I fitted a Moss steering rack kit to my 3A about 20 years ago and it was (still is) a great improvement.  The rack seems a bit fragile for the TR and has needed reconditioning a couple of times. My problem is that the steering lock is greatly reduced, to the extent that 3 point turns have become a regular thing.  The rack is quite 'quick' - about 2.75 turns lock to lock. On targa rallies it can be a bind at times when trying to navigate around a test.

Does anybody else have this experience?  Is there anything I can do to the rack or is there a different rack which would do the job and give a better turning circle?

Hi Chas,

I have a modified TR7 Rack fitted which seems fine, I don`t think you could get more lock without the tyres fouling the inner wings. I have heard that the Mini rack used by some conversions restricts the turning circle.

Ralph

It would seem that a number of the rack conversions on offer increase still further the very large turning circle of the sidescreen TRs.

It's worth asking of the supplier what effect the conversion has on steering circle.

I know that Neil Revington claims that his offering does NOT increase the turning circle.

Ian Cornish

It's worthwhile to read Neil's full description of his kit, which includes the statement that it "removes inherent bump steer. Also due to a change in the steering arms, supplied with the kit, the new system provides toe-out on turns rather that toe in, which the original system exhibits. This ensures the car 'turns in' to corners rather than ploughing straight on".

Not cheap and requires welding, as Stuart has stated, but if improving the beast it's worth considering the various options and checking the all the facts.  As Neil says, some kits add several feet to the car's already large turning circle - and that is not an advantage in my eyes.

Ian Cornish

16 hours ago, Chas said:

Ralph - thank you.  I'm not far away - Bingley to be precise.  When you say 'modified', is that a diy job that I could do to a TR7 rack?

It involves shortening the track rods and tapping a new thread on to accept Spitfire/Herald ends, but the mountings for the TR7 rack are different from those used on the Mini rack and may not fit the brackets you currently have.  I have a cast alloy mounting bracket for the rack that I bought from Carl Fitchett ( TR Trader).

Ralph

Chas,

Hello, and welcome to our forum.

I've changed the title of your post from, 'Mr', hopefully to help with both more information for you now, and to help with future searchs.

Hope this is alright?

John.