Centre Console/Arm rest

I saw the cost of these ones and just plumped for a universal one from ebay. Much cheaper and works great. Bit like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-ARM-ARMREST-CENTRE-CONSOLE-OPEL-VAUXHALL-AGILA-COMBO-MERIVA-ZAFIRA-/274353610835?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I started making my own first, but then I bought mine for X-mass when it was on sale at limora/SC parts for a bit under 200 quid. Think it is the same item other vendors like Moss sell, as Stuart shows in the link above. Fitting was easy, and I installed the switches for the seat heating in the holes to replace the adapters. The relais also fitted in there. The advantage of these plastic items is they just slide over the gear box tunnel, I did not do any drilling to the body.

Waldi

27 minutes ago, RogerH said:

You can easily make your own - similar to the one that Stuart has posted - but with more storage space.  Not rocket science. £189  wow !!! Roger

+1. It has to be so easy and you get what you want such as cabin lights. As for fitting, I'm sure if you think about it you can make that simple too without too much / if any drilling. That's what I'll be doing when I get there.

16 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

+1. It has to be so easy and you get what you want such as cabin lights. As for fitting, I'm sure if you think about it you can make that simple too without too much / if any drilling. That's what I'll be doing when I get there.

Interesting you mentioned cabin lights. I repurposed a rear view mirror from an MGF. It has built in cabin lights. 

29 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

mine is a simple drop fit on to the tunnel between the seats.

It is not attached in any way. So it can be removed as and when I need it out.

Roger

I bought one of these

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/centre-console-armrest-black-gac9977x.html

from Moss during one of their winter sales - not cheap at around £70 at the time, but it works well for me, held in place with some strategically applied Velcro. It also houses my seat-heater switches.

...... Andy 

yes...easy to make to your needs.

If you want to buy instead, this is same item as at Moss (I believe)... somewhat cheaper. this fellow makes several TR6 & MG accesories.... including the drink holder that clips onto center dash support, seat belt guides, etc.... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271440661966?hash=item3f331fcdce:g:0fQAAOSwPCVYAu2c

In the US, they sold Amco center consoles as shown in this recent reproduction.

note: I have no financial interest, but have purchased a few of his items.

100_4119.jpg

In browsing all these options I wonder why no one has made a unit that replaces the front console, gear lever surround and handbrake console with one coordinated unit matching interior trim. It could house all sorts of switches, radio / hifi, speakers, cabin lights and chubby holes. That's my aim when I get to this stage in my restoration.

14 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

In browsing all these options I wonder why no one has made a unit that replaces the front console, gear lever surround and handbrake console with one coordinated unit matching interior trim. It could house all sorts of switches, radio / hifi, speakers, cabin lights and chubby holes. That's my aim when I get to this stage in my restoration.

I guess it's because your have to incorporate a significant support structure to replicate what the front console provides. Not impossible, but would probably require a steel or aluminium framework. 

12 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

Hi Richard,

the big problem is 'how do you get it out when doing maintenance'????

I modified my dash support by cutting off the gearstick surround and then making it bigger to take switches. It still looks similar to original

Roger

DSC_5349a.jpg

DSC_5350a.jpg

6 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

Richard--

I looked at that possibility, too.  One other complication is that the brake lever when off is essentially right on the tunnel. 

As Roger mentions, the shift surround is part of the "H" frame dash support, which is structural.  I did something similar to what Roger did in making a separate removable surround, a little bigger than the original.  I couldn't see a good way to combine the surround with the console, though.

Ed

IMG_4046a.JPG

I don't really have a problem with making it strctural. Impressed with the various solutions but I also think I would try putting the H frame inside my console skin and I'm some way off getting there. See pics of my other car for which I did all the trim, dashboard and tub console - in fact all of the car! It is relatively easy to remove and up for a challange for the TR6 anyway.

Finished Dashboard - 2.JPG

Finished Trim - 2.JPG

Edited by Richard Pope
On 6/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

the big problem is 'how do you get it out when doing maintenance'????

I modified my dash support by cutting off the gearstick surround and then making it bigger to take switches. It still looks similar to original

Roger

DSC_5349a.jpg

DSC_5350a.jpg

Hi Roger,

Looking at your picture have you got electric windows in your car? If so where did you get the parts from?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

the parts are cobbled together. I have found that the kits either do not work or are beyond difficult/complicated.

The motors are from BMW E43 or E46

The gears  (12 and 36 teeth x 5mm pitch)   and drive belts from RS Components.

Have a look here  Leccy Windows

You need to cut a few little holes in the door chassis and it would be handy of you had a lathe or knew somebody with one.  :)

It is not complicated but you need your inventive head on.

Roger