distributor polarity.

Hi,

In my efforts to fix/replace my seized distributor I am running into some weird issues. Still had an aftermarket new distributor lying around, fitted it after I made sure that timing and all was set up properly. Engine turns over good when low tension wire ( -) is disconnected. When I hook that wire up it seems that my engine is seizing up, stopping very suddenly. Disconnect wire or take distributor out and everything turns around smoothly again.....could it be possible that this distributor is grounded differently than the car ( car is pos. ground)

And what exactly is different on a distributor with different polarity? Any way of testing this?

Thanks,

Yves

Standard points distributors do not have a polarity Yves. 

Have you checked that the firing order is correct ?    Is it possible you are fitting the dizzy 180 degrees out? (not impossible to do)

Hello Yves,

I would guess it's a timing issue.

The spark is firing wwaayy before TDC so trying to push the piston back before it reaches TDC. (Giving the impression the crank is locking up.)

I'd suggest you check your timing again, and that the spark plug leads go to the right plugs.

Charlie.

(Fastest-finger-first Rob beat me to it.)

Edited by Charlie D

Thanks for the advice and info. 1st cylinder on TDC on compression stroke, center of the distributor drive gear aiming at the 1st cylinder pushrod tube and on that drive the key way for the oil pump drive on the left hand side ( away from the engine block). Think this should be in the ball park to get something....but no luck. So I agree that timing seems totally off, because I did the most horrible thing and sprayed some go juice in two cylinders, and yes, big bang in the exhaust....getting desperate here.

Any other advice or am I missing something.

Yves

I am not sure what has led to this situation but agree the timing is too far advanced.

Have you checked the cam to crank timing?

if the cam is not in the correct relationship to the crank the distributor will be wrong relative to TDC. 

Rocker cover off and double check.

Neil

Are you absolutely sure you haven’t got the timing 180 degrees out? When no. 1 is at TDC the slot for the distributor drive should be pointing at the spark plug for no. 1 and must be slightly offset above and to the right of the centre line of the drive. There is an illustration of this in the WSM.

Rgds Ian

9E4F3B90-FC68-444D-9D75-4B737F2F472D.png

Edited by Ian Vincent

The important thing is that the rotor arm is pointing at the correct HT lead. Even if you have the slot in the right place, someone may have assembled the distributor wrongly, & ended up with the rotor arm 180° out. Find TDC on compression stroke of - say No. 1 cylinder, then check that the rotor arm is pointing at the correct HT lead for that cylinder.  It may be that the new distributor is correct, but you old one was wrong, & the HT leads had been re-ordered to compensate.

Bob.

The distributor rotates ccw when viewed from above.   The vehicle timing is 1-3-4-2

Yes timing of the gear in the block is important with no1 set on tdc compression.  
Getting the distributor drive engaged correctly is then easily done.  

Set the points gap to 14-16 thou ins.

The next step is to get the points just opening.   Do this by rotating the the distributor cw and checking with a continuity meter connected between the coil connector on the distributor side and the distributor body (earth)

Nip up the screws/nuts brat hold the distributor.  

Look where the finger of the rotor arm is pointing.  

Fit the distributor cap and check the finger is pointing at the connector in the cap that the wire going to no 1 is connected to.

Bob has stated all this above.

it might start now….once running you can reset the timing/tune.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT