Bonnet alignment

Hi All,

Is there a knack to bonnet alignment..or a sequence the fixing points should be adjusted..?

thx in advance..

Nigel.

1 minute ago, NigelH said:

Hi All,

Is there a knack to bonnet alignment..or a sequence the fixing points should be adjusted..?

thx in advance..

Nigel.

There is Indeed young man, I have been renovating my TR4 but didn't have a bonnet that wasn't undamaged, fitting my odd bonnet was more than a trial so I borrowed one from TR bits. First remove the hinges from the wings and bonnet and make certain the bonnet fits the "OLE".  see pics, mine didn't so I had to bend it straight as Niall might have said, but its all downhill from there!  adjusting is easier done with headlamps removed. Good luck with it.

P1080494.jpg

P1080489.jpg

The front of the car bows out forwards and over time flatens it self. The front of the wings move outwards and give big gaps at the front.

Don't necessarily panic with the bonnet until the wings are correct.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I've found that the best way to do this is to first remove or disable the scuttle bonnet catch, then remove the front hinges, set the bonnet in the 'ole and get the bonnet to scuttle gap correct (you'll need the wings fully attached to be sure of having it centered), wedge the bonnet in position along the wings and check for the correct gaps, finally attach the front hinges making the hinges fit the bonnet rather than the bonnet fit the hinges (extra length to the slots if necessary), you can then move on to carefully fitting the catch, good luck.

Cheers Rob

Thanks all for the advice, i sense the OLE in mine isn't right to start with.

Measure once cut twice..:)

Nigel.