Open questions ignition distributor: 22D6 (41219 F) TR5/TR6 PI

Open questions ignition distributor: 22D6

Hello TR friends,

I drive a TR6, 1972 US model

Engine: Limousine 2500, engine number MM21975 HEA

Installed ignition distributor: 22D6 (41158 A) tachometer drive, vacuum unit, late

This distributor can no longer be used. I could get an alternative, a good 22D6 (41219) TR5-TR6PI with tachometer drive, early vacuum.

Since I am not an expert (retired first hobby project) and have to find my way around things, some things are still unclear. Can I use this 22D6 (41219) TR5 / TR6PI distributor without any technical problems? What do I have to consider?

All technical data again

TR6, 1972 US model

Engine: Limousine 2500, engine number MM21975 HEA

Ignition distributor installed so far: 22D6 (41158 A) tachometer drive, vacuum unit, late

Weight 16 °

Ignition 10 degrees BTDC

2x Stromberg carburetor 175 CD-2 (hose from vacuum unit to carburetor)

New distributor:

Ignition distributor: 22D6 (41219) TR5-TR6PI, tachometer drive, vacuum unit, early

2x Stromberg carburetor 175 CD-2 (hose from vacuum unit to carburetor ????)

Weight 13 °

Ignition 8 - 10 degrees BTDC ???

Thank you for being great members of the TR family

Greeting

Carlos

IMG_4714.JPG

What is the reason you are changing distributor?  Is it because there is no provision to drive the tachometer?

Is your engine a complete unit with SU carbs from the saloon car?

Is the photo your existing distributor?

Yes 41219 will give you the tachometer drive but the advance curve and vacuum advance will not be matched to the late 2500 carb saloon car engine.  It will work of course.

You would be able to swap the distributor weights, springs and advance curve limiter from your existing distributor into the TR6 distributor.  This is because both are 22D types.

Alternative would be to get your dash board mounted tachometer converted to electrical operation.   That might be cheaper than a fully overhauled 41219 distributor.

Peter W

Welcome to the forum Carlos.

To repeat some of what Peter has said, your question isn't easy to answer as the engine number you quote is for a late 2500TC saloon which probably should have a 45D6 distributor and SU H6 carbs.  

The car will run with the 41219 distributor though it may not be properly matched to the engine as it is for a PI car, but then perhaps neither is the one you are replacing. 

The list below suggests it should really be a 45D6 41624 for a later 2500TC engine, but that won't have  the TR tacho drive which might explain why yours has a 22D6.  (incidentally 41158 is a 25D4 dizzy - I think you mean 41558?)

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/pdf/lucas_distributor_specs.pdf

Perhaps your best bet would be to contact the Distributor Doctor to discuss having your present 22D6 rebuilt with the correct advance curve for the engine. 

Hello Tr friends

Why are you changing distributors? Is it because the tachometer cannot be activated?

- No, the distributor is deflected axially and radially -

Is your engine a complete unit with SU carburettors from the sedan?

- No, I just think the engine block. When buying the TR6, currently had 2 Stromberg carburetors 175 CD-2 -

Is the photo your existing distributor?

--  Yes. 22D6 (41219F) TR57TR6 according to seller, with tachometer drive -

Yes, 41219 gives you the tachometer drive, but the advance curve and vacuum advance don't match the late 2500 sedan engine. It will of course work.

You could swap the distributor weights, springs and the flow limiter from your existing distributor to the TR6 distributor. This is because they are both 22D types.

- The old distributor 22D6 (41358A) Weights 16 ° -

.. The new now installed ignition distributor 22D6 (41219) has     Weights 13 ° -

Alternatively, you can convert your dashboard-mounted tachometer to electrical operation. This is perhaps cheaper than a completely refurbished 41219 distributor.

--- where can I get an electric tachometer for  the TR6 -

Another question: Are there also electric speedometers for the TR6? Mine spins, jerks and is 10-20 km inaccurate.

greeting

Carlos

16° and 13° are not the weight Carlos - that is the maximum advance attainable in crankshaft degrees by movement of the weights. 

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to bring this back up, I have a CP TR6, and I was chasing an intermittent misfire, which occasionally only occurs on flooring the throttle when driving. So I got to checking the weight's are able to move freely etc. I notice I have a 16 degree advance fitted. Does anyone know what is the correct advance amount for a CP engine, as this thread indicates it might be 13 instead of 16?

Gareth