Eurovision Song Disaster

Hi Folks,

will anybody own up to watching the Euro last night.

I didn't

Having heard a snippet or two of our contribution 'Embers' sung by James Newman (where did he come from) I was appalled by the lack of enthusiasm to win this biased race.

It is a dirge. The musicality isn't there and there is no joy in hearing it.  Nul points was about right.

The comment from the Telegraph this morning was about right - we were never going to win because of Brexit but at least we should have tried.

The visual image of the lad trying to get his song over was depressing to say the least. Draped in a 3/4 length black leather coat he looked like a black tent on  a bare stage

Possibly the formula  that we have for getting it wrong is that in the beginning was had a tune that won year after year. Not because it was great but because the others were awful

Over time the other countries improved but we stood still (rather like the history or football, cricket etc) and they left us behind.  We are now the not so new Norway (Perennial 'nul pointers')

Sandy,& Lulu would be turning in their graves if they were dead

Roger

You seem to know a lot about something you ‘didn’t watch’ Roger :-)

Just write one song called ‘Nil Points’ (shouldn’t take long) and have it sung each year as a standing-joke.

...... Andy 

2 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

Just write one song called ‘Nil Points’ (shouldn’t take long) and have it sung each year as a standing-joke.

...... Andy 

:lol::lol::lol:

25 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

You seem to know a lot about something you ‘didn’t watch’ Roger :-)

I can vouch for the fact he certainly didn’t watch it live. We had Grand Prix Qualifying and Football and an equally terrible old black and white film on last night. He must have watched it on line this morning :ph34r:

Possibly marginally better than the Glastonbury "Live" event that was impossible to access for the first couple of hours due to the streaming company cock up.

Stuart.

To all my doubters :)

I heard the song in full this morning for the first time (previously snippets that I could not avoid ) on Radio Jackie and can understand the ZERO points - truly awful and actually pointless.

I then read about the competition in the online Telegraph to see why we were treated so badly. I ended up pitying the foreign listeners.

It wasn't the worst song but Greece and Cyprus will always get at least 12 points.

I think I may compose a song for next years  EuroCock-up - it will be titled  " The Brexit Song ( up yours Barnier)"

Roger

The only part of Eurovision ever worth watching was Terry Wogan's  comic commentary, songs were invariably poor from most countries and the voting was somewhat political.

When Terry left I never found the need to watch again.

Alan 

My kids absolutely love Eurovision, so last night the whole family were glued to the box (in three countries across Europe) with the family WhatsApp pinging "Wogan" comments every few minutes. A very entertaining evening was had by all. The result is immaterial, the bad songs, performances, sets, costumes, sex as a substitute for a good song/performance (from both sexes), political alliances etc. are unmissable. Graham Norton, although not in the same league as Sir Terry, was equally entertaining at times.

I voted for France as the song and performance were excellent. I thought Italy was a poor imitation of Rock and Roll and got nil point from me. 

Mick

I got to song number 9, halfway through, my ears couldn’t take any more, flat lacked tone it was awful and it was the UK entry. Clearly I don’t have the Forey family stamina.

Like Roger the F1 qualifier seamed a better option, although not a lot. The actual race wasn’t a lot better but to see ............. come placed 3rd. 

Perhaps BBC should stop investing in Eurovision and more in good journalist 

Watched it, but missed UK as was making a cuppa !  It is a glorious celebration of visual techo-kitsch, the "music" seems to be incidental. Afterwards I listened to Orbison and friends Black and White Night to remind me what real talent sounds like.

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Cobbold said:

...listened to Orbison and friends Black and White Night...

When I read “Orbison and friends” I thought:

“Ah…

Of course…

The traveling Wilburys.”

(Happy birthday Bob.)

Then when I read “Black and White” I thought:

“Ah…

Of course…

He must be referring to the first ever night that Colour Television came to the UK and the first ever colour program was ‘The Black and White Minstrel Show’”

(A rather odd choice for colour television.)

Then my reading difficulties came into play and I read it again as:

“White Night” which I took as a reference to “Knights in white satin.”

Then I gave up.

Charlie.

3 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Watched it, but missed UK as was making a cuppa !  It is a glorious celebration of visual techo-kitsch, the "music" seems to be incidental. Afterwards I listened to Orbison and friends Black and White Night to remind me what real talent sounds like.

Peter

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Peter,

your cuppa making saved your ears from agony.

Orbison is certainly good therapy after that onslaught.

Roger

Agreed Gents

Big O, the Willburys, Fleetwood Mac, White Trash, Pearl Jam

But then, all the above can write a song, then sing it . . . . . whilst playing instruments . . . . Gasp!

Almost forgot . . .Hurricane Smith also meets the criteria

10 hours ago, Charlie D said:

When I read “Orbison and friends” I thought:

“Ah…

Of course…

The traveling Wilburys.”

(Happy birthday Bob.)

Then when I read “Black and White” I thought:

“Ah…

Of course…

He must be referring to the first ever night that Colour Television came to the UK and the first ever colour program was ‘The Black and White Minstrel Show’”

(A rather odd choice for colour television.)

Then my reading difficulties came into play and I read it again as:

“White Night” which I took as a reference to “Knights in white satin.”

Then I gave up.

Charlie.

1992 CD with Springsteen, Costello, Raite, Warnes, Tunstall, Waitts etc and a very tight rhythm section. All his big hits.