Yes I know there isn't one, but has anybody added this?

I do find that this is one thing I do miss, and pulling the light switch is a bit of a faff.

I wondered if a TR4A lighting stalk might be used, turned upside doen, in plavce of the overdrive, usingjust half the movement

for that, and then then have the headlamp 'Pull' for the 'Flash?'

John.

Why not use a long stalk momentary switch, you could fit it in place of the dash light dimmer.

Stuart.

Looked at this Stuart, indeedbought a monmentary swith with a stalk, but Ihave ab aftermarket ply dash

over the original so screw on the swith isn't long enough.

I thought about countersinking the ply, but that could end up a mess!

John.

John

the works TR4’s had a stalk type momentary switch in the dash for use with the horn. I fitted a similar switch on BST82B as an ‘all beams max light’ flash and it works very well.

These were both on a steel dash back, but I’m sure you could fit to a wooden dash with minimal countersinking, or by drilling and oversize hole and countersinking / painting as per the battery / indicator warning light perhaps ? 

regards

Tony 

The switch which the Comps Dept fitted as lamp flasher to the Works' TR4 Rally cars has a 3.5" wand and it operates with just a few millimetres movement in ANY direction.

Neil found some of these switches a few years ago and I bought one which has a 5" wand, which I use to operate the Logic Overdrive - I've mounted it on the right of the steering column, where it is in easy reach of my fingertip

Unfortunately, it seems that such switches are no longer produced, which is a great pity as they are ideal for such duties.

Ian Cornish

Hello Ian.

This what I bought, I think from, Car Builder Solutions, not a lot of dosh £13 ish? and it too operates through 360 degrees 1623102267_flasherstalkresized.jpg.6735e73bf20fec06bbac04e6a22f1fed.jpg

with little movement,   just a case of where to site it.

John.

That looks good, John, but I cannot find it on the Car Builder Solutions site.

Might you have a reference number?

Ian Cornish

Thanks, gentlemen.  Don't know why I couldn't find it when I made a search on the Car Builder site, but I have noted the reference number now.

The mechanism is very different from that used on the 1960s switches which Tony and I have on our cars, but it does the same job and is inexpensive - I'm hoping that supplies will become available as I want to have a spare just in case!

Ian Cornish

On 6/2/2021 at 9:19 AM, stuart said:

Why not use a long stalk momentary switch, you could fit it in place of the dash light dimmer.

Stuart.

Footnote to this thread, followed Stuarts encouragement, after I found an old fashioned warning lamp body , that I could cut down, I drilled out the ply to this diameter, fitted and wired the stalk, then used the lamp body as a finisher.

Seems to work fine, falls to the fingertip and looks OK.

Thanks all.

1113947284_flasherfittedresized.jpg.e6c9e465e149d1420cfcae7e0ac95bfb.jpg

John.

45 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Footnote to this thread, followed Stuarts encouragement, after I found an old fashioned warning lamp body , that I could cut down, I drilled out the ply to this diameter, fitted and wired the stalk, then used the lamp body as a finisher.

Seems to work fine, falls to the fingertip and looks OK.

Thanks all.

1113947284_flasherfittedresized.jpg.e6c9e465e149d1420cfcae7e0ac95bfb.jpg

John.

Well done John that`ll do nicely.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

This has got me thinking. In the kit car world one uses many different steering columns mating to lower columns of other cars / custom ones. Often Sierra.

Has anyone ever mated a modern (more modern) upper steering column to a TR6?

It would provide all the moder switchgear one wanted and look neat as well.