the 70’s!

Stay Well Everyone 

Christine

• 2 months later...

Hello Troops - been over to see Betty, well I go every week to do the ‘apprentice’ jobs! Had to chisel sound proofing off the ‘rear seat’ , it was like brittle treacle toffee!  Has put me off sticking Dynamat on freshly painted panels? There wasn’t any carpet underlay so ordered that.

Anyway I thought I would show you how this repair section has come along.  
Moved round to the passenger outer sill now. I ordered the Heritage replacement but there was a picking error and cheaper one sent.  The Heritage one arrived and it’s really worth the extra, fits so much better.

Fingers crossed she will be ready for the TR Tour to Norfolk in October:rolleyes:

Take Care Everyone 

29FAD453-5A16-4054-BF6B-F3D46B455163.jpeg

32F6C24E-2A4D-4E9F-89EA-576DF0B75A35.jpeg

Hi Christine,

Your Restorer may well have picked up on it, but just to confirm each of the return ends of the lower valance have open slots cut in them and should be placed on outside face of the inner wheel arches.

The front wing infill then sits on top to make a sandwich; the lower valance returns have these slots in them so they can then be moved in or out to get the best fit with the outer wing.

On the prototype TR4’s these joints which are visual under the bumper were fitted with stainless steel trims, all the Sales Catalogues show these trims, however when the production cars came along the trims had disappeared, part of a cost cutting exercise I would have thought.

I modified two of the lower rear wing S.S. trims and fitted them on the front as I think it looks neater and more finished.

Regards, Richard

Am I correct in assuming that the bonnet/hood is just sitting loose ATM, and not in it's correct position...and [pardon me for saying] that you have complete confidence in the repairer.

Edited by Malbaby