I bought a factory hardtop recently and have finally got it nearly all sorted. One of the nuts in the hardtop that the windscreen bolt engages into had broken free so I couldn't tension the front of the top down. All fixed now.

The top didn't have the B post fixings when I bought it. I have acquired through sheer luck the passenger (left) side brackets and the lower half of the drivers side. I need the piece of the bracket that bolts onto the B post. Photo below of the passenger side one, the piece bolted to the B post is what I'm after. They are handed so a drivers side one won't work.

I have tried the usual sources Rimmers, TR Shop, Moss, Roadster Factory and the Australian ones with no luck.

If anybody has one they don't want I'll buy it and pay package and postage.

IMG_0813 (002).jpg

Edited by John McCormack
Typo

Hi John I think you must be talking about part numbers 625311 625312, and not 625315 as they are still available at a ridiculous price of £50 each.

The other 2 are handed and are as rare as hens teeth I could only get one from the  Roadster Factory 3 years ago, but was very luck a friend from the pub made me a pair but only as a one off.

3 years the TR Shop Chiswick had them, but again at a ridiculous but I suppose supply and demand good luck.

Mick. 

P1010847.JPG.ea24e37f583a998f93c92278065d7526.JPG

Thanks gents. Yes, it is 625312 I'm after. I made one out of aluminium but it seems to be critical to get it to fit snugly over the lower part of the bracket and to mate up exactly to the B post. I would expect it to be an expensive job to have one made. Lots of measuring of shapes and angles to get it all to mate up properly.

I would have thought there must be a few still around. An Australian parts distributor had the passenger side and the bottom of the drivers side gathering dust for 10 years so gave them to me for about 50pds delivered.

Hi John as a carpenter I did quite a good drawing which my friend used to make a pair for me.

My brothers friend Paul who is very good in many different areas produced this very good cad drawing for me after, for future reference. 

I am fairly sure looking at your previous posts you are good around TR'S.

As you can see from the original it is cast, but as harrytr5 eludes to it is very easy to make, and is by engineering standards very crude.

My friend cut a flat piece of metal to look like the pigs ear shape and drilled the holes, and then cut a short length of standard barrel.

I do not know which method was used Mig or Tig but they looked very good, I then did a little extra filing to make them perfect, I then moaned at my friend for not powder coating them :D so Steve said give them back and I will get them done, Steve has a powder coating company almost next to his factory:)

As you know by making one yourself they do not have to be perfect, and when I fixed mine I left all the fixing bolts loose, and then first tightened the long connecting bolt and then just gently tightened the other 5 fixings.

You Australians built the Sydney Harbour Bridge which I was lucky enough to climb, so a little bracket, piece of cake.

People in the past having been asking for them so I expect a little thin on the ground, and even if you have a hardtop you don't use, you would want to keep all the hardtop fixings.

I do not know if you have checked with the TR Shop Chiswick yet, other people have put a link to a complete hardtop fixing kit from them but this does not include either of the required brackets.  

All the best Mick.         

Bracket1.thumb.jpg.0ed705926e9c26ba62fe60d56324c5bf.jpg

17 hours ago, Triumph said:

Hi John as a carpenter I did quite a good drawing which my friend used to make a pair for me.

My brothers friend Paul who is very good in many different areas produced this very good cad drawing for me after, for future reference. 

I am fairly sure looking at your previous posts you are good around TR'S.

As you can see from the original it is cast, but as harrytr5 eludes to it is very easy to make, and is by engineering standards very crude.

My friend cut a flat piece of metal to look like the pigs ear shape and drilled the holes, and then cut a short length of standard barrel.

I do not know which method was used Mig or Tig but they looked very good, I then did a little extra filing to make them perfect, I then moaned at my friend for not powder coating them :D so Steve said give them back and I will get them done, Steve has a powder coating company almost next to his factory:)

As you know by making one yourself they do not have to be perfect, and when I fixed mine I left all the fixing bolts loose, and then first tightened the long connecting bolt and then just gently tightened the other 5 fixings.

You Australians built the Sydney Harbour Bridge which I was lucky enough to climb, so a little bracket, piece of cake.

People in the past having been asking for them so I expect a little thin on the ground, and even if you have a hardtop you don't use, you would want to keep all the hardtop fixings.

I do not know if you have checked with the TR Shop Chiswick yet, other people have put a link to a complete hardtop fixing kit from them but this does not include either of the required brackets.  

All the best Mick.         

Bracket1.thumb.jpg.0ed705926e9c26ba62fe60d56324c5bf.jpg

Thanks Mick. I have copied the drawing and will take it to a machinist to see if I can get one made. I might make a few if they are needed by others.

27 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

Thanks Mick. I have copied the drawing and will take it to a machinist to see if I can get one made. I might make a few if they are needed by others.

Curious about the result!

