TR6 Overdrive production

I can't help with detailed numbers but Bill Piggott's excellent book 'Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6' states that for TR6s, overdrive was optional on all cars until December 1973, when it became standard on PI cars. Overdrive remained optional on carburettor cars. There's also the type of overdrive to consider, A-type until late 1972, J-type thereafter.

Nigel

Good exercise for someone with time on their hands, there are only 91850 records to go through at the BMIHT, any volunteers out there? 

From our records of some 25500 different TR6 gathered up over the years from members and other sources we have 49% of the PI cars ( CP and CR) recorded with overdrive, 22% of the CC series recorded with overdrive and 20% of the CF series recorded with overdrive.

Derek 

Thank you Derek! I'll decline, but it would be interesting to know how many of the CP took up this option?

Furthermore, how many TR6 were CP and how many CR?

I'll treat you to something at Malvern assuming it's still on?

Regards

Bill 

Bill, just for you and also a slight revision to the % above as I forgot that most of the 1972 CC series had commission numbers ending with U or UO. Revised % with overdrive in our records are CC series 15%, CF series 18%, CP series 38% and CR series 68%

regards

Derek 

My CP51049 was originally non od and now has a J type. It was fitted before 1990.

CC series 15%, CF series 18%, CP series 38% and CR series 68%

CP51049 was originally non od and now has a J type

Thank you Derek. in the 38% you quote, is this from an O on the commission plate or would your figure include those like John's that have been retrospectively fitted?

That's now two coffees or ice creams for you if cousin Alan doesn't "liberate" one before I deliver yours!

Regards

Bill 

With pleasure Derek! Thank you. Bill 

On 6/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, saffrontr said:

Bill, just for you and also a slight revision to the % above as I forgot that most of the 1972 CC series had commission numbers ending with U or UO. Revised % with overdrive in our records are CC series 15%, CF series 18%, CP series 38% and CR series 68%

regards

Derek 

Hi Derek!

Do your figures only cover OEM fitment ? As ORS do a large trade in O/D conversions for example and it is easy to stamp the 'O' on the commission plate?

Bruce.

it is easy to stamp the 'O' on the commission plate

But not so easy on a Heritage Trace!

Regards

Bill 

• 1 month later...

A query on badges relating to this Overdrive question...

With a 1969 TR6 PI version (original UK car) and reference the badges on the rear tailgate should the badge below the TRIUMPH cloisonne one read "Overdrive" or "Injection"?

Mark

6 minutes ago, mrehke said:

A query on badges relating to this Overdrive question...

With a 1969 TR6 PI version (original UK car) and reference the badges on the rear tailgate should the badge below the TRIUMPH cloisonne one read "Overdrive" or "Injection"?

Mark

IIRC Overdrive badge if fitted with overdrive, Injection if not fitted with overdrive.

Stuart.

Rapid answer Stuart - confirmed what Mr Bates of TR GB advised me!

Off at a tangent - would the TR6 decals on the hind quarters of both wings just been Black for yellow and white painted cars, and White for all other colour variants?

It was red for white cars, black for yellow cars and white for the rest generally though people have mixed over the years.

Stuart.

Thanks again Stuart - I have just purchased (yet to collect) a 1969 TR6 PI CP car...although it is a "matching numbers" car it has been painted in French Blue, which as you will know was not a 1969 TR6 colour...it is currently without the boot badges and rear wing decals...

42 minutes ago, mrehke said:

Thanks again Stuart - I have just purchased (yet to collect) a 1969 TR6 PI CP car...although it is a "matching numbers" car it has been painted in French Blue, which as you will know was not a 1969 TR6 colour...it is currently without the boot badges and rear wing decals...

When you take delivery of the car. Look inside the lift up air vent and shine a torch in there to see if there is a colour difference as many resprayed cars are still the original colour in there? Somebody my have ordered French Blue as a special order?

N.B. I do not have a lot of faith in the accuracy of Heritage Certs! As my car is a one owner car ordered by me on BL's friend's and family Scheme and there is a lot of wrong info and missing info?

Bruce.

Interesting, Bruce.  I am not that far away from the Triumph Archive, so will try and get over there to look at the original build records.  According to the Heritage Certificate that was commissioned by a previous owner of the car it was originally painted in New White.  From my brief research French Blue was not a Triumph colour used on a TR6 until 1973 - luckily I love the colour, and the cost of repainting it back to the original paint code will outweigh the uplift in value, I have been advised.  So I am going to enjoy driving the car as she is - not concours and with the incorrect plumage!

8 hours ago, stuart said:

IIRC Overdrive badge if fitted with overdrive, Injection if not fitted with overdrive.

Stuart.

Interesting, I thought and have observed that UK cars always have the injection badge and American cars have the overdrive badge (if one was fitted). 

Then again I know the first year production was unique with the many differences it has over the subsequent years.

Gareth

6 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Interesting, I thought and have observed that UK cars always have the injection badge and American cars have the overdrive badge (if one was fitted). 

Then again I know the first year production was unique with the many differences it has over the subsequent years.

Gareth

Aligns with my understanding.

My car had OD from new, whilst a lot can happen during the 50 intervening years it wears an Injection badge but not an overdrive one. I'm sure I read somewhere that they had one, or another, but never both.

6 minutes ago, Macleesh said:

...I'm sure I read somewhere that they had one, or another, but never both.

Never both for sure, the US cars that didn't have overdrive, just had the Triumph badge.

Gareth

3 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Gareth

And no cars intended for the US market would have had the injection badge.

The road test car PDU 515G certainly sported an overdrive badge but as for the rest of the 1969 PI TR6 it does seem very hit and miss, overdrive wasn't fitted to many of the 69 TR6PI's so maybe it was thought that it should be highlighted when it was fitted? The parts book is ambiguous and notes that the overdrive badge was only required when overdrive was fitted but it also states that the injection badge was for petrol injection cars only. If I was a betting man and had a 1969 PI then I would fit an injection badge whether overdrive was fitted or not.   

Derek

PDU 515G rev.jpg

Edited by saffrontr