9 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Thank you very much indeed! Very kind. I managed to improve the tickover. I read up on the theory, got my head around how Webers work, but in the end decided to let the experts overhaul the Webers and retune with smaller chokes/venturis jets etc.

So I am waiting eagerly to get my TR3 back. I teach at Limerick LIT, and the first semester is always crazy. Front-loaded courses and scheduling. But now things are easing off, and I shall be driving all winter, that's for sure.

Ciao, and thanks again, Michael!

David

Reply to DavidBee:

Great that you found professionals to do it right.  If in future you'd like to try your hand, I advise that the procedure in the manuals never worked for me on my TR4 (webers) so I developed my own technique that worked well enough that i never bothered to buy specialized equipment or get professional help.  Here it is:  (1) warm up car to normal operating temperature.  (2) disconnect carbs to that you can shut them down one at a time. (3) shut down one carb as much as possible, set other carb for decent idle speed, say 1000 revs (4) set mixture on the running carb using a sheet of white paper and good lighting, preferably outdoors.  Richen the mixture gradually until you JUST start to see carbon particles when you hold the paper beneath the exhaust, look CLOSELY!  Then gradually weaken until the particles JUST disappear.  At this point the exhaust beat should be smooth, with no cycling or popping and the mixture should be close to correct.  With this simple method I got decent fuel consumption and no fouling of the spark plugs.  (5). Shut down the carb you've adjusted, set mixture on the other one in the same way. (6) With carbs disconnected, set volume on each by turning each idle screw the same distance from first contact with its throttle stop. (7) re-connect the carbs.   This is my own solution but it will only work if the engine is HOT, the needles are not worn and there are no vaccuum leaks, such as the nasty leaks that can develop around throttle spindles.

cheers!

old-Mike-in-France

I continue the "Bolidage" of my antiquity!

Winter having arrived, and the gentleman's age being advanced, it was no longer a question of doing as before and spending the bad season, against all odds, in brooklands, so I made the decision to postpone the windshield and hard-top! At least the drafts will be contained ...:unsure:

I dreamed of the Lucas RMS 576, the "roof mount spot", a roof headlight installed on factory rally cars, especially from TR3s onwards, but which can also be seen on TR2s that have continued to run after 56 ...

But the RMS 576 is very rare and very expensive, I did win an auction recently but the seller refused to ship it outside the UK ... :(

There is one at Belmog, but with VAT and shipping costs, we approach € 800, which makes winter decor expensive!

Knowing that the RMS 576 is a 5 3/4 inch Lucas headlight equipped with an interior handle, I chose a bias that is illusory for the boeotian and for those who want it, that is to say me ... ;)

So I bought a 5 3/4 inch Lucas last week from Nostalgic for the modest sum of 118 €…

It is, with the exception of the rubber bellows, externally perfectly identical to the original! :blink:

One glance at this forum where I remembered that Iain had indicated the measurements of the exact location on the roof and I grabbed my drill!

Surprise! My car dating from July 54 and the hard-tops having been marketed the following October, I thought that my hard-top was undoubtedly one of the first and contemporary with the purchase of the car, but it is not so since 'this is not the case since' it is made of sheet metal and not of fiber (like the very first ones) which proves that it is at least several months after the purchase of the car ...

Here is the result… ;)

6F9CB268-4740-4100-9E2F-8502D50716B7.jpeg

I didn’t know the first hardtops were fibreglass?!

but I’m very pleased with my metal one I found second hand in good condition and fettled to fit. 

Well Done Francois. Car looks great.

In future if you need to ship to France do let me know and I’m sure we can sort something out.

I know the issues. I have an Original Speedpilot I need to get to Hedwig at Belmog for service …..and then back again, it’s very difficult!

Iain

I've seen hardtops in steel, fibre glass and aluminium.

The aluminum one (owned by a forum user with a very early TR2) attaches differently to the more common steel ones.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks Iain :)

By piercing it, I saw that it was not made of fiber but that it was indeed a metallic material. 

Bill Piggot only mentions those in fiber and then in metal and I have not read anywhere that there are any in aluminum but maybe mine is also in aluminum because I find it very surprisingly light for steel and I was amazed to find it was not fiber ! :o

There are three large screws at the front on the windshield and at the rear and one smaller screw on each side… :huh:

41 minutes ago, Teher said:

Thanks Iain :)

By piercing it, I saw that it was not made of fiber but that it was indeed a metallic material. 

Bill Piggot only mentions those in fiber and then in metal and I have not read anywhere that there are any in aluminum but maybe mine is also in aluminum because I find it very surprisingly light for steel and I was amazed to find it was not fiber ! :o

There are three large screws at the front on the windshield and at the rear and one smaller screw on each side… :huh:

Get a magnet on it 

I had bought a small Jaeger electric clock a few weeks ago but the solution was only halfway right for me ... and even less.

I dreamed of a rally-style dashboard. As I inquired, I realized that many of the instruments were 12:00 or 24:00 clocks, a priori, often from airplane cockpits. The best being what can be found in duplicate on Iain's TR3A Works: the Smiths "Time Of Trip". Obviously this is very rare (even more so than an RMS 576) and very expensive!

There was no question of devoting an important budget for a car that is not a historic car (Works) and which is only meant to be an evocation of the car of a "gentleman driver" of the time ...

Rummaging on eBay then appeared quantities of 12h00 or 24h00 clocks that equipped the post-war Soviet MIGs and which turn out to be copies, almost compliant for the oldest, of what were doing awful capitalists on the other side of the Iron Curtain ...

