Hello, from across the water. I recently bought a 1980 TR7. It does not have anything with which to hold the trunk lid up---no sliding stay nor gas shocks. There are two holes on the down side of the lid where I assume a bracket screws on as it does on the hood of my car. There is no other place where the bottom of the stay needs to be attached. I am having trouble finding info and parts here although have one possibility. None of the US parts supplies have the brackets although they do supply sliding stays. Any ideas? Attached is a picture of how the stay is supposed to be attached.

2010-01-03-04 Kofferklep steun en linker scharnier.jpg

Hi Brian. What year is your car?  The early ones should had a sliding prop like the hood and your picture. The later ones had 2 gas struts connected to the hinges.   An early car can be converted to gas struts very easily if you can get hold of a pair of later hinges. 

If the bracket for the sliding prop is missing from the trunk it must be a change made on the late cars. My 1980 convertiblehas the bracket  and the gas struts.  

I hope this helps. Laurence. 

Hi Brian,

I agree with Laurence - it depends on the date of your car - the later ones having gas struts which were notorious for failing and then owners having to use their own prop arrangements.

Good news is that parts are now available to replace the struts with uprated versions which last much longer that the BL originals and can cope better with the weight of the boot/trunk  lid. If you have parts missing that show in Theo's photo above such as the light switch etc. I'm sure that these can be bought from the usual suppliers in the States or from S&S or Robsport in the UK. The struts bolt onto the hinge where you can see the silver bolt in the picture and then further back into the body.

Some people do convert the supports back to the manual system from the early cars but this requires welding the bottom bracket onto the underside of the boot gutter.

Hope this helps

Edited by TR8IAN
On 5/24/2021 at 7:27 PM, Brian Hirst said:

Hello, from across the water. I recently bought a 1980 TR7. It does not have anything with which to hold the trunk lid up---no sliding stay nor gas shocks. There are two holes on the down side of the lid where I assume a bracket screws on as it does on the hood of my car. There is no other place where the bottom of the stay needs to be attached. I am having trouble finding info and parts here although have one possibility. None of the US parts supplies have the brackets although they do supply sliding stays. Any ideas? Attached is a picture of how the stay is supposed to be attached.

2010-01-03-04 Kofferklep steun en linker scharnier.jpg

Odd Hedberg fitted the early sliding stay on his TR8 by making up the lower bracket and bonding/riveting it to the body.  The boot lid should already have the captive nuts built in. I saved a couple of his pictures if that is any help.

boot_stay_03 Odd.jpg

boot_stay_02 Odd.jpg

boot_stay_01 Odd.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Great information!  Thanks, dursley!

How is the original bottom bracket attached to the body? I am considering taking one off the parts car at the junk yard or making my own.  

I suspect it is spot welded, in which case, it will be a PITA to do at the yard.

Edited by grndsm
15 hours ago, grndsm said:

Great information!  Thanks, dursley!

How is the original bottom bracket attached to the body? I am considering taking one off the parts car at the junk yard or making my own.  

I suspect it is spot welded, in which case, it will be a PITA to do at the yard.

Battery operated angle grinder then take the whole section of drip channel with the bracket then you can drill the welds out at home.

Stuart.