"You Australians built the Sydney Harbour Bridge which I was lucky enough to climb, so a little bracket, piece of cake."

I don't think they did ! I'm pretty sure that was Dorman long from Middlesbrough.

And as shown in Wiki

Bridge building[edit]

The most famous bridge ever constructed by a Teesside company was Dorman Long's Sydney Harbour Bridge of 1932,[6] of similar construction to but, contrary to popular belief, not modelled on the 1928 Tyne Bridge, a construction regarded as the symbol of Tyneside's Geordie pride, but also a product of Dorman Long's Teesside workmanship. The greatest example of Dorman Long's work in Teesside itself is the single span Newport Lifting Bridge (a Grade II Listed Building). Opened by the Duke of York in February 1934 it was England's first vertical lift bridge.[7]

Mick Richards

Hi washi what are you curious about, hope I can help.

If it is the look of the part, most TR experts would be hard pressed to spot the difference, but the black powder coating could be a give away, unfortunately if that is your question, my garage is away from my house and I am not able to go for a while, but I am going to take a photo of this bracket next time I go, this has come up before. 

Mick.

Hi John I think to make some more would be a good idea if not to expensive, although most people do not seem to like hardtops, and I think most people who have hardtops almost never use them.

It is quite funny I personally think all convertible cars look better with hardtops, although not the best driving experience.

Mick. 

3 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

"You Australians built the Sydney Harbour Bridge which I was lucky enough to climb, so a little bracket, piece of cake."

I don't think they did ! I'm pretty sure that was Dorman long from Middlesbrough.

And as shown in Wiki

Bridge building[edit]

The most famous bridge ever constructed by a Teesside company was Dorman Long's Sydney Harbour Bridge of 1932,[6] of similar construction to but, contrary to popular belief, not modelled on the 1928 Tyne Bridge, a construction regarded as the symbol of Tyneside's Geordie pride, but also a product of Dorman Long's Teesside workmanship. The greatest example of Dorman Long's work in Teesside itself is the single span Newport Lifting Bridge (a Grade II Listed Building). Opened by the Duke of York in February 1934 it was England's first vertical lift bridge.[7]

Mick Richards

Very true, it was Dorman who designed and managed it. It was just the Australian workers who did the hard yards to build it.

I live about 6.5kms from it and cross it at least once a week. Like most things in your home town, it is just a bridge to get to places that is sometimes crammed with cars. I rarely marvel at it anymore but it is pretty special and over the best harbour in the world.

Hi John and washi I was typing my reply when your reply's came in.

Hi Mick.

I stand corrected :).

I had a sneaking suspicion it may not have been made in Australia, should have done my research first, but I expect it was constructed by Australians, my humorous point was supposed to be the bracket is very easy to make, I better stick with the day job O I can’t I am retired.

In 2019 I was lucky to spend 9 weeks travelling thousands of miles on the Indian railways, sorry British railways :).

Don’t know why I still have a sense of humour with a broken clutch.

Unfortunately washi I thought I had added, these were made as a one off, a big favour by a friend from the pub, Steve runs a very busy industrial radiator company with fingers in many pies, and does not have time to put many small odd jobs through his business 

Good to read all the forum posts.

Mick.

Edited by Triumph
1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Hi washi what are you curious about, hope I can help.

If it is the look of the part, most TR experts would be hard pressed to spot the difference, but the black powder coating could be a give away, unfortunately if that is your question, my garage is away from my house and I am not able to go for a while, but I am going to take a photo of this bracket next time I go, this has come up before. 

Mick.

Hi John I think to make some more would be a good idea if not to expensive, although most people do not seem to like hardtops, and I think most people who have hardtops almost never use them.

It is quite funny I personally think all convertible cars look better with hardtops, although not the best driving experience.

Mick. 

I have two TR2s and the TR6. My wife isn't keen on the TR6 so making it a coupe for unpleasant days means she likes taking it out. A win win. The TR6 is in some ways a better driving experience with the top on. It is stiffer, handles better and has a lot less wind noise at high speed..

I have the TR2s, one of which is my daily driver, for open top driving.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:14 AM, John McCormack said:

I bought a factory hardtop recently and have finally got it nearly all sorted. One of the nuts in the hardtop that the windscreen bolt engages into had broken free so I couldn't tension the front of the top down. All fixed now.

The top didn't have the B post fixings when I bought it. I have acquired through sheer luck the passenger (left) side brackets and the lower half of the drivers side. I need the piece of the bracket that bolts onto the B post. Photo below of the passenger side one, the piece bolted to the B post is what I'm after. They are handed so a drivers side one won't work.

I have tried the usual sources Rimmers, TR Shop, Moss, Roadster Factory and the Australian ones with no luck.

If anybody has one they don't want I'll buy it and pay package and postage.

IMG_0813 (002).jpg

Hi  

Is it the part which is attached to the hardtop itself?

