Correct 123 ignition programing for TR4A engine

Hi All, 

I have  decided to switch to a 123 ignition on my TR. The system allows the preselection of 16  ignition characteristics. - see picture.  I am just not sure which one would be applicable to a TR4A engine. 

Any experience or recommedation ?

Input welcome

Regards

Oliver

123 - Kopie.png

Hi Oliver,

I am using a 123 Tune+  attached are screenshots of both my MAP (vacuum) and Centrifugal advance curves - this may help you choose your preset curve.

Probably plenty of feedback on this subject which could be different to mine, but this seems to work nicely on my engine. When I set up the 123 initially I was a degree or so more retarded one day it may be treated to a rolling road session but that day hasn’t arrived yet :) 

Mine is running 87mm liners, TRGB yellow camshaft and 1 3/4” SU’s - so nothing particularly radical.

....... Andy 

F00A455A-FBB3-4B3C-B2D9-877900219908.jpeg

ED3891BA-D94C-46C2-A1ED-0D20EA7CA14E.jpeg

Hi Andy, 

Thanks for teh feedback, but which of the 16 progams is it ?

Based on further evaluation, I have decided to start with `7' ...

Cheers

Oliver

23 minutes ago, Moliver said:

Thanks for teh feedback, but which of the 16 progams is it ?

Hi Oliver, 

the 123Tune+ which I installed on my TR4 does not have preset curves - it is completely programmable....... so I can’t confirm a curve  number in afraid.

If ‘7’ is anywhere close to the one I showed then it should be a reasonable start-point.

Bob (Lebro) included a nice chart of comparison curves on this thread - 7 is one of them:

There are are some threads where people mention other curves - although you need to be careful that the engine spec is close to yours, no point in comparing a std. 86mm liner engine with an 89mm wild cam’d weber carburated beast as they’ll need a very different curve.

hope this helps..... Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks, this makes sense. I read that your max advancing is 30 deg. The max provided by my device will be 26 degree.

Stupid question: do I have to add the vacuum advancing to the number ?

Cheers

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

my max advance is 29 degrees.

in my case the MAP advance image above is the vacuum advance - my understanding is that this is in addition to the centrifugal advance (but only applied during the explicit pressure conditions). My MAP (vacuum) advance uses values straight out of the workshop manual.

i am not sure how your version of the 123 handles vac advance - I’d guess that each curve will have an applicable additional vacuum advance applied. If in doubt try a quick email to the guys at Albertronic, they replied to me very quickly (sales@albertronic.com) when I needed a clarification.

...... Andy 

Oliver, I fitted a 123 to  my 4A fourteen years ago and have had not a moment's trouble with it since, although as belt and braces I always carry the original Lucas distributor assembly on board just in case, it would take only a few minutes to swap. I chose Curve 7 to try first as recommended for an engine in pretty standard tune as mine is. It proved so good I stuck with it. Pick up is excellent throughout the rev range and the idle is smooth. The car will run happily on the level at 32kph in top gear and if the throtte is floored it will pick up without hesitation or any pinking. Advance is 10 degs at idle, 22degs at 2,000rpm and 30 degs maximum at 3,500rpm.

It would be best to have your car set up on a rolling road if available.

Tim

Hi All, 

Just for future reference and feedback: I have set the curve to "7" and cannot report any negative observation or room for improvement.  I have had a Powerspark Kit installed before converting to the 123. Although there is nothing wrong with such kit in general (I have a Powerspark on my Series Landrover for more tan 10k km now) , I must say, that the TR runs much smoother with the 123 stalled. So far it was worth the money. 

Thanks for everyones input.

Cheers

Oliver

14 hours ago, Moliver said:

I must say, that the TR runs much smoother with the 123 stalled.

Spark Balancing.....it really works.... its something our accu-, power-, lumi- spark adaptions cannot do

I have a 123 in a race TR4 and use No 3 which has a max advance of 27, - it runs to 7K.

according to the paperwork the curve runs:500-1000 10' advance 2000 -21' and 2400 -> 27' degrees advance

I would take advice from people who regularly rolling road tune TRs - such a Pete Burgess to find out what max advance is the best for your engine

MichaelH

Edited by MichaelH