Petrol woes ,,,,,,,again

Hi Chums

I also have vintages motorbikes as well as my Tr4, They  have all been i running fine on 95 for years,, if a tad sooty exhausts ,,,,,I had just run a full tank over 2 days about 300K ? in my 1962 500cc Velocette Venom clubman it ran fine to whole time , but two day ago filled up w/ Caltex (Chevron?) 95 , It didn't run good from the start and got progressively worse as the run of 70ks  went on , the last 5 ks it was really bad, I was thinking I wasn't going to make it, it was like the choke was 1/2 on, when I got back it wouldn't start again, I striped the carby  no prob' and points all good, but the plug was very sooty, I put a next step up hotter one in  and dropped the fuel Jet needle a notch then drained the Caltex and put some Vibe 91 petrol ( which the Tr4 didn't like) and now running fine again, any comments on this would be welcome, I have a feeling ?? the cheaper petrol may have less additives in it that would make better for vintage vehicle?? only a feeling--Barry

DSC03047.JPG

DSC03049.JPG

DSC03050.JPG

Hi Barry,  

I cannot comment on the relative merits of the fuel you are using, but are they adding Ethanol to your fuels down there, and in what quantities?  I understand it burns hotter and your symptoms do sound like plugs overheating.

Ralph

sounds like a duff tank of fuel.

the cheaper stuff may be "fresher" as the station has a quicker turn around with more customers.thus works.

i must admit i only use shell v-power (the premium stuff) typically from a busy petrol station.

H

Hi Mates

thanks the replies so far, the plug to me looked like it was too cold ,thats why I put the hotter plug in, thinking more heat less soot, the s/ station I used was really expensive, looked like the dearest in Aust', so you might have something there Hamish, just come back from a test run, it ran very well, but , it seemed a bit harder to start, on 91 now--Barry