Regards

Peter

22 hours ago, pjc615ukuk said:

Hi  

Is it the part which is attached to the hardtop itself?

Regards

Peter

Yes. Two 1/4" UNF bolts hold it to the B pillar.

Hi John. 

I have two brackets, one of which is perfect, and the other has been heated up and bent in an attempt to make it the opposite hand. 

My hard top was at the restorers at the time, and I'd forgotten that brackets were already attached to the top. 

So, rather annoyingly I end up buying these brackets unnecessarily- doh!

I was lucky with the purchase of one bracket paying only £20 on ebay, but paid TR Trader in Manchester £50 for the altered one.

I'd probably be happy enough to get £50 for the pair. Expensive I know,but I'm guessing you're as desperate as I was at that time?

Regards

Peter

On 6/7/2021 at 8:45 AM, John McCormack said:

Yes. Two 1/4" UNF bolts hold it to the B pillar.

Hi pjc615ukuk

Your sentence below made me laugh, you referred to yourself as doh, I would not, I know you eventually found out you did not need them, but I think you did very well to find one for £20 on eBay, you must know they are as rare as hens teeth, not so sure about £50 for a bent one.

Do you know if it worked, you may not if you already had them fitted, they are cast at an angle see below, so not sure if it would have worked.

When I was looking the TR Shop wanted a lot more money, but that is supply and demand so I had a pair made.

I was only able to find the one below from the The Roadster Factory with other parts needed for fitting my hardtop.

(So, rather annoyingly I end up buying these brackets unnecessarily- doh)

Mick.

IMG_5172.JPG.b52281486c0fe93058b4b2b54201279c.JPGIMG_5173.JPG.133b6d9945f910602d6b9cd99b187fac.JPG

Edited by Triumph
1 hour ago, pjc615ukuk said:

Hi John. 

I have two brackets, one of which is perfect, and the other has been heated up and bent in an attempt to make it the opposite hand. 

My hard top was at the restorers at the time, and I'd forgotten that brackets were already attached to the top. 

So, rather annoyingly I end up buying these brackets unnecessarily- doh!

I was lucky with the purchase of one bracket paying only £20 on ebay, but paid TR Trader in Manchester £50 for the altered one.

I'd probably be happy enough to get £50 for the pair. Expensive I know,but I'm guessing you're as desperate as I was at that time?

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter, which one is perfect? I am after the right hand side, drivers side here in Australia same as the UK. Cheers John

Images are for the unadulterated bracket.

I keep my hard top on a mezzanine in my garage, and will need to move the car to enable my to identify which hand this bracket is? 

I'll try and get to the hardtop and establish which hand this one is, asap. 

Regards

Peter

20210609_184155.jpg

Hi pjc615ukuk

The answer to the question is in your photo.

Part no: 625311 bracket roof to body side LH.

Part no: 625312 bracket roof to body side RH.

I can 100% prove this I will attach part of my invoice from The Roadster Factory 07/06/17.

You are able to read just about poor light, 625311 1-09 T6 LH bracket hard top mount $17.97

I will also attach a photo of my LH bracket I hope you can see part no: 625311, so even back in 2017 I could not find off the shelf from the suppliers I tried part no: 625312 RH.

Mick.

IMG_5179.JPG.fc0ec873468a462a0b07e87227c7141c.JPGIMG_5180.JPG.447781e7f9a1ce1e8a3610d82ed46f7e.JPG

13 hours ago, pjc615ukuk said:

Right, that answers the question and more importantly, saves me straining my neck to check my hard top on the mezzanine.

Thanks Mike for identifying which hand it is, and apologies to John Mc Cormick for getting his hope's up. 

Peter

Thanks Peter and Mick. I did have my hopes up, I was sitting here imagining angles for the hardtop and though it might be the RHD one. A good pickup on the part number.

What is the 'modified' one like? Does it fit?

Hi John

How determined are you to get part no: 625312 bracket roof to body side RH, we know they are as rare as Hen’s teeth.

As you live in Australia I decided to telephone The TR Shop 16 Chiswick High Road London. (+44) 020-8995-6621 info@trshop.co.uk www.trshop.co.uk

Although I mentioned them before I did not think, as you live in Australia you may think it would be a long shot.

I spoke with a very helpful gentleman Lucas, before he gave me the price he warned me they were expensive which I already knew. They will have a lot of over overheads like all businesses.

Understandably they are reluctant to split a pair, but they would, now the bad news, supply and demand, part no: 625312 £100.00 plus vat, £150.00 the pair plus vat, because you live in Australia you do not pay vat, just the postage, which for a small part cannot be too expensive.

£50 for a bent LH says it all.

So John pays your money takes your choice.

I did tell Lucas if a John from Australia contacts you, it will be the same inquiry.

But if you are not happy with your homemade bracket I expect you want an original, so over to you.

Mick.