TR4 Horn sounds intermittently when manoeuvring.

Apologies if this topic has already been covered but I have a problem with my TR4 horn which sounds intermittently when manoeuvring at low speed. It is very embarrassing as you can imagine. I have been told I may have to adjust the steering column but have no idea in what way. Any help would be much appreciated.

HI, yes this happened to mine. It was the back of the boss on the steering wheel earthing out as I turned and pulled up on the wheel.

I fixed mine by insulating the back of the boss with some tape.

Might also be the wire earthing out as the insulation has rubbed through that runs down the column.

Bit of investigation and stripping needed I'm afraid.

Mark

Usually the steering wheel boss hitting the shroud.

Under the bonnet loosen the two 7/16” a/f bolts on the steering column clamp at the top of the column. Pull the steering wheel out a few millimetres and re tighten the two clamp bolts. 
Let us know how you get on.  

This old thread explains it Paul:

Edited by RobH
post moved from deleted duplicate thread at request of moderator

Sounds to me from what everyone is saying on this thread that the entire outer column is "live", and when it touches the steering wheel it completes the circuit to earth and hence sounds the horn. Surely then the cause of the problem is either the wire or the brass slip ring is touching the outer column somewhere. The brass slip ring is mounted on a piece of plastic to insulate it from the column so it was never intended to touch.

Moving the column away from the boss is a quick fix, but does not fix the root cause.

Ralph