Iridium spark plugs.

Hi, During second lockdown I didn't have a lot to do on the TR4a, after putting on all the replacement parts I had been gathering in the first lockdown!

The car had been running fine after my tinkering.  When our gatherings recommenced, discussion turned to what everybody had been up too, several .had fitted iridium plugs and seemed pleased with them, so I purchased a set to see how they performed. I just changed the plugs, nothing else. Now the car starts fine and idles smoothly but when the engine is under load it misfires and spits back through the carbs. As soon as it warms up to normal running temp it all settles down and runs fine. I checked the plugs after a run and the although the electrodes were a good colour, the base of the plugs seemed a little sooty.

Perhaps it needs another tinkering because of different plug characteristics.

Anybody else had a problem with these plugs, as I seem to be the only one in my gathering who has issues.

Thank you in anticipation,

Regards

Barry

What ignition system do you have & what spark plug gap did you set? As-delivered the plugs are gapped for an modern electronic ignition system...if you have a points ignition or a simple electronic ignition you likely have a weaker spark and the plugs wont spark properly when cylinder pressures are high.

Try setting the gap as per the manual.

Dave, Thanks for the reply.

I have the Accuspark replacement distributor with their electronic trigger built in. The points gap looked fine but to be honest I did not check them. I will gap them properly and report back.

Many thanks

Regards

Barry