Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Today Birmingham has introduced a new emission zone. I checked and my 4A is exempt (also for Bath). In the past I have checked the ULEZ and congestion charges in London and previously the TR was exempt there but apparently no longer. In London area emission zone rules for classic cars are exempt.

Here is exemption info for London but my reg says I'm not exempt when I check it on TFL website.

Historic vehicles

You can apply to stop paying vehicle tax if your vehicle was built more than 40 years ago. This date moves forward on a 40-year rolling system. For example, when the ULEZ launched in April 2019, vehicles built before 1979 were eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class.

All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans).

In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 will be exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise.

If your vehicle meets the above criteria but is registered outside the UK, you are also exempt, but will need to register with us before travelling in the zone.

 

However I then go onto TFL website to register the TR as exempt because of its historic status and it says it is already registered and exempt from LEZ ULEZ emission zone charges. Seems like part of TFL site not communicating with another part.

confused

Keith

Edited by keith1948
update
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just checked my car (1969 TR6) on the TFL website and found the same thing. It clearly states vehicles in the historic vehicle tax class are exempt but when I check the registration it says payment required. Something for the club officials to take up with  TFL before someone gets an unexpected fine?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhere in the small print on the checker it explains that (for London only) it only checks the emissions standard of the vehicle not the VED status.  To check whether you need to pay the charge go to the 'Pay to Drive in London' page and continue as if paying, it will then show the vehicle as exempt and no charge payable.

Mike

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What next a slot on your neck for breathing! 

Out of interest the people of Birmingham voted against the ULEZ but the Labour council has imposed it, for me that equals no pay and I'd encourage everyone affected not to pay.

Andy

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Hi All

Portsmouth is introducing a ULEZ in the town centre area in October, at the moment it is only going to be for Commercial vehicles including taxi's, £10 per day charge only Euro 6 vehicles are exempt probably won't be long before all vehicles included, so will have to check the 4 if this happens. A friend of mine is far from happy as he runs 3 taxi's one is compliant one can be converted at a cost of about £4000, and the 3rd cab will have to come off the road in January when the time period for getting vehicles converted or buy another runs out as it cannot be converted.

Another brilliant idea we have at the moment is electric scooter hire which is supposed to get people out of their cars and reduce traffic, all we see are teenagers sometimes 2 up zooming about on the road causing chaos jumping red lights and slowing down traffic usually of course on their phones. Me old and opinionated not at all...

Phil

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all


I got a fantastically detailed letter from TfL advising me of all sorts including that 5VC was liable to ULEZ charges - it’s a 1962 car obviously, so that’s nonsense.

Quite why I got this letter given that the car is still on a SORN and hasn’t been through London since 1963 I don’t know. It’s also been registered in the uk for a number of years !

I would have thought that basic arithmetic might indicate that the car is over 40 years old and therefore exempt ? What’s going on ?

regards

Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TR4Tony VC said:

Hi all


I got a fantastically detailed letter from TfL advising me of all sorts including that 5VC was liable to ULEZ charges - it’s a 1962 car obviously, so that’s nonsense.

Quite why I got this letter given that the car is still on a SORN and hasn’t been through London since 1963 I don’t know. It’s also been registered in the uk for a number of years !

I would have thought that basic arithmetic might indicate that the car is over 40 years old and therefore exempt ? What’s going on ?

regards

Tony

You are exempt Tony if you are driving 5 VC in the ULEZ both not exempt in the congestion zone.

Peter W

 

CEB513F5-9800-4898-A6BE-333A2612C500.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one jumping on the band wagon.

If and when we are all electric I'm sure they will come up with another charge to boost the coffers. Personally if they charge I will stay away from the town centres and go else where while the town centres empty and the councils come to their senses.

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PodOne said:

and the councils come to their senses.

Andy 

Andy, do you believe in the tooth fairy as well? :D

How's this for stupidity: a section of the M6 near my house is to have a 60mph speed limit imposed "to improve local air quality". The reduced speed section will be 3.5 miles long!

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pete

True of course they exsist especially around voting season!

The M1 Sheffield Meadow Hell junction has the the same stupid speed limits imposed from time to time, result congestion and more pollution genius at work.

Andy

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi Pete

True of course they exsist especially around voting season!

The M1 Sheffield Meadow Hell junction has the the same stupid speed limits imposed from time to time, result congestion and more pollution genius at work.

Andy

:D

You'd think local councils would know more about air movement given the amount generated in their meetings.

Thankfully I haven't been to Meadowhell or it's Brum counterpart Merry Hell for years!

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, stillp said:

Andy, do you believe in the tooth fairy as well? :D

How's this for stupidity: a section of the M6 near my house is to have a 60mph speed limit imposed "to improve local air quality". The reduced speed section will be 3.5 miles long!

Pete

Noticed the same on a section of the M4 in Wales recently...

Miles

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok explain this.

my Citroen euro box is a low CO2 emission car and I pay £30.00 per year road tax.  The Mayor of London says it is not a low emission vehicle and requires ULEZ payment for it.    I can see a lot of cars in outer London sporting sticky tape on their number plates come October.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ok explain this.

my Citroen euro box is a low CO2 emission car and I pay £30.00 per year road tax.  The Mayor of London says it is not a low emission vehicle and requires ULEZ payment for it.    I can see a lot of cars in outer London sporting sticky tape on their number plates come October.

Short of pedal power every thing that moves will have a fleecing ticket attached to it. Unfortunately the councils seem to be able to do what they like even when its against what the voters thought they were getting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.