Best way to remove overspray

So..... Back in October last year in the process of transporting the block from my TR3a out of the garage and into the back of my estate car, prior to taking it (the block) to the engineering shop to be worked on, I managed to scrape the rear wing of my TR3a. 

No problem I thought, I can polish that out. 

Wrong!  By the time I had polished it out there was a pale patch in the BRG paintwork.

Not a problem, I thought, when the weather warms up I will blow it over with a touch up can of a suitable colour paint.

So I did that last Friday but like an idiot, I only masked the immediate surrounding area with a result that I have a fine layer of dust from the 2K aerosol I was using all over the car.  I have tried polishing it out with polishing compound and it is a very long process.  Before I buy some 2500 grit paper and use that to flat the paintwork followed by polishing compound, does anyone know a better method.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

This is a good post (for me) I’m just doing something very similar on my old Jag but using 3000grit with plenty of water………

Not wanting in any way to high jack but also interested to hear any alternative better solutions 

I’m with Sean on this and if you are worried have a thinners cloth going and a wet (water) cloth straight after. 
but a reasonable T cut type paste should do it especially if the car has had any sort of wax polish on it before the overspray.

H Guys, what defines 'ordinary thinners'.  2K thinners, cellulose thinners or white spirit? The wrong choice could be disastrous :wacko:.

Rich

It was a 2k aerosol (the kind where you press a button in the base to release the hardener) so the overspray is very hard and polishing compound removes it but only very slowly. I’ll try thinners on an inconspicuous patch and see how I get on. 

Thks all. 

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

It was a 2k aerosol (the kind where you press a button in the base to release the hardener) so the overspray is very hard and polishing compound removes it but only very slowly. I’ll try thinners on an inconspicuous patch and see how I get on. 

Thks all. 

Rgds Ian

If its 2K overspray then thinners wont do it, your going to have to flat and polish Im afraid, 1500 and soapy water then G3 Farecla then finish with T-cut.

Stuart.

7 hours ago, stuart said:

If its 2K overspray then thinners wont do it, your going to have to flat and polish Im afraid, 1500 and soapy water then G3 Farecla then finish with T-cut.

Stuart.

I think the thinners may have helped if I had been a bit quicker off the mark, because it worked on the boot area but the front had got hot and any residual solvent had gone by the time I got around to it.

And a clay bar didn't seem to do much so as you say Stuart, It will be flat and polish .

Rgds Ian

15 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

I think the thinners may have helped if I had been a bit quicker off the mark, because it worked on the boot area but the front had got hot and any residual solvent had gone by the time I got around to it.

And a clay bar didn't seem to do much so as you say Stuart, It will be flat and polish .

Rgds Ian

Just keep off the edges and dont go in circles, use a rubber block across larger flatter areas.

Stuart.

Stuart spot on, my mentor with this sort of thing.

Clay bar won't touch it

What ever you do don't put the paper on your finger and try and rub it out, (its very tempting)

Got to go on a small block you can get 1500  2000 2500 and 3000  grit

When you get the hang of it it not a problem 

Pink x