TR4A Trailing Arm Chassis Bracket Bolt Size?

Hi

The is the first time I've had to post as I always previously found my questions had come up and been answered many times before! Thanks everyone.

So I'm just stripping the  rear end and have wiggled the O/S trailing arm from the car c/w the two chassis brackets (pivot bolt heads were facing outward unfortunately).

I was interested to find each bracket had a fine thread and a coarse thread bolt holding it to the chassis rail.  At first I thought one UNC and one UNF but on checking I've got a 3/8 UNF and a M10!

So I just thought I'd check they should be 3/8 UNF in case the PO really was raiding the spare bolts bin that day for anything that would fit.

I've now got the excitement of seeing what's fitted on the near side!

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith,

welcome to the forum.

The Moss paper Cat should have al the info in plus a bit more as there are some wry comments here and there.

The WebCat is also useful for  a quick look up.

The bolt numbering system is handy to know

The bolt BH606261 which you are interested in

B - bolt   (S - Screw)

H - hex head

6 - UNF   (5 - UNC)

0 & 6  - diameter  in 1/16" increments    (6 - 3/8")

26 - length 1/8"- 3 1/4"

1 - zinc plated ?

I'm sure this is in the PaperCat

Roger

Correct, Roger - the information is at the start of the General Hardware section, which is at the back of the paper catalogue.  In my Issue 17 (quite old now!), it is on page 150.

Ian Cornish

Hello Keith, when you put it all back together remember to put large washers or even better a plate behind the nuts to spread the load, there are some photos on here of my chassis where the nuts pulled through a less than 10 year old chassis due, I suspect, to the point loading on the small washers, cheers, Andrew

Thanks Andrew. My rails look solid in that area but they’ll get some load spreaders just in case! I’ve also found that my TA mounting brackets are solid and crack free but unfortunately both TAs have small cracks in the “normal” place just forward of the hub mounting flange. 

12 minutes ago, KeithEM said:

Thanks Andrew. My rails look solid in that area but they’ll get some load spreaders just in case! I’ve also found that my TA mounting brackets are solid and crack free but unfortunately both TAs have small cracks in the “normal” place just forward of the hub mounting flange. 

Keith  - I have some spare refurbished 4A trailing arms if you are looking for a pair  - PM me if of interest

Cheers Rich

IMG_0085 - Resized.JPG

IMG_0086 - Resized.JPG

IMG_0087 - Resized.JPG

IMG_0088 - Resized.JPG