Trickle Charger

Hi Guys

Does anyone use a trickle charger on their car. I know on most cars, well on mine anyway there is nothing running after ignition is off. But I was watching a program which highlighted how batteries lose amps while standing for long periods, so I dug out my trickle charger that I used with my Z4 and hooked it up.

Many of us have the modern 'battery conditioners' rather than old-fashioned trickle chargers Paul.  Always a good idea as lead -acid batteries do self-discharge with time (some weeks or months) which can lead to sulphation and loss of battery capacity.   I have two of the Lidl's specials which seem to work well.  If you are using your car weekly-ish for runs long enough to top up the battery it probably isn't necessary though. 

I’m the same as Rob with a conditioner 

mines Aldi

I've used several trickle chargers for years on the TR, other vehicles , boat etc to keep their batteries topped up during storage. I connect them via a power timer to switch on about 20-30 minutes/day. This makes up for daily electrical system  losses and prevents the batteries being overcharged.

If I didn't have a shed full of trickle chargers and needed to buy something new I'd look at smart chargers- I did have a timer stick once in the on position about 5 years ago.

I have a CTEK (other brands are available) bought at the Classic Car show some years ago. Plug and forget as it cycles the battery to avoid over charging and keeps your TR battery in peak condition. Good to know that during the winter months when you have little use of the car and, due to the cold, it will be harder to start, that at least your battery is at 100%

Wouldn't be without it now

Hi Paul I also have a CTEK Multi XS 3600 battery conditioner, it is now a little old but it has been on a car for at least 10 years and the car starts with the first turn of the key.

I think a London group member mentioned a Lidl's special deal battery charger/conditioner, it was an excellent deal, although I have not had a need for it yet, it looks a good bit of kit, I bought it to replace a battery charger that although still working is at least 50 years old.

Mick.  

As always Lidl and Aldi compete across various items and the battery conditioner and chargers always coming up competitively.

The makers vary but amongst them models that are Medion make a decent German company and whatever model from either firm the cost doesn't move much from the £13 area. I've never had to claim on their 3 year warranty from either company. The cost is so little I have 3 of them to spread around the garden and garage although like others I have a C Tek MXS 5.0 for if a battery needs a little more sophistication in it's conditioning and recharging.

Mick Richards