Both my 4A and 250 could do with the seat bottoms overhauling, its the usual tale of the foam disintegrating. I got a bit of a shock when I looked up the price of replacement seat foam sets. I realy only need the bottoms but every one appears just to sell full sets. Has anyone come across a cheaper alternative?

Hi Phil

I replaced the bottom on my 4a last year I bought some good quality seat foam from ebay( I think it was 3inch thick but check yours) and cut using a bread knife to size tapering the front to mirror the original. I carefully cut the bolster from the base and glued to new foam came out very well and is very comfortable

Chris

I had the same issue with my TR6, the foams were basically OK but the drivers seat cover was shot.  The foams are not really reusable if you change the base covers and a set of new foams was approaching the prices of a new set of covers which were expensive enough!

After looking round on the internet I think I used anyfoam.co.uk who supply foam cut to size. I ordered a square of very high density foam for the seat base and three trapezoidal sections of high density foam for the side and front bolsters,  The foam pieces were then further shaped using a bandsaw to get nearer to the original shapes and profiles.  The cost of the foam for the seat bases and the side and front bolsters cut to size was around £30 if I remember correctly.  The photos show teh bolsters as delivered, the bolsters and base foam trimmed for the seat base and the covered base.

This worked reasonably well although it is possible to see a slight line on the fitted cover due to the change in profile of the bolsters- smoothing the angle to a curve would probably have been worthwhile.  The finished seats are comfortable.

P1080865S.jpg

P1080866S.jpg

P1080870S.jpg

Phil 

Chris referenced his " slight line " being visible on his fitted seat covers. It's worth purchasing some Scrim , ( Ebay  )

A light thin foam material available in different sizes 3 , 5, 6 mm , etc. Fitted over the main foam parts. The thinner end of the spectrum is quite adequate to give you a professional finish under the covers ( plus you can always "double up " if the single sheet is not sufficient.)

Usual spray glue application. Using your spare pair of hands , lay the scrim sheet on the centre line and works outwards ,

lowering the sheet as you go. It's quite light easy material to work with and a pair of scissors will easily trim off surplus 

edges. There's a reason why professional trimmers use it and the extra few quid , is money well  spent.

Good luck with it. Bob

Just taken a seat swab apart to get the foam out, what a struggle, however I found a nice little file inside and a 1956 sixpence. I have recieved an accessory catalogue from MGOC and note foam seat bases for an MGB is a mere £45 plus VAT, what a difference to triumph prices..