4 hours ago, Teher said:

It gives off enough heat for the interior to be a cozy cocoon only disturbed by an ugly draft from the junction of the side-screen with the windshield ...:)

last week… 

Correctly fitted the sidescreen front waste edge lip should slot into the channel in the rear of the stanchion thus preventing it from ballooning out at speed , at the front lower edge where it meets the scuttle I fit a strip of expanding foam that fills the space nicely, with all this done its quite cosy in there and there are a lot less draughts.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Agree, my main draught is from the rear lower part of the sidescreen, I usually just stuff a towel or similar down there !

Bob

Think yourself lucky Bob, I am too fat to drive my car with sidescreens, I just dont fit :( I have to drive with my arm and elbow close to being outside the car. But at least I can take left hand corners a bit faster

Edited by Kiwifrog
humor
3 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Just bought this on. Black Friday discount for £120 delivered.  Certainly blows more than my original Smiths unit.  

8D684AC2-A012-4DC9-94C9-2E381FC240EC.jpeg

Slightly different to the ones I normally buy but should still fit, good price as theyre this now https://www.t7design.co.uk/3-5kw-lightweight-heater-with-side-vents-12v-187-d1e-05a.html

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Slightly different to the ones I normally buy but should still fit, good price as theyre this now https://www.t7design.co.uk/3-5kw-lightweight-heater-with-side-vents-12v-187-d1e-05a.html

Stuart.

Would you consider it to be warmer/more effective than the standard Smiths unit Stuart?  

I expect to sit the thing on two cross bars placed on the dash support rails.   Sat on the flat plate.   Being certain the water connect tubes are uppermost to prevent air locks.

The standard rheostat switch seems to work as a switch but does not really slow the fan speed.  I would need guidance on that.    I had wondered about this PWN Unit.        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224723660731?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D235872%26meid%3D9ff5de94ab66423eae5cb04dc80471ee%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D393385175137%26itm%3D224723660731%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv9PairwiseWebMskuAspectsV202110NoVariantSeedWithPLXV2Ranker%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A2247236607319ff5de94ab66423eae5cb04dc80471ee|enc%3AAQAGAAACIBCyHc0SSi7uHsubVzaE22UaVpY2q0%2BCM9t3AI5lqyGWyZUyIg%2Blmp%2FIIem0AKpiWVsMrY5o2Dpu7DY7Eptk4Tww61k0oLjduTBM5f1%2B7gbaxbwJIV9g90Uqw49AckKks66Y5SNgwXv9J5kFPyJ5LGiTsDt2KIlOOYSIxMoTxx5gycyzKL%2BHzlCT5KnBjDHOVzNH%2BOzDYR5JPXPhIQnbjAD855Jz9wn36y91lcMdo9ptTEhiuuR%2B32U2clVbfgTtUU5e7nbSZwm%2FUC5OSMIZDXHUkpDDJovWBCwWvXoLtIlIsXD21b5FlwMTrNKrOOCxNzty3NLU%2BoREzL%2F5LlkZ3%2BDlgUSIJM72yxmNwEcWrr3HM0QDEVTxJmiXO9%2Bcucb8SdUdXPzoWUpsKn32qDETEbAn%2BFFhgrcOqOOc9glktjSQwKDYizqtHidG%2FHh%2F%2FbvrVtjpM0Q2QBdaMIDCm6cePQQYs7Z7%2BOPjniEBV1npXFxIbCDV5MPYEsvbIxAYOO3u9svvwmANWEM3dJsn3DAZk5qxWNgvaBdio%2FeNG0m1VAPv7I41fWW%2Bj0wXwTxKOtr7uSfiCSsqSMA4r4CS9PXweUyk0XkclG9dFoax9zVMpgRGVq3qKN7o5Tz3tbhkbYTgAede7FJOEfWBr4mI13yeuwAJspx%2BbF4EZ51bDzyda52jhu00aEi5AEzlzlAduGwgh%2FgAHbS0HKKCYDlRqOTd7qY%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2047675
Or this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393385175137

My unit arrived from T7 looking like the one on the picture on T7 link you supplied. I have moved the fan unit to outside the plenum to allow the directional closing vents to swivel fully.   Height wise it is still shorter than a Smiths round thing.   I can always reassemble with the fan unit inside the plenum box and suffer reduced directional airflow into the footwells.

image of my spare heater against the T7

8B9F8B7F-42C3-459C-A932-CC8B55D04DE0.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I mounted mine vertically with the inlet/rad facing the bulkhead and scuttle vent and the water connections uppermost. That leaves the demist connectors uppermost and the louvred vents hanging between the dash supports where they can be easily reached from the drivers and passenger seats. 
A length of angle iron bolted between the stays and onto the flat plate on the heater makes a solid mounting bracket.

There’s a pic and a write up here:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/devon/social-report/2020/04/1694/In-the-Garage-April-20

Edited by Drewmotty
On 12/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, Drewmotty said:

I mounted mine vertically with the inlet/rad facing the bulkhead and scuttle vent and the water connections uppermost. That leaves the demist connectors uppermost and the louvred vents hanging between the dash supports where they can be easily reached from the drivers and passenger seats. 
A length of angle iron bolted between the stays and onto the flat plate on the heater makes a solid mounting bracket.

There’s a pic and a write up here:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/devon/social-report/2020/04/1694/In-the-Garage-April-20

Thank you for that link.

