Back after Engine rebuild!

Gary from TRGB, delivered my TR4a back to me this morning after a total engine rebuild.  I live in a county with not a single mile of motorway, and very few dual carriageways, so my motoring is mainly back country roads and trips to the Welsh mountains, my request to Gary was for a torquey engine with it's main grunt at the lower rev range.  The engine now has 89mm pistons,  a Piper High Torque cam, and a stage 2 head.  It's as close to a brand new engine as you can get.   I also had a Phoenix header and big bore exhaust fitted, with of course everything balanced.

What a difference, due to the weather I only took it for a short run, but wow!  It now feels like the engine the car deserves.  Can't wait for some dry weather and get it out on some twisty stuff.

Small 1.jpg

Small 2.jpg

Gary recommends 500 miles of general driving, not allowing the engine to labour and not over revving, but on my roads (we don't have a single mile of motorway in Herefordshire), it'll just be my usual bumbling along the twisty stuff at 50-60, so less than 3000 revs.  When I get close to the 500miles,  I'll pootle over to TRGB and get the head bolts re-torqued and they'll check over everything else. 

Gary and his guys give great service, with good communication along the way.  Due to the covid problems it took a bit longer than normal, but it was worth the wait.  It's the sort of thing I would have done myself a few years ago, but a serious hand injury makes doing this sort of job a bit difficult for me now, and by the time all of the machining and balancing had been outsourced (if it moves it has been balanced!), the cost would not have been that much less.

I did get them to do a few other little jobs while they had it.  New radiator and aluminium cowl and I now have the best fit of any TR4A windows that I, or indeed Gary, has ever seen plus a TR6 two speed heater.  

If it hadn't been for the lockdowns, I'd have spent more on my long haul holiday.

Edited by Colin Symonds

The drivers door window was replaced as it had the wrong glass in from the time when TR4a glass wasn't available and I believe TR6 glass was often used.  They reconditioned the regulators and the fit of the glass now is as near perfect as can be, tight and even all round.  Oh and that's with the Surrey hard top fitted, which as you know can be very finicky.

Edited by Colin Symonds

Hi Colin,

that looks very nice and I wish you much fun with the reconditioned engine!

Please allow me two questions:

I see 2 cables direct on the battery to a plug. This is for charging with a battery charger?

You fitted the PCV different from the original setup because of your brake booster. Where did you connect the downwards going hose?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Congrats. That looks neat. That’s a hefty battery, 95Ah, from what I can see. Any particular reason?. Mine runs well with a much smaller one

3 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Colin,

that looks very nice and I wish you much fun with the reconditioned engine!

Please allow me two questions:

I see 2 cables direct on the battery to a plug. This is for charging with a battery charger?

You fitted the PCV different from the original setup because of your brake booster. Where did you connect the downwards going hose?

Ciao, Marco

Yes the cable on the battery is for a CTEK battery charger.

The PCV down pipe vents to the ground, but as you'll see I have a hybrid system with a TR4 style crank case breather as well going to a catch tank on the bulkhead.

Edited by Colin Symonds

Hi Colin,

Looks great, have fun once we get a spring/summer?

One observation, the battery terminals look very close to the battery clamp? My battery is the other way round with the terminals at the back. When you look at the many photo's on Google of TR4/A engine  bays they show it fitted either way? Not sure what is factory.

However as a precaution I would insulate the battery clamp with a rubber U section at the front, or as I have done with heat shrink tube completely along its length.

Rich

I am in complete agreement with Rich about the proximity of the battery connectors to the clamp - even getting a spanner onto the clamp could be risky.

And, like Rich, I have my battery the other way round, with connectors toward the bulkhead - but for that, one needs a battery with the connectors the other way about.

Ian Cornish

I think that having the battery connectors very close to the bulkhead would be as dangerous, if not more... in my case, my battery clamp has a shorter lip and the battery is smaller (I actually use a 55Ah battery with no issues), so no risk

Mine is also a 95Ah battery for no other reason that it fitted perfectly, terminals were correct and the price was good. I too was concerned by the proximity of the clamp to the cables and so stuck a piece of surplus A-post seal over the clamp.

Cheers,

Tim

1629930957_20210522_103647_resized(002).thumb.jpg.6ff936cad07f8761d1d6f537e45627a9.jpg

8 hours ago, ianc said:

I am in complete agreement with Rich about the proximity of the battery connectors to the clamp - even getting a spanner onto the clamp could be risky.

And, like Rich, I have my battery the other way round, with connectors toward the bulkhead - but for that, one needs a battery with the connectors the other way about.

Ian Cornish

Personally I don't like the battery terminals close to the bulkhead, and I have never had any problem with using a spanner safely in their current position , but to keep you happy I'll put some shrink wrap onto the clamp.  

Colin - good idea, that should make it safer. 

It's surprising how much energy is stored in even a small battery.  I recall that some 60 years ago in our company Social Club's garage, the owner of an 1172cc Ford was fitting a new pull cable between dashboard and the actuating lever atop the starter motor. 

He pushed the cable through the dashboard and it flopped down at the starter motor upon the connection to the battery.  Those of us nearby watched as his brand new starter cable started to smoke, glowed bright red and then melted - at which point, the burning ceased.

Just repeating some other advice about electrics:  always best to remove watch, rings, bracelets when working on the car as a short can inflict a very nasty burn.  Also, no dangling necktie or scarf when leaning over a running engine as strangulation can be quite painful!

Ian Cornish

My family started and ran the first Automobile Electricians in the UK, started in 1912 converting the London taxi cabs from acetylene lighting to electric lamps.  Most garages in South London brought their cars to our garage for electrical repairs.  So I need no lessons in this area, but thanks for the thought.