Some have dials marked in Cyrillic but others have nothing like "exotic" writing except for the winding or adjustment buttons and we find the typical characteristics of "Rally clocks" namely: the diameter of 80 mm, the fly hands, Mickey's ears at the bottom and above all a simple, robust and adjustable mechanism using a screw at the back of the case, shamelessly pumped on the Jaeger LeCoultre movements…

The price of these clocks is ridiculous since it only takes more or less a hundred euros to acquire a beautiful copy, well patinated and perfectly functional!

So I placed an order in Ukraine for a 12h00 model and a 24h00 model and a month later I am in possession of these two beautiful and heavy testimonies of the Bolshevik talent for espionage and industrial copying!

It remained to install these two beautiful babies. I did not want to remove the glove box and I made the bet that everything would fit while keeping it operational… Bet succeeded even if it was difficult because of the shape of the clocks which is not round but accommodates " Mickey ears ”at 4:00 am and 8:00 am!

There is even enough space left to install a turntable in the middle to accommodate two timing instruments!

F98D419D-A56D-46D3-BA8A-EBA5FE82C8FE.jpeg

2 hours ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Have you got a link for the company selling these clocks ?

My UK search found this   Lots of choice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2510209.m570.l1313&_nkw=mig+clock+acs1&_sacat=0

1B3A42D6-8815-4B6B-A164-967FF258CC58.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Lately, the work has continued ...
The first 12h clock has been changed to one with stopwatches and a green color more in keeping with the 24h clock.
A NOS Flexilight Butlers came to decorate an already well loaded dashboard and thanks to the skillful hands of friend Jean-Louis, I completed the decor with a house replica of the famous DuoStop or TriStop from Hanhart ... :blink:
The sun in the south west of France being sometimes annoying, I installed very old sun visors which I was given as a gift thirty years ago and which had been lying in the back of my garage all this time ... B)
It remains to finish installing my rear mounted Lucas in reversing light as well as my heating and I will now enter a relentless phase of making the car more reliable ...
I am now an airplane pilot at the controls of a Christmas tree! :ph34r:

504AD108-668D-4E47-B68C-00021ED3A8DA.jpeg

Edited by Teher

They look great. I did say that you can have too many gauges ( more things to worry about)

but it seems you can’t have too many clocks at least it’ll give your passengers something to do as you fly over France at zero feet altitude.

enjoy. 

Edited by Hamish
14 hours ago, Teher said:

504AD108-668D-4E47-B68C-00021ED3A8DA.jpeg

Monsieur,

I am enjoying your posts, the photograps too, and accompanying humour. My question is to ask you if you, per chance, plan to go rallying too, now that your cockpit is suitably fitted?

Ciao, David

Edited by DavidBee

My usual passenger has an aversion as old as it is stubborn for everything related to arithmetic and mathematics, in general and in particular. So…:rolleyes:

As for the sun, we are unfortunately not on the Côte d'Azur, so I like to keep the rays that reach us as much! B)

As for the rallies, not sure to make it one day with this car. I wanted to reproduce what could have been the car of a gentleman driver of the time. That, for example, of my father when he was 22, if one day he loved cars as much as his books ... :unsure:

During our icy meeting last month, evoking the beggar cold it was and my irrepressible desire to install or rather re-install a heater in the Bolide, a friend told me that a few days before, he had seen a TR2 heating for sale ...

There are many remakes but the dissimilarity with the original and the cost of 500 to 600 € had so far put me off ...

After searching, I finally found the bug. The seller was not open to negotiation and explained to me that in order to repair it, he had removed it from his TR2, sold since then and that it was working perfectly and therefore the € 300 requested was justified ...

I did not hesitate for long even though the "plumbing" aspect of the seller's repair left me in doubt ... :blink:

At the reception, my friend Jean-Louis confirmed to me that the repair made was a matter of low level amateurism and he undertook to dismantle everything and then reassemble everything in a coherent, clean and above all sustainable way! 

Spacers, rubbers, welds, screws and bolts, elbows and copper fittings later, here's the baby ready to reach the bowels of the Bolide after making sure it doesn't leak ... :)

Those who have already carried out the operation know that the thing is not that obvious and that the obstacles are numerous: it is necessary to remove the glove box and the brackets of the dashboard to house it and once in place, you have to connect hoses and ducts on the passenger compartment side, then tackle everything that is on the engine side ...

From experience, Jean-Louis knew that many problems come from these conduits and we dismantled everything, in particular the heating tube which runs along the engine block and which was filled with junk, like the bulkheads which vomited a brown mud not very tasty ... :wacko:

Everything being clean, tidy and connected, the faucet received its dose of WD40 and once the engine was warm, we opened it… Miracle!

Hot water came in and the radiator tubes got hot! :)

It remained to connect the electrical part and again it was not so simple ...

The rheostat was partially functioning: the cut was made but the increase and decrease in intensity were uneven and somewhat random ...

Neither one nor two, despite the late hour, Jean-Louis decided to dismantle the beast! On the menu: WD40 and Dremel ...

Result: a rheostat of almost 70 years in perfect operation!

I returned at 7:30 p.m., in the dark night pierced by the beam of my "long range spotlight" rocked by the agricultural roars of the 2L Standard Triumph and enveloped in a pleasant warmth which was diffused above my legs ... Well, I can you assure you that the king was not my cousin! ;)

9960812C-2DDB-4216-BB22-E20D0DAA65A3.jpeg