Wobbly Wheels

Whilst out driving the car I was flagged down by a driver following me to tell me one of my wheels was wobbling. Have investigated today and wheel in question has a runout at the rim of approximately 4mm. Swapping it to another side and the runout moved with it so it looks like the wheel is bent. Checked the others and two run true and another has about 2.5mm variation. It's worth pointing out that none of this was detectible whist driving. 

Couple of questions:-

Anybody know what is acceptable runout at the rim?

Where is the best place to get replacement (s)?

Thanks

Sean

12 minutes ago, Macleesh said:

Whilst out driving the car I was flagged down by a driver following me to tell me one of my wheels was wobbling. Have investigated today and wheel in question has a runout at the rim of approximately 4mm. Swapping it to another side and the runout moved with it so it looks like the wheel is bent. Checked the others and two run true and another has about 2.5mm variation. It's worth pointing out that none of this was detectible whist driving. 

Couple of questions:-

Anybody know what is acceptable runout at the rim?

Where is the best place to get replacement (s)?

Thanks

Sean

As I have buckled a few alloy wheels and then had them straitened out. I would go to an alloy wheel refurbisher and ask him if he can re-true the wheels for you, as they have a special m/c to do this to alloy wheels/ Could save you quite a bit of money?

Bruce.

There are no new replacement steel wheels Sean - and no guarantee that anything used you find will be any straighter.  I have heard it said that unfortunately the alloy wheel-straightening people won't do steels either. 

3 minutes ago, RobH said:

Ah  - that's new isn't it?    Pity they're too wide for the earlier cars though.

In what way are they too wide?

I know of half a dozen sidescreen cars fitted with 5.5” wide TR 6 steel rims, mine included.  The issue is the hub cap attachment.

On modern wind up window TRs you can easily fit the wider rim without bodywork issues.  

Certainly if you need to fit the spare on a sidescreen car the wider rim will not go in the spare wheel hole, so must placed behind the seats.

Peter W

6 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Certainly if you need to fit the spare on a sidescreen car the wider rim will not go in the spare wheel hole, so must placed behind the seats.

exactly

23 minutes ago, RobH said:

Ah  - that's new isn't it?    Pity they're too wide for the earlier cars though.

Hi Rob,

these wheels have been produced (at great effort) for the TR6 and will easily fit the TR4-6

Attempts have been made to re-make slimmer wheels for the earlier cars but there have been major issues.  Not sure what the latest is at the mo'.

Roger

I measured the run out on all of my original wheels.  Four of them were right around 0.030", and one was almost four times that.  No real proof, but I surmised that the 0.030 was about what you'd see on new factory wheels.

Ed

10 hours ago, ed_h said:

I measured the run out on all of my original wheels.  Four of them were right around 0.030", and one was almost four times that.  No real proof, but I surmised that the 0.030 was about what you'd see on new factory wheels.

Ed

Thanks Ed

I make 0.030" to be 0.75mm so yours was somewhere in between my two. Did you retain it or replace?

Sean

9 hours ago, Macleesh said:

Thanks Ed

I make 0.030" to be 0.75mm so yours was somewhere in between my two. Did you retain it or replace?

Sean

I'm using the four that were around 0.030.  The one that was a bit over 0.100 is my spare.

Ed

I don't have a spare so will retain the better one for that purpose.

SC Parts are the cheapest, suspect they are all made by the same source. Interestingly Moss state that theirs look different from original wheels but helpfully do not go into specifics.

Will order a pair from SC Parts.

Related question, were trim rings standard? My car has them but they trash the paint on the rims, I'm wondering if this is the time to stop fitting them.

Thanks

Sean

42 minutes ago, paul bond said:

Sean.

Back to your initial post.

How close was the driver behind, that he could see a 4mm runout of your wheel rim ????

Paul B

Hi Paul

I must confess I'm not sure I could have spotted it!

It was in a line of slow moving traffic so he was only half a car length or so behind.

Sean

While wandering the Internet, as one does in a pandemic, I stumbled across the workshop manual for the Triumph Dolomite.  On page 74-2, Triumph gives “wheel tolerances on a wheel truly mounted and revolving about its axis”.  Admittedly, the numbers are for 13” (not 15”) steel and alloy wheels.  It will be left for others to interpolate.  For steel wheels, Triumph specified:

Lift: The difference between the high and low points measured on either rim ledge should not exceed 0.045 in (1.143 mm).

Wobble: The lateral variation measured on the vertical inside face of a flange should not exceed 0.045 in (1.143 mm).

For alloy wheels the comparable tolerance was 0.020 in (0.51 mm), presumably because machining is more accurate than roll forming.

Geoff

I had a scan of the Brown Bible but couldn't spot equivalent data, didn't think to look in my Dolomite version (I also have a Dolomite!) But on that basis my bad wheel is definitely out of tolerance and the other one is probably if not out then on the extreme of what's acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

The new wheels

On 6/14/2021 at 12:29 PM, Macleesh said:

"Interestingly Moss state that theirs look different from original wheels but helpfully do not go into specifics"

The new wheels have a have a recessed band for use with tubeless tires slightly altering the way they look. Think it would be hidden by the wheel trim.

45 minutes ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

How many folks really 'use' their cars and get punctures these days ?

Depends how lucky you are and where 'white van man' has distributed screws on the road.   I've had two punctures in the TR and one in my daily driver over the past 5 years. 

Unless the Weller wheels have changed in appearance recently they are visually identical to the original Dunlop steel wheels the only minor difference being that Weller have put a slight chamfer on the ventilation holes compared with no chamfer on the Dunlops. My Wellers are all the 5.5" version as per originals. Images show Weller on the top and Dunlop on the bottom.

Derek  

Weller steel wheel.JPG

wheels 4.jpg

Edited by saffrontr
position of images