Sorry all this is not a specific TR4 Question

I am selling my 1972 Spitfire and I have been asked (is it registered for MOT and road tax exemption) do I need to do that, I assumed that as it was so old it would be automatically exempt? It has been registered sorn for many years.

David, in order to be exempt from MOT and Tax it must be recorded on the V5 (logbook) as Historic in the taxation class. This is not automatic, you have to fill in the appropriate section on the V5 and send it in for a replacement document. This is free.   I think the reason buyers are asking is that if it is not already recorded as Historic, they would have to wait for the new V5 to arrive and then send it away again for the change, in the meantime if they want to use the car it would have to be MOTd and taxed.

Ralph

HI, I taxed my 1964 TR4 for Zero pounds! a few days ago and as I'd not had time to get the car MOT'd for many non related reason, I'd assumed I was going to have issues when I did it over the automated system on the phone and would have to sorn it, but it knew it was not MOT's and just asked me to confirm it was not substantially modified, I confirmed and it taxed the car, so that might be another way you can also do it now.

Mark

16 hours ago, MRG1965 said:

HI, I taxed my 1964 TR4 for Zero pounds! a few days ago and as I'd not had time to get the car MOT'd for many non related reason, I'd assumed I was going to have issues when I did it over the automated system on the phone and would have to sorn it, but it knew it was not MOT's and just asked me to confirm it was not substantially modified, I confirmed and it taxed the car, so that might be another way you can also do it now.

Mark

Hi Mark, yes easy to tax and sorn online now, but only in the taxation class already recorded, if not registered as Historic the application would require an MOT test and some money changing hands. The change to Historic has to be done by filling in the current V5 and posting it to Swansea ( though why it cannot be done online baffles me).

Ralph

Read somewhere (probably on this forum) that you can do most of this at a post office. They will change to historic and change status to taxed at zero cost while u wait but will retain the V5. A replacement V5 through the post should be quick as it’s processed automatically.
Will be quicker than posting to Swansea at it will then wait in a queue for a while. 
David B

Edited by David B2
Extra stuff

David

you are correct if the car is insured , take the V5 to a main post office  fill in the changes section ( taxation class) to Historic  the post office will retain the V5. Tax the car and give you a receipt , a new V5 will be sent from Swansea after a short while 

graham

Thank you all very much for your replies, that helps enormously even if it does seem like a lot of faff that could in this day and age be simply done on line, I sure they have their reasons.

Thanks again David

If all goes to plan. I registered my car for the first time earlier this year and paid £55 . After 10 weeks and still not having received a V5 I contacted DVLA. Their response was as far as they were concerned they had processed and sent out the V5 and if I had lost it it will cost me another £25 for a replacement.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, and DVLA will not use recorded post, so what happens if the replacement goes missing too, another £25? 

Why can`t they send it in a PDF by email and I can just print it out at this end?

Ralph

Ralph

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

If all goes to plan. I registered my car for the first time earlier this year and paid £55 . After 10 weeks and still not having received a V5 I contacted DVLA. Their response was as far as they were concerned they had processed and sent out the V5 and if I had lost it it will cost me another £25 for a replacement.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, and DVLA will not use recorded post, so what happens if the replacement goes missing too, another £25? 

Why can`t they send it in a PDF by email and I can just print it out at this end?

Ralph

Ralph

Could well turn up. I sent a parcel of parts to someone in Hertfordshire, and it took weeks to arrive having literally gone around the houses. I’d imagine they want to keep the print media/type, quality and colour production of the document consistent to help against fraud?

Kevin