Peter  W

On 12/27/2021 at 10:50 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thank you for that link.

Peter  W

Personally I prefer the way we fit them which is like this so the rad being uppermost means air from the vent flap can be drawn through it.

Stuart.

011 (2).JPG

Wiring of rear light done! ;)

Obviously with Jean-Louis at the maneuver and me as a zealous assistant ...

He also took the opportunity to review the fixation of 123, which my now ex-mechanic had not seen fit to ensure correct fixation… :o

I entered through a fog as dense as an Xmas pudding and when I got there, the reversing into the passage to the garage was done by the comforting glow of a long range spotlight! :ph34r:

8C64C02D-7134-4E97-9F8B-99980A53C4C4.jpeg

29 minutes ago, PGB BME said:

Was the rear spotlight an original feature of Tr2/3’s and are they legal for mot?

Phil

No and yes.

Stuart.

Extract from the Vehicle lighting regulations 1986 (current)

8.  Wattage–

(a) A reversing lamp bearing an approval mark:

No requirement

(b) A reversing lamp not bearing an approval mark:

The total wattage of any one reversing lamp shall not exceed 24 watts

Bob.

24 minutes ago, Lebro said:

No problem, because it will draw a fair bit less than 24W.

Exactly my point Bob. The regulations need to be updated to include a limit on lumens or whatever it is to measure light output. 

Rgds Ian

How does the French Government prevent unroadworthy vehicles being driven around the country ?

Is this one of the reasons that the accident rate in France is higher than that of the UK ?

Ian Cornish

3 hours ago, Teher said:

No MOT here, in France… ;)

And as a pre-1960 vehicle, my venerable automobile is exempt from any checks ! :ph34r:

Same as here now. Except the exemption from testing is a rolling year so even 1970/80’s rot boxes are exempt

16 minutes ago, ianc said:

How does the French Government prevent unroadworthy vehicles being driven around the country ?

The real answer is that it doesn’t and even encourages it! But nothing stops the owner asking for a test.

We have had here for many years two different Log Books ( Carte Grise) for cars over a certain age - 25 years I think. The Carte Grise de Collection authorises the avoidance of the ‘Contrôle Technique’ and imposes one or two restrictions on usage. Originally the vehicule could only be driven in the local Département and its neighbouring ones.

The official Log Book is as for every car. My 3A has its original CG and I will have nothing to do with the absurdity of the CG de collection. There is some doubt here locally whether a car with the original carte grise can avoid the MOT/Contrôle Technique.

At any rate, it is beyond my understanding how anybody should want to avoid a trained techician having a good look every two years for all of 75€. Incidentally the MOT centres are totally independent franchises and have nothing to do with garages and repairs.

As to Ian’s observation of the accident rate, I would look elsewhere for the reasons. It is rarely the car’s fault…….

Happy New Year to all

james

There is a complete technical control in France for all cars, to be done every two years.;)

However, for cars over thirty years old which have a “collection” traffic title, this technical control is increased to five years because it is considered that these cars run little.

For cars endowed with a "collection" circulation title and which were manufactured before 1960, there is no longer any mandatory technical control because their owners are considered to be passionate collectors and very attentive to their vehicle and therefore, it would be superfluous ...-_-

Regarding road mortality, I doubt that this is the result of poor maintenance of old vehicles!:D

I would rather lean for a general behavior of French motorists and more precisely that of a certain category of the population, rather young and not necessarily French for several generations who happily frees themselves from the rules ... It is only to circulate a little on our road network to quickly notice ...:angry:

Last achievement strongly reflecting the amateur craftsmanship but, all the same, very practical… 

My co-pilot and I often ride with helmets for obvious aesthetic reasons… and also and above all because, except to have the two side-screens in place, the TR2 and 3 are a festival of drafts… :wacko:

Nevertheless, there are times when the helmets are at rest and I then install them on the small seats that my older children now refuse to use on the false pretext that they cannot fit their seat and their long legs in a space of 1000 cm ! :rolleyes:

As I wish to avoid the Bolide the humiliation too often reserved for TRs by their aging owners, which consists in adopting a driving rhythm that by the nuance that characterizes me, I would qualify as "phlegmatic", in other words, devoid of any sportiness, I force myself to adopt a rhythm that is to say the least sustained and inevitably, my two beautiful helmets begin to dance the jig until they settle down in a very inconsistent way and at the risk of being irreparably damaged, between the seats mounting brackets and the tunnel… :(

Today's rally pilots use nets to store their helmets and I guess in the old days the technique to prevent them from wandering dangerously around the cockpit and having them on hand at all times must have been the same as it is today. ... Anyway, I imagined that it had to be so and undertook a highly "crappy" but very practical realisation !:blink:

Tried with an Ikéa provision net, the first realization turned out to be rather disappointing and quite frankly pathetically grotesque ... Also, I had to find a more "authentic" net… I then had the idea of using the helmet nets used by the military to slip camouflage bands or branches into them. ;)

A thin branch of reed to keep them on the back wall and some old military leather to hang everything from the hood poles and voila ! ;)

I don’t know if it ever happened, but it’s very practical and looking old enough not to swear in the Bolide’s cabin!

Well, I promise, I'll stop decorating ! :ph34r:

610B669D-48E5-4344-9DF9-F9E83478AD6B.jpeg