Overdrive switch, to dip switch,

Hi,  my handsome friends 

Part 2 of the overdrive switch 

Carrying on with the re wireing of the car,  and getting to the overdrive switch, as expected there were 2 wires soldered on to the switch 

on an of switch, I looked at the switch to examine the condition, and realised there were 3 terminals, (1 not being used)  I soldered a wire on to the spare terminal 

And the switch then becomes an on on switch, from the centre terminal, this then becomes a proper dip switch 

I can only presume this switch was in production on another car as indicators 

20210521_201241.jpg

Interesting. I have a dip switch which I bought from another car (austin Westminster perhaps) which is the same as the OD switch. Guessing it just has an extra wire soldered on as you have done. 

Hi Pinky

I think the switch body is fairly common and LUCAS a basically changed the stalk / end and the number / colour of the wires to suit a wide variety of applications.

Of all the current repro switches I’ve found this to be one of the better as it’s fairly simple so if you can’t make it work maybe try a new one. A fat soldering iron sometimes melts the gubbins inside a little.

FYI changing the stalk is a pain but bending one to another setting and swapping the end to a TR one can be done if you’re careful.

regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

having seen Pinky's OD switch/dip switch Mod' I thought wow - what a good idea.

I don't mind the foot operated dip switch, but many repro's are useless, and my son has serious trouble with it.

Firstly he only knows modern cars and hasn't a clue where the foot switch is.

Secondly he has great plates of meat.

So I purchased an OD switch. It had a black stalk, but under the black (heat shrink sleeve) there is Chrome/Nickle.

Next problem is that the stalk is too long. The new switch is 6" (stalk + knob).  The ones in my 4A are 4.5".

So, I cut 1.5" from the stalk. The stalk is 5mm diameter so it is easy to turn it down to 3mm and then tap it M3 x 6mm long.

The knob is then drilled 2.5mm (#40 drill) and tapped M3.

The crank on the stalk should make it lay behind the existing light switch so not too conspicuous.

Roger

DSC_5929a.jpg

DSC_5930a.jpg

DSC_5931a.jpg

DSC_5932a.jpg

Edited by RogerH
50 minutes ago, SpitFireSIX said:

Always nice to see clear pictures with clear presentation.

Is the switch only two positions?

It is a SPDT  (single pole double toggle). One position to give dip beam and the other position for main beam.

Roger 

Hi Folks,

I installed the OD switch today and it all went well (except when one cuts wires willy nilly - They both have a lot to answer for, especially that Nilly).

What I found - If you are using relays on your headlights then you do not need that stonking great cable near the switch  28 x 0.3mm - 28amps my ear'ole.

The relays take 100 - 200 mA so, many of the ebay light gauge wires would do the job.  Sadly I already had the 28x0.3

Also - the power to the 'dip switch' comes from the light switch. This is about an 1" away from each other. So rather than run extra wires here and there simply use a short length  between the two. 

Warning - the main beam indicator light takes its feed from this BLUE wire as it runs down to the original dippy switch. This can easily be tied in.

One very good point in using the OD switch.   With the side lights are ON the light switch masks the dippy switch, so nice and tidy.

In this mode the dipply switch is not used.

With the light switch in the ON condition the Dimbly switch comes into view - Super handy.

As for the willy nilly wire cutting - remember the old adage - look once, cut twice, swear three times.  :o:P

Roger

Very nicely written roger, with a little humer thrown in ,

I used three thin wires placed in shrink rap, and pulled the new wires up through the the chanell, (relay)

Nightmare job as every thing had to be undone to achieve this,  then the wire came of the horn ring, after every thing had been tightened 

So had to do it all again, to replace the horn cable,  got there in the end,  I wish I had replaced all of the wires to thin wires, as this would have allowed more room 

In the chanel, always a little nervous around the the stearing wheel as  have had smoke coming from this area every thing now is on relays 

Pink 

Hi Pinky,

indeed, the relays should allow much thinner wire.

One day I may do it all again and replace everything with small wire.

The Mod' works well - wish  had done it before the 2010 RBRR - my son did go on about  "that bl**dy switch"

Roger