Lumpy running

Hi Ernest,

If you are not already a member of the club, I would recommend that you join and get in touch with your nearest local group. I bet there will be a number of TR6 owners near you who would be willing to help diagnose the issue and help you solve it.  Joining a local group is more than just about getting help, it is also a gateway to a very social group of people who use their TRs for all sorts of activities: motorsport, touring, shows, whatever takes your fancy.

https://www.tr-registershop.co.uk/membership-11-c.asp

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/groups

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey
On 6/16/2021 at 4:34 AM, Ernest said:

a recent service carried out be a respected TR garage (about 50miles ago).

Just a thought, but why not go back to the garage that did your recent service? It sounds like the car was running well before it, but not well after it. Often it's best to look at what was last done to the car to figure out what's wrong.

Second thought: You say the lumpiness is rev-dependent. Is it possible it's actually throttle opening-dependent? If so, the butterfly balancing suggestions would be a good place to go. At idle, the air all comes via the idle screw, so butterfly imbalance immaterial (unless one more is open of course). At WOT, any butterfly imbalance has minimal effect on running. At part open throttle (particularly small ones) poor balance would lead to big mixture variations between cylinders.

JC

Edited by JohnC

Hi John

I take your point re. recent service but the car was running fine on return from service and the garage is some distance aways so a bit ackward to get to (I usually have the car trailered down to them).

Your suggestion re. accellorator (related to a point made eariler in this thread) is interesting, and l will have think about this.

Thanks

Best Wishes

Ernest

• 2 months later...

Just a note to follow-up with the conclusion of my 'lumpy running'.

It was two injectors not working as they should.

Sanspeed of Bexleyheath sorted the problem (replacing all six injectors) car now runs as it should!

I would recommend Sandspeed - they were originally recommended to me by a Kent club member and I have used them

in that past to sort tuning problems with the 6, and a 4A and a Cooper S.

Ernest