TR250 paint finishes

I am in the process of restoring my body tub on my TR250 and the paint shop have asked me whether the front upper valance panel is to be painted body colour or matt black. I  seem to recall that it was body colour when I stripped the car down but I would appreciate confirmation of this point

Many thanks in anticipation

MIKE

1 hour ago, 250 said:

Hi Mike,

If you mean behind the grille definitely body colour IMHO. (Black on a 6)

Mark.

Nope TR5/250 should be black behind the grille too.

Stuart.

16 minutes ago, 250 said:

Thanks Stuart,

I stand corrected, I looked into this years ago when I bought mine and was told body colour by several oversea owners at the time some who had them from new.

Mark

Its possible on black or Royal blue cars this wasnt done so maybe thats where the confusion has come from.

Stuart

Wanted to add a footnote:  my Malines assembled CKD TR5 is white, still wearing its first paint (although maybe not so a year from now).   The grill  is removed and it is white behind, above, below, sideways ect around the front opening.  So no black.

Maybe this was just a CKD thing since the bodies were sent over there for final finishing.

And one more.  I have an original paint Royal Blue tr250 that is more parts car then runner, stored at my brothers farm.   I had him go take a look see at it and he confirmed that there is no black paint behind the grill.  There is black on the grill slats but its all body color on any of the body sheet metal (upper valence, lower valance, grill inset)

Interesting to see how the Royal Blue has a, to me at least, a really cool oxidation layer on the surface of purplish metallic.  It almost looks like a NASA picture of a nebula.   Anyway, I get where the Royal comes in as back in the Roman Day's purple was considered a royal color.

Edited by YankeeTR5

I did my royal blue restoration body colour all over except the sills which were Matt black.

Tim