A Living Legacy

that looks like living hell why would anyone want to do that.

think i need to by a lottery ticket so i can go and see for myself........ selfless research you understand !!

http://www.targa-florio.it/ab/classica/classica/

Visited Sicily a couple of years ago. A sometimes infuriating but ultimately fascinating place. Definitely worth considering for a visit.

For lovers of antiquity, it is absolutely stuffed with places to visit with a huge variation in influences having been invaded regularly by virtually everyone in Europe and north Africa. The huge wealth that Sicily once experienced is still evident in its old buildings. Even Palermo has some real gems scattered around the city (including one of the largest opera houses in Europe). 

For fans of Montalbano, you can visit locations used in the series. 

And of course you can hire a car and follow to route of the Targa Florio and imagine you are participating or watch the Classica - it will still be warm in October. Top tip - if you hire a car, get a small one to get down all those narrow streets in those Baroque towns. You soon understand why most of the cars on the island are battered. For a really erudite history of the race, try David Owens book on seventy years of the TF.

Back to the film, I was struck by the similarity of the front end of the 718 and my late 21 year old 996 Boxster, which would have absolutely loved the TF course!

Miles