Noisy RHP clutch release bearing

There are a few new old stock RHP bearings about one of which I’ve recently fitted to my TR4. 
When the new bearing was unpacked it felt a bit notchy. I put this down to the old grease settling and going hard in storage.  A few minutes with a heat gun had the grease re distributed and the bearing spinning smoothly. 
It’s only done 300 miles so far but time will tell. 

Edited by Drewmotty

Hi Mark,

was the noise due to the bearing and not the GB itself?

I see that the Moss bearing GRB211 is apprx £20.  I'm sure I paid twice this from them about five years ago. and my RHP is working well.

Revington sell  this https://www.revingtontr.com/search.asp?for=clutch release bearing&cartype=tr6cp and more like the right money.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Mark,
I went for the Revingtons H/D release bearing with the phosphorus bronze carrier, very happy with it. If I recall correctly the bearing was marked up as Toyo.

19 hours ago, Mark69 said:

Looking for recommendations for clutch release bearing , had the box out again due to excessive noise. Found the new rhp bearing contained particles of metal swarf .

You can't open the bearing,

so how did you find it "contained" metal swarf?

4 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Mark,
I went for the Revingtons H/D release bearing with the phosphorus bronze carrier, very happy with it. If I recall correctly the bearing was marked up as Toyo.

Hi Kev , I’ve heard the toyo bearing works best with b&b clutch, but makes the laycock much harder.

10 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mark,

was the noise due to the bearing and not the GB itself?

I see that the Moss bearing GRB211 is apprx £20.  I'm sure I paid twice this from them about five years ago. and my RHP is working well.

Revington sell  this https://www.revingtontr.com/search.asp?for=clutch release bearing&cartype=tr6cp and more like the right money.

Roger

Hi Roger, definitely the bearing. I’ve ordered a new one,  but I’ve also cleaned out the old new one thoroughly with petrol and an airline runs whisper quite. Contemplating repacking with grease.

3 hours ago, Z320 said:

You can't open the bearing,

so how did you find it "contained" metal swarf?

My mistake cleaned the original bearing also, I think that’s were the contamination came from. These RHP  bearings aren’t 100% sealed , so cleaning out and repacking shouldn’t be a problem.

21 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

There are a few new old stock RHP bearings about one of which I’ve recently fitted to my TR4. 
When the new bearing was unpacked it felt a bit notchy. I put this down to the old grease settling and going hard in storage.  A few minutes with a heat gun had the grease re distributed and the bearing spinning smoothly. 
It’s only done 300 miles so far but time will tell. 

Hi Andrew, mine was really notchy but very noisy, now that I’ve cleaned it I’m sure it will be ok to use once regreased.

This bearings indeed are not sealed, but how should dust come in?

I used the old one that came with the car for further 12 years without any problem.

It's not in use anymore because of a Sachs concentric unit - but well stored.

Just an idea: could it be something else is your problem?

In which situations "something" was noisy, and how was it noicy, please?

Edited by Z320

Manners sell a Koyo bearing as the uprated version. Being slightly heavier it will eventually eat into the clutch cover but the driven plate will wear out first.

The quality of the supplied RHP “originals” has been iffy for years and personally wouldn’t bother. I know some re-grease them prior to fitting, but if you fell that needs doing the logical extension is that other aspects of quality may be similarly deficient.