I received my 2nd repaired loom back from Autosparks and fitted it last week, unfortunately I am still having issues. The standard loom elements have worked ok, albeit there are discrepancies in length between the two looms and I've had to have them lengthen a couple of runs, the main areas of concern are the Hazard add-on and in the case of this 2nd loom, the washer & wiper circuit. I am not having much luck with AS support, hence my asking on here.

Hazards: AS provide an after market socket which takes a cheap switch which they sell, unfortunately it doesn't suit our cars from a style perspective, I have a second switch on order to see if that's causing my issues so I'll park that for now.

Wiper motor: The high speed position works fine, normal speed does nothing. There is continuity on all 4 wires to the motor plug.  I have stripped, cleaned & reassembled the wiper switch, I had continuity across the terminal pairs for both speed settings before and after cleaning, washer & wiper worked fine before loom change.

Washer motor: doesn't pump. works fine on bench.

Common: Both the normal speed wiper and the washer pump wiring route via the voltage regulator. Temp & fuel gauges work fine, regulator voltages appear correct for input & output, swapping out for another regulator makes no difference. The washer pump works when 12v applied directly. 

Any suggestions as to where I might look next on the wash/wipe issues?

Edited by iani
23 minutes ago, iani said:

I received my 2nd repaired loom back from Autosparks and fitted it last week, unfortunately I am still having issues. The standard loom elements have worked ok, albeit there are discrepancies in length between the two looms and I've had to have them lengthen a couple of runs, the main areas of concern are the Hazard add-on and in the case of this 2nd loom, the washer & wiper circuit. I am not having much luck with AS support, hence my asking on here.

Hazards: AS provide an after market socket which takes a cheap switch which they sell, unfortunately it doesn't suit our cars from a style perspective, I have a second switch on order to see if that's causing my issues so I'll park that for now.

Wiper motor: The high speed position works fine, normal speed does nothing. There is continuity on all 4 wires to the motor plug.  I have stripped, cleaned & reassembled the wiper switch, I had continuity across the terminal pairs for both speed settings before and after cleaning, washer & wiper worked fine before loom change.

Washer motor: doesn't pump. works fine on bench.

Common: Both the normal speed wiper and the washer pump wiring route via the voltage regulator. Temp & fuel gauges work fine, regulator voltages appear correct for input & output, swapping out for another regulator makes no difference. The washer pump works when 12v applied directly. 

Any suggestions as to where I might look next on the wash/wipe issues?

I would also re-check the wash wipe s/w? If its the original Clear Hooter one which you turn, to s/w on? or the rocker type they are a night mere! Moss do a replacement which is only a look alike and they are a night mere. I have had 4 of them in the warranty period???

Bruce.

2 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

I would also re-check the wash wipe s/w? If its the original Clear Hooter one which you turn, to s/w on? or the rocker type they are a night mere! Moss do a replacement which is only a look alike and they are a night mere. I have had 4 of them in the warranty period???

Bruce.

I get continuity in both speed positions so I believe the switch is ok, I don't accept that both switches would fail at exactly the same time either.

I have just swapped wires 1 & 3 on the wiper switch, I now get high speed on the normal position, this proves that the switch is working in both positions.

Assuming the car is a '69 with the wiper switch on the dash the supply taken off the voltage regulator supplies both normal and fast speeds. It is piggy backed off the voltage regulator supply terminal. If that line was open circuit neither would work. A failure of the voltage regulator shouldn't affect the wipers, and the fact that the temp and fuel gauges work proves its ok anyway. The supply direct from fuse to motor is for the park function.

Not sure where that leaves you, it may be you have two faults.

Mike.

1 minute ago, michaelfinnis said:

Assuming the car is a '69 with the wiper switch on the dash the supply taken off the voltage regulator supplies both normal and fast speeds. It is piggy backed off the voltage regulator supply terminal. If that line was open circuit neither would work. A failure of the voltage regulator shouldn't affect the wipers, and the fact that the temp and fuel gauges work proves its ok anyway. The supply direct from fuse to motor is for the park function.

Not sure where that leaves you, it may be you have two faults.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I didn't think the VR was the culprit here, I have had to relocate it from the back of the speedo due to using an electronic speedo conversion but it is earthed and working correctly.

Mike is saying that the wipers are piggy-backed off the VR which would give them 12v, I'm not sure if Ian you are saying that the wiper feed is now through the VR which only supplies 10v.

Jerry

Ian are you sure you have the 4 wires to the wiper switch on the correct terminals?

Recently I changed the dash on a TR6 I bought last October and was extremely careful (phone video taken) making sure that when I went to fit this switch again the wires would be in the correct positions. Hmm not so simple. The PO had put the wires on in the wrong order and upon re-assembly with the wires back on in the order they cam off in I had normal wipe in position 2, nothing in position 1 and nothing in position zero evidently. I checked the TR6 brown bible and discovered the re-assembly was wrong. Fitted wires in the correct order page number 88-00-01 and bingo job done.

Never thought to try this switch before I de-dashed the car, should have done!

Top terminal (1)  Blue/light green.    Second terminal (2) Green.  Third terminal (3) Red light green and lastly Fourth terminal (4) Brown/light green.

Alan G

47 minutes ago, cp25616 said:

Ian are you sure you have the 4 wires to the wiper switch on the correct terminals?

Recently I changed the dash on a TR6 I bought last October and was extremely careful (phone video taken) making sure that when I went to fit this switch again the wires would be in the correct positions. Hmm not so simple. The PO had put the wires on in the wrong order and upon re-assembly with the wires back on in the order they cam off in I had normal wipe in position 2, nothing in position 1 and nothing in position zero evidently. I checked the TR6 brown bible and discovered the re-assembly was wrong. Fitted wires in the correct order page number 88-00-01 and bingo job done.

Never thought to try this switch before I de-dashed the car, should have done!

Top terminal (1)  Blue/light green.    Second terminal (2) Green.  Third terminal (3) Red light green and lastly Fourth terminal (4) Brown/light green.

Alan G

Well done Alan, right on the money. I naively had wired up in numerical order, the ROM shows the wires numbered 49, 50, 51 & 52, the key tells you which colour corresponds with which number, I assembled in numerical order to match terminal numbers 1-4 on the switch, oh no, turns out you need to look on the diagram where it shows them assembled in the order you give, thank you very much, a huge relief.

The washer motor is also fixed, a dodgy earth terminal on the loom extension I'd made as the AS loom wiring doesn't reach the vertical terminals on aftermarket pumps, all good now.

That leaves the indicators, a lot of testing and careful positioning of the switch suggests the latter might be damaged, I'll see what a replacement does but looking hopeful.