Afternoon all.

I have never used this forum before only having a tr6 but have any of you come across CP1 before as some one local to me owns it, body colour 56, trim 13, engine CP28.

It is on the road and runs but is rough on tickover although pulls like a train once on the move, so a check of the cam required. I have given the owner a phone number of a man who should be able to make it run better.

mike797

19 hours ago, mike797 said:

Afternoon all.

I have never used this forum before only having a tr6 but have any of you come across CP1 before as some one local to me owns it, body colour 56, trim 13, engine CP28.

It is on the road and runs but is rough on tickover although pulls like a train once on the move, so a check of the cam required. I have given the owner a phone number of a man who should be able to make it run better.

mike797

Mike - this is really interesting and I'm surprised you haven't had many responses, as yet.

In the other recent post about CP2, a number of people commented they thought CP1 was a prototype and hadn't survived but if your neighbours car is genuine, then it's a real find.

When we chatted about this yesterday and I asked about any provenance, you said it had been implied the owner bought it at Auction in the not too distant past - if that's the case, I would expect there to be information out there about it, so lets see if anyone knows a bit more.

I'm sure the genuine early TR5s had features which were different to later cars, but those with a lot more knowledge will hopefully be along to confirm those differences and if you get a chance to look at the car, you can check to see if they still exist or there is any evidence of them existing in the past - for instance I do know that the very first TR5s had the fuel pump ( and presumably the PRV) on the bulkhead under the bonnet on the LH side.

Keep us posted

Cheers Rich 

Hello Richard.

I have just recieved an Email from the owner of CP1. He has the car being sorted by an old time mechanic. Who has changed the fuel pump and fitted it the boot as it was there when bought. I spoke to the mechanic on Sunday about this and other problems on the car and said that in my opinion it would be better for the car to be returned to original spec as posable it being number 1. The owner bought it not knowing if it really is number one and I dont know how much work has been carried out on it since he bought it. But I think he was suprised at how my car run when he saw it recently as this is why he spoke to me and mentiond his car and how it was scruffy and had a rubbish tick over. What he never told me is how nice his other cars are and how well they are kept, actually he never mentioned them other than to say he had other cars. So I suspect he will in time make CP1 as nice as his other vehicles. At the very least it is with a man who is an old car nut like most of us in this club.

I have told him that he can take my car for a drive if he wishes so that he can have something to compere it with..

mike797

Hi All,

Sometime between 1979 and 1983 I was trying to buy some original black seats for my 5 and went to Ron Hopkinsons in Derby who was a breaker of MGs and TRs. The back yard to his large terraced was full of scrap - all MGs and TRs in two rows all down the garden.

He said; have a look in that pile of seats at the bottom of the yard..... I said; there are a couple in that Blue 5 piled up with junk at the back of your house.

Sorry you can't have those, that car is CP1 ......  the registration looked familiar to me from the books I'd read as a kid.

Anyhow I found 1 drivers side and 3 passenger side in the mountain of seats and he charged me £35 for a pair - I still have the seats (and the car).

I wished I had asked how much CP1 was....... although it wouldn't have mattered as I was broke after buying my 5 for £375...

Halcyon days 

Chris

CP1 was built up "off tools" thus did not make it down the production line. CP2 was the first TR5 to have that distinction.  Nice car to own though.

Alan G

16 hours ago, Chris Mountford said:

Hi All,

Sometime between 1979 and 1983 I was trying to buy some original black seats for my 5 and went to Ron Hopkinsons in Derby who was a breaker of MGs and TRs. The back yard to his large terraced was full of scrap - all MGs and TRs in two rows all down the garden.

He said; have a look in that pile of seats at the bottom of the yard..... I said; there are a couple in that Blue 5 piled up with junk at the back of your house.

Sorry you can't have those, that car is CP1 ......  the registration looked familiar to me from the books I'd read as a kid.

Anyhow I found 1 drivers side and 3 passenger side in the mountain of seats and he charged me £35 for a pair - I still have the seats (and the car).

I wished I had asked how much CP1 was....... although it wouldn't have mattered as I was broke after buying my 5 for £375...

Halcyon days 

Chris

Chris

That's a great bit of History, I can just about Remember Ron Hopkinsons, I was at Wilmorton College nearby in the early 80's studying for my Electrical Engineering Apprenticeship, I also remember seeing the Adverts in Practical Classics Magazine back then for them.

Do you know it they where located were the Wickes DIY Store is now on London Road?

Gary   

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 10:58 PM, rcreweread said:

'm sure the genuine early TR5s had features which were different to later cars, but those with a lot more knowledge will hopefully be along to confirm those differences and if you get a chance to look at the car, you can check to see if they still exist or there is any evidence of them existing in the past - for instance I do know that the very first TR5s had the fuel pump ( and presumably the PRV) on the bulkhead under the bonnet on the LH side.

FWIW, I have what I believe to be an early TR5 MU, and it has a tapped hole in the top of the body to take a PRV (or a pipe to one). So the high pressure feed to the PI enters in the usual place, unregulated, and there's a PRV regulated outlet at the top. Presumably the outlet from that went back to the tank.

JC