Looking for recommendations where I can take my TR6 to have the crankshaft reground due to low oil pressure. Live in Reading, Berkshire, so would like someone fairly local with reasonable labour charges. Took it to one place, they took the sump off, changed the oil pump, put new shells in but said the crankshaft needed regrinding.  They didn’t have time to go for the regrind, or let me know before they put it all back together, and charged me £635. They said I should have good oil pressure for about 1500 miles and then they will have time to do the job properly! All in all, by the time I drove home (about 1/2 hours drive) oil pressure was back down to 25psi at 2000 rpm and just registering at tick over. Not happy one little bit!

8 minutes ago, Chris Seymour said:

Just looked on their web page. Can I just drop the car off for them to take the engine out? I don’t have the facilities to remove and transport it myself.

Chris

You will need to ask them.

Roger

48 minutes ago, ntc said:

Just to do a crank grind seems pointless to me ? And the garage that did the first part needs to be named 

The car had a full nuts and bolts restoration by the previous owner in 2016. He never used it, and I have added less than 2000 miles since buying it at the end of 2019. The place I took it to said all the top end looks new, or reconditioned. Only the crankshaft, oil pump and bearings were bad. Also said the crankshaft had been previously ground to +10, and that there was a lot of metallic matter in the bottom of the sump. Maybe the engine wasn’t flushed out properly when it was reconditioned? He showed me the wear in the oil pump and bearings. My gripe is, if he didn’t have time to do a proper repair, he shouldn’t of accepted the job in the first place. He said he had to change the parts he did, because the ones that came out were too bad, not that the new parts made any difference to the oil pressure. 

Hi Chris,

It looks a bit of a strange repair by that garage, but off course it may be explainable. Was the crankshaft measured while the garage replaced the bearings?

I would be tempted to remove the engine for a thorough inspection of all internals. 

If you have crank reground, make sure you agree on the clearances. I had my crank ground by a good company over here to factory tolerances (upper limit), but found the new King “trimetal” bearings gave an unexpected large clearance. So I ordered Glyco and these had a better fit. When I measured the King shells and compared with the Glyco’s, they were thinner.

Best method is to have the new shells fitted and torqued (without the crankshaft installed), then measure each bore and calculate the required journal diameter. Oh, and make sure each journal also gets a nice radius at each side.

Waldi

Hi Chris

That's bad practice from the garage you used very unprofessional in my view ,however your left with a major problem of where did all the metallic particles come from without a complete strip you will never know (maybe not all from crankshaft journals possibly camshaft??) if your having the crank removed go the whole way and have a complete check of the engine good luck

Chris      

40 minutes ago, trchris said:

Hi Chris

That's bad practice from the garage you used very unprofessional in my view ,however your left with a major problem of where did all the metallic particles come from without a complete strip you will never know (maybe not all from crankshaft journals possibly camshaft??) if your having the crank removed go the whole way and have a complete check of the engine good luck

Chris      

+1

Can't understand why the garage said the crank needed grinding, then ignored their own advice and fitted new shells to the old crank surfaces.

Bad practice and a waste of money/rip off.

Nigel

I’d be tempted to establish first of all that the crankshaft bearings are the cause of low oil pressure. It would have to be worn really badly for such a drop in pressure.  Does it knock or rumble when first started or driven? Could be other reasons for it. Mick will be a good person to ask.

Kevin 

Edited by boxofbits
12 hours ago, Chris Seymour said:

The car had a full nuts and bolts restoration by the previous owner in 2016. He never used it, and I have added less than 2000 miles since buying it at the end of 2019. The place I took it to said all the top end looks new, or reconditioned. Only the crankshaft, oil pump and bearings were bad. Also said the crankshaft had been previously ground to +10, and that there was a lot of metallic matter in the bottom of the sump. Maybe the engine wasn’t flushed out properly when it was reconditioned? He showed me the wear in the oil pump and bearings. My gripe is, if he didn’t have time to do a proper repair, he shouldn’t of accepted the job in the first place. He said he had to change the parts he did, because the ones that came out were too bad, not that the new parts made any difference to the oil pressure. 

Don’t throw good money after bad the engine will need full strip down to find what caused the issue 

13 hours ago, Chris Seymour said:

Protek  is where I took it!

Now that is not good to hear.

A company recommended by many in the TR community 

Roy

that is very strange as they have a very good reputation - 

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

I hear that Glen is no longer at Protek, so things may have changed.

Mick

Really? AFIK Glen is or was Protek.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart