potential fuel pump seal issue

For those of us who wish to retain the original fuel pump and to replace the shaft seal, which raises the cost of the kit by a factor of 3 or 4, I would advise a very close examination of the shaft end. Mine was crudely stamped and had rough sharp edges around the end that needs to be forced through the seal. The old shaft end was quite smooth. I'm sure others have noticed this but I didn't find it mentioned. A few minutes with a file and abrasives would be advisable.

Having rebuilt quite a few pumps in the past, this is the first time I've replaced that seal. Perhaps not necessary?

Tom

fuel pump shaft.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So I guess I'll continue this as there turned out to be other issues. After installing a fuel cock and re-piping most of the system with the correct nuts, olives and pipes I failed to stop the slight leak at the pump connections. When I swapped the pump for another, using the same tubes, nuts and olives the leak went away. The second pump, a newer but used one, does not have a primer so I'd like to use the original.

So like the old faucet that needs the seat reground, is there any way to fix the pump? The seats do look a bit rough. Perhaps fixing an olive on a piece of straight tube (solder?) and spinning in a drill with grinding compound? I do not see anything that looks like a crack but probably should get some crack detection dye. Other ideas?

Tom