Have you got yourself a new car? Do yourself a favour!

Well I've had my car for around 15 months and have been meaning to get around to going round the 20 wheel bolts and taking them out and adding some copper slip as I had an absolute mare with getting a wheel off my previous BMW which needed a lump hammer and bolt extractor to shock it free and destroyed it in the process. I didn't fancy fighting to change a wheel at the side of the road with Micky Mouse kit in the boot.

Well you guessed it the fronts baked with heat put up a real fight even with a 24" 1/2 inch breaker bar and impact socket. I was lucky to get the security bolts out they were near stripping out. Once out copper slip and tightened to something more reasonable.

Why manufactures don't do the same is beyond me. The AA/RAC must spend a lot of time dealing with these issues which shouldn't be an issue no disrespect but a lady would have had no chance at all.

So if you are the proud owner of a new motor do yourself a favour and attend to them now rather than on a dark, wet winters day!

Best of luck

Andy

Good advice Andy. Not just new cars, anything that has been near a main stealer.

Just yesterday had an 80 year old gentleman stop outside my house with a flat tyre having hit a pot hole. I got him to drive in and I put on his spare. However there was no way the bolts would shift. Luckily, two days before I invested in a monster cordless impact wrench to undo the crankshaft nut of my son's MX5 which I had been unable to shift with my air impact wrench. Think it will prove a worthwhile investment.

He turned up today with some beers.
Jerry

20 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

Good advice Andy. Not just new cars, anything that has been near a main stealer.

Just yesterday had an 80 year old gentleman stop outside my house with a flat tyre having hit a pot hole. I got him to drive in and I put on his spare. However there was no way the bolts would shift. Luckily, two days before I invested in a monster cordless impact wrench to undo the crankshaft nut of my son's MX5 which I had been unable to shift with my air impact wrench. Think it will prove a worthwhile investment.

He turned up today with some beers.
Jerry

Good for you Jerry nice to hear human kindness is alive and well.

I had the stuck wheel problem with the wife's Jazz the first time I had to remove one. I simply replaced all the nuts, left them just hand tight then allowed the car to run back down our drive before stamping on the brake, the wheel shocked free easily. Have used Copaslip ever since of course.

Tim

6 hours ago, tim hunt said:

I had the stuck wheel problem with the wife's Jazz the first time I had to remove one. I simply replaced all the nuts, left them just hand tight then allowed the car to run back down our drive before stamping on the brake, the wheel shocked free easily. Have used Copaslip ever since of course.

Tim

Neat trick Tim.

I'll have to remember that one as alloys especially seem to like to stick to the hubs. Like you say copper slip on the hub face saves further problems.

Andy

I have a VW Transporter-type van with alloys and they are notorious for the wheels sticking on. Without copper grease on the mating surfaces all the usual tricks (brake hard, rock van with loose wheel nuts etc etc) tend to fail and considerable effort then needed with a sledge hammer and block of wood becomes necessary which is quite scary with the vehicle up on a jack at side of the road. I've heard the same is true with a lot of cars now. Bonkers.

Nigel