Revington Surrey top conversion.

Hello folks,  much as I love my TR4, the surrey top really annoys me.  It's not one that seems prone to flying up, it fits fine, it's just that it's such a faff to put on.  The car sits happily under the carport with no top fitted, as that's how I usually drive it.  However, I often jump into my wife's car for a quick trip for shopping if rain is imminent, because I can be halfway to the local supermarket before I'd got the surrey erected.  It is very expensive, but has anyone got first hand experience of Revington's conversion, which could be the solution.  All I can find in the Forum is a comment that it might be a bit baggy!  Toodle pip, Mike.

27 minutes ago, MikeyB1 said:

Hello folks,  much as I love my TR4, the surrey top really annoys me.  It's not one that seems prone to flying up, it fits fine, it's just that it's such a faff to put on.  The car sits happily under the carport with no top fitted, as that's how I usually drive it.  However, I often jump into my wife's car for a quick trip for shopping if rain is imminent, because I can be halfway to the local supermarket before I'd got the surrey erected.  It is very expensive, but has anyone got first hand experience of Revington's conversion, which could be the solution.  All I can find in the Forum is a comment that it might be a bit baggy!  Toodle pip, Mike.

Easy to make your own but the quality of the Revington one is very good 

Hi Mike, converted my 4a, not with a revington kit but with second bits bought from here and there, it really is an excellent mod, also I was able to reuse my Surry top, cheers, Andrew

Hi Mike,

I have a TR4a which had a soft top with a TR5 latch assembly at the front header rail. I purchased a surrey top some years ago and during the lockdown decided to fit it to the car.

I have kept the current H frame and used the TR5 front fixings, I had to modify the front hood metal panel by panel beating two depressions so that it clears where the 

H frame fixes to the front.

I also dispensed with the little threaded thumbscrews at the rear bar in favour of a fixed threaded rod which is fixed using a large washer with a mickey mouse eared 

wing nut.

The fabric cover was made to measure (by me) and it can all be erected very quickly.

There are a few small creases when erected but no more than I have seen on cars with professionally tailored ones.

Total cost was 2 metres hooding, wing nuts some adhesive, pop rivets, and my time.

I have tested this at maximum  permitted speeds with no problem, not yet tried in the rain !

Best regards Lee 

We have discussed this at length on here several times with TR4/4a in mind, if you do a search it should bring up the relevant thread, this one for a start should help Surrey top

Stuart.

Thanks for the replies chaps.  Have looked at your suggested thread Stuart, lots of ideas, thanks. I'm actually now toying with the idea of using an old hood header rail, fixing the front of the existing Surrey top to that (I may have to sew a strip of vinyl on to that to get sufficient material to do that) and then welding on 2 studs to the header which will fit through the hard top fixing holes in the windscreen capping and frame, and then using wing nuts to secure.  As long as I can just bung the fabric on quicker than at present, I don't mind spending a few minutes sat inside, out of the rain whilst I tighten down the top.   Your comments, gentlemen would be most welcome.

1 hour ago, MikeyB1 said:

Thanks for the replies chaps.  Have looked at your suggested thread Stuart, lots of ideas, thanks. I'm actually now toying with the idea of using an old hood header rail, fixing the front of the existing Surrey top to that (I may have to sew a strip of vinyl on to that to get sufficient material to do that) and then welding on 2 studs to the header which will fit through the hard top fixing holes in the windscreen capping and frame, and then using wing nuts to secure.  As long as I can just bung the fabric on quicker than at present, I don't mind spending a few minutes sat inside, out of the rain whilst I tighten down the top.   Your comments, gentlemen would be most welcome.

Problem with studs on the rail makes it awkward to stow and likely to damage the soft section , you`d be better off with the captives welding on the rail and then just have two long bolts to fit up through the frame to bolt it down.

Stuart.

Someone contributing to this topic mentioned that a Spitfire header rail would also fit the TR4.  Can anyone confirm this as on that well known auction site Spit bitz have a Mark IV 1500 frame at a reasonable price.  Ta very muchly, Mike.

1 minute ago, MikeyB1 said:

Someone contributing to this topic mentioned that a Spitfire header rail would also fit the TR4.  Can anyone confirm this as on that well known auction site Spit bitz have a Mark IV 1500 frame at a reasonable price.  Ta very muchly, Mike.

It then means you need all the mods to the screen frame as the Spit frame locks in the same way with the handles.

Stuart.

Right, don't want to do that.  I like to work on the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I'll continue to search for a 4a/5 frame/header rail.  Thanks again Stuart.  Mike.

5 minutes ago, MikeyB1 said:

Right, don't want to do that.  I like to work on the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I'll continue to search for a 4a/5 frame/header rail.  Thanks again Stuart.  Mike.

Might be a bit dear for you purposes but theres a complete hood and frame on the classifieds now Hood and frame and its a 4a one you want as the 5 one still has the handle fixings

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Yes I did see it Stuart, thanks, but that and the petrol to collect it puts it to around £300.  Does seem a bit steep for my purpose, but they're not exactly plentiful, some I'm not ruling it out completely yet.  At the risk of losing it, I'll hold fire for a little while just in case something more suitable ( should read cheaper) turns up.  Mike.

17 hours ago, stuart said:

It then means you need all the mods to the screen frame as the Spit frame locks in the same way with the handles.

Stuart.

Thought about this again Stuart after I saw a Spit frame for sale.  I can't see why I couldn't just remove the handles completely.  The header could then be modified as per my suggestion in an earlier post.  My real concern is whether the shape and size of the Spitfire header is the same as the TR4.  Any ideas?  I assume that it must be as some owners have used this set-up.

Cheers, Mike.

2 minutes ago, MikeyB1 said:

Thought about this again Stuart after I saw a Spit frame for sale.  I can't see why I couldn't just remove the handles completely.  The header could then be modified as per my suggestion in an earlier post.  My real concern is whether the shape and size of the Spitfire header is the same as the TR4.  Any ideas?  I assume that it must be as some owners have used this set-up.

Cheers, Mike.

Possible I suppose though Ive never done them that way.

Stuart.

So yes the Spit header rail does fit, I retained the handles and fitted the Revington TR4a screen top conversion kit, which is rather more intrusive, however it suited me given the complete restoration I was undertaking

Rgds

David

DSC_0586.JPG

18 hours ago, ntc said:

Yep but you have to modify the sunviser holes 

Only if you use a Spit screen frame.

Stuart.

• 7 months later...

Hi Adrian,

the original surrey soft top works well but does take 5 minutes(ish) to fit.

Have you considered using an umbrella for when you park up.  Easy to fit and as secure as the rest of the car.

If you need the two cups that conceal the attachment bolts contact me for further info.

The Revival MotorSport rear frame really is top class.

Roger

Edited by RogerH