Replacement bush front spring eye 107769

Hi all

I need to replace the bush and I am wondering if it is a job I can do at home? I don't have a lift only a pit. What are the the does and dont's?

If I was to remove spring using the pit is there a need to jack up the car to allow ease of removal or refitting.

Do I need special tools to fit the bush in the eye or should i take it to an engineering shop where they have the right  press?

Is it feasible to do refitting by one's self?  Are there other issues that I might encounter during this replacement?

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Is this a TR4 or Rigid axle TR4A?

Why are you changing the bush?

You will need a jack and axle stands.

9/16" AF spanners and sockets to undo the rear shackle and lower spring to axle U bolt mounting nuts -

First job is to sit the axle on the axle stand after removing the road wheel.  Then push a stand under the chassis frame to hold it up.

Now - detach the spring from the axle - support the spring from below with a jack as you equally undo the 4  nuts that hold the U bolts (spring to axle)

If you have a big aluminium block under the axle - that's good - If not you may need to detach the shocker link from the lower spring plate. 

TR4 - Pull the split pin and use a spanner to remove front spring mounting nut. - If you can get the front spring mounting  pin out - Good - If not slide the spring off it. Do not get excited about removing this front bolt.  If you whack it with a hammer and damage the thread you are in for a major task.

TR4A  Undo and remove the nut and bolt.  Drop spring out.

Remove the two nuts that hold the rear shackle together and remove.

Without a press you may need assistance to replace the front eye bush. 

Renew the rear ones at the same time.

Cheers

Peter W

Here are the factory instructions.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2H2NJt34OffMDVmOTZlZWItYTcyMy00ZDhkLTliOWEtOWU1OWRhNDZhYmRl

Page 4.101

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks Peter its a 1962 TR 4  should have mentioned that. The bush is a bit sloppy and sounds like axle tramp when changing gears especially overdrive.

I suppose i should take it to a garage, put it on a ramp to fully investigate and then plan of action, this will give me a better understanding of the task ahead. 

Sean.

I’d check prop shaft universal joints and tightness of the prop shaft bolts at both ends to kick off.   Could also be simply axle wear.  With a pit you can get below it and heave things about with a lever to see what bushes may be worn.

Test and inspect all you can before reaching for the spares.

Cheers

Peter W