Bolt with no nut - Gearbox Box housing

I had a mechanic and not particularly great mechanic replace my clutch last year and anyway I spotted this bolt sticking out... Can anybody advise if this is right because if I look at  moss diagrams it does not look right, or should I just put a nut on there and if so does anybody know what thred it is?

20210531_202335.jpg

Edited by AarhusTr6

I suspect that should be a dowel pin. Part DP619 in the Moss catalogue. There are two to help align the engine & box, one roughly there and another about 180 degrees away - I don't remember exact locations, no doubt somebody will have a photo.

Jerry

2 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

I had a mechanic and not particularly great mechanic replace my clutch last year and anyway I spotted this bolt sticking out... Can anybody advise if this is right because if I look at  moss diagrams it does not look right, or should I just put a nut on there and if so does anybody know what thred it is?

20210531_202335.jpg

Order yourself the printed TR 5/6 parts sales catalogue from Moss Europe.  It has a diagram of what bolts go where.

Peter W

Stick an earth strap on it to the body and then a nut. 
can’t have too many earth straps. It’ll also look like it’s supposed to be there then.

what a great idea!!!

55 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Stick an earth strap on it to the body and then a nut. 
can’t have too many earth straps. It’ll also look like it’s supposed to be there then.

I think you'll find that it is meant to be a stud that is there to help align the gearbox with the bell housing when assembling.

I'm not sure that you'll be able to remove it and replace it with the correct stud, but if you remove the gearbox later (to replace the clutch etc) and you accidentally remove the 2 'studs' then you'll have great fun trying to get the gearbox back on.

Cheers, Robert

1972 RHD.  Mine has a nut/bolt fitting, just like the nut/bolt fitting on either side of the arrow.

Alan

TR-6 bolt location_LI.jpg

The problem with using bolts is that you don't have anything to align the gearbox and bellhousing when refitting. This isn't a problem if you've got the engine out, but a total bugger if you're doing it in-situ.

Take a look at Cheftush's video at around the 5 minute mark: 

Except they are generally listed as specific dowel bolts not dowels as in the video. Mine on a TR6 were a tight fit so act as dowels. 

I would also mention that the proper guide bolts, 132872 the shank is not very long and so the bolt should be fitted with the head of the bolt towards the front, as the back plate is not that thick and will have a chance to meet the gearbox alignment hole.   You could find a longer shank bolt and use that as the dowel and tighten up the others to get the alignment.

John

16 hours ago, PodOne said:

Except they are generally listed as specific dowel bolts not dowels as in the video. Mine on a TR6 were a tight fit so act as dowels. 

They are supposed to be a good fit to correctly align the gearbox as it makes a lot of difference on a 6cylinder cars clutch action.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

They are supposed to be a good fit to correctly align the gearbox as it makes a lot of difference on a 6cylinder cars clutch action.

Stuart.

+1