Just curious,

how does one dismantle the planetary gears in an overdrive.

Looking it seems they are held with roll pins, with only one end is visible, the pin sits in a blind hole?

John.

Usually the roll pin is just a short one, and when knocked into the pin the roll pin will stay in there and the shaft removed from the carrier, don't forget to time up the 3 gears on reassembly, have a look in the manual.

John

John

i never went that deep into my gear box. 
but I found Elin Yakiv Rusty Beauties videos very useful

he did a series of I think 8 videos of servicing the overdrive on a box and starting with this one. 

Perhaps they may help ?

H

Hamish, John, thanks for the replies.

at 19.39 in the video, is  a great veiw of the planetary gears,

problem we have is the brass bush in the centre is cracked, and

we need the gears out , at least one maybe two, to change it.

I can't find anything, anywhere that goes this far, and shows how to remove the roll pins that hold the gear.

John.

4 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Hamish, John, thanks for the replies.

at 19.39 in the video, is  a great veiw of the planetary gears,

problem we have is the brass bush in the centre is cracked, and

we need the gears out , at least one maybe two, to change it.

I can't find anything, anywhere that goes this far, and shows how to remove the roll pins that hold the gear.

John.

Ring ORS on Monday John https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/

Stuart.

Hi John,

I am in the same situation as extreme heat and wear has destroyed the needle roller bearings in the gears as well as the bronze bush you mention - there is 3mm radial movement now.  

The one solution I have found (cant recall where off hand is to drill the pins out with a 3/32" drill in a bench drill.  I have not yet ried this but plan to have a go in a week or two when I have enough courage.  Per Stuarts post, ORS can supply a complete with bearings, pins and washers.

Cheers,

Alf 

IMG_6510.JPG.4010ba4748f5894afe02cf719bbf7fe8.JPGIMG_6511.JPG.e52109d540e12b573042ca0d73f12f97.JPG

IMG_6514.JPG

Looked at both of the baove mentioned sites,

as far as I can see, they niether go as far as pulling the planet gears,

just saying they were fine.

I'll ring teh overdrive folk tomorrow, and ask.

Thanks, John.

Stellite Drill ? The description underneath explains basically how it works, although for non critical diameters you may get away with locally heating the material to be drilled to red heat and then attacking with a good quality drill. RogerH will have an angle on this.

DSTEL - Stellite Drill

Often used for drilling hard materials over 51C Rockwell. These drills need to heat the component to penetrate and cause metallurgical changes in the material drilled. Rigid set up with suitable speed essential. Size range available from 1/8" to 1/2".

Mick Richards

Hi John, I did it several times using an ordinary 2 mm steel drill. Only have a picture after puting the new washer in an the new pin waiting                                                              to be punched in. Dieter

IMG_20210618_165743.jpg

Well I don't know what you drilled out but that looks like a solid machine steel pin you are putting in, and it looks softish.

Mick Richards

11 hours ago, SeidelVC69 said:

I bought these pins for this purpose from ORS. Dieter

If ORS sell them for that you can consider that correct.

Mick Richards

Thanks for sharing, if its a soft pin then the instruction in the Buckeye write up is correct, use a press to push the pin thru.  It looks from the original picture that it was a roll pin, but perhaps they are actually a grooved soft pin.

I wonder why the big pin is machined out where the little pin goes thru, does it have an oilway for the bearing perhaps, any other pictures would be helpful if you still have it in bits please.

John