Anyone else had issues with new handbrake ratchet racks from Moss? (this would be TR4 as well)

New one jams in the main lever tube at half way and is obviously a smaller radius then the original, teeth in different place, distance between the end holes different etc. Photo is an original bolted to a new one, the new one (top) has a greater arch and it's this that binds with the tuber inner surface.

The new pawl is also not identical but works OK with the old rack. Although the engagement pointy bit is cut to a different angle than the rack teeth which presumably means it will wear quicker.

MikeJ

20210617_141324.jpg

Yes I had similar problem before, got my machinist to cut me a new one from an original.

Stuart.

Have you reported this to Moss?

If not, please do so because, if Moss don't know, then nothing will happen to address the problem.

If you do not receive a satisfactory response, then raise a PQI report.

Ian Cornish

I fitted one of these , but I did not have an original to compare. I found that the handbrake would not move the full distance, only about 6 clicks of the 9 tooth rack. I rectified it by grinding away a bit at the top, under the top hole, as it was fouling the lever. I can now see from the above photo that the original rack was  more cut away at this same point. Have to say it now works OK after the mod.

Ralph

13 hours ago, ianc said:

Have you reported this to Moss?

If not, please do so because, if Moss don't know, then nothing will happen to address the problem.

If you do not receive a satisfactory response, then raise a PQI report.

Ian Cornish

Yes probably 9yrs ago.

Stuart.

I think MikeJ should report to Moss once again - and I feel sure that Ian Brown and Roger will note this as a possible PQI matter.

Ian Cornish

Reported and now in the post. Another owner said he had reported it but had not returned it for some reason and did not get a refund.

A quick scan of the parts books:

Ratchet : 107631 is in BOTH TR2-3 and TR4 parts books. (I have an ex-TR4 ratchet and it is indeed the same as my early TR3 part).

Pawl : 107632, ditto as Rack.

Lever assy : 107637 in BOTH TR2-3 and TR4 parts books BUT another version of lever 131321 fitted to later TR4's. My parts list references a commission number for the change but it's blank. (so, what's the difference and is it relevent?)

Importantly, lightly reprofiling the old rack's teeth with a Dremmel and squaring up the new pawl has fixed the problem of slipping of the top couple of teeth.

I did ream out the pawl and lever hole so I could fit a 6mm hard steel pin, this fixed all the slop and keeps the pawl in the centre of the rack.

Stay tuned!

Mike

Mike, The change to the lever assy from 107637 to 131321 reflected the change of the handbrake grip to the version with a push on method.

The handbrake assemblies do inter change but only as complete assemblies so you could fit a late TR4 version to an early TR2 with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bob, looking at my TR4 spare - the grip is indeed not screwed on. I have a nice chrome screw-on grip, one of many made by a Register member 30+years ago.

PS..Moss have now issued a Credit Memo (what every that is) so implicitly acknowledging that the supplied rack was wrong.

• 1 year later...

Same issue with this part not being correctly made.

That’s now the second ratchet and pawl from the same supplier that has failed in less than 4000 miles.

I managed to obtain a second hand original from Revingtons. When putting the original and remade parts together it is clear they are not even close to being the same.

The new ones may work for an initial short period but the engagement between the pawl and teeth of the ratchet is less than 1mm, leading to accelerated wear and quick failure.

…as this is a safety critical item, surely we should expect better from a major supplier?

Left pawl New, middle second hand, right reground second hand

top ratchet new, dark underneath ratchet original

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1133.